Thread: Surrounded by a very diverse variety of law enforcement.

Surrounded by a very diverse variety of law enforcement.

O.K. , I admit the title is a little misleading, but true.

Requiring the signature of my local sheriff, I go to his office only to be told he's at a local restaurant eating lunch. Not wanting to spend my time waiting around, I decide walking into the restaurant and simply asking for his signature will save time. So, I drive on over and go in.

Needless to say, as the county sheriff, he wasn't eating alone. As I approach the table, I can't help but notice the four sheriff's deputies, two Bowling Green city officers, one Louisiana City officer, two Missouri State Troopers, .....

...holy cow! At the next table, there's the mayor, state's attorney, the city clerk, and several judges. As I'm standing there with my Springfield Armory 1911 holstered on my hip, the Sheriff explains that they just had a local area law enforcement meeting at the courthouse and decided to all go out for lunch.

Which I happened to stand in the middle of for five minutes surrounded by every single type of law enforcement representative in my area. The only thing I failed to see was a game warden.

Talk about "running the gauntlet". I thanked the Sheriff, apologized for interrupting his lunch, and walked out of the restaurant without so much as a blink from anyone. I'm just a little surprised that, with all the badges present, I didn't even get even a cursory question about why I'm carrying, or what for, or anything. Not a blink.

My guess is that, since I was standing there talking to the Sheriff, and he wasn't saying anything about it, the "herd mentality" might have been present and nobody else wanted to be the one to be different by asking questions. I just felt rather "vulnerable", is all. (And DAMMIT, I didn't have my recorder running. Out of all the times I wish i was recording! I'm an idiot!)

You had your weapon safely holstered, so I guess they didn't see a reason to question it (Lucky on your part). Most Police officers are good about recognizing that citizens have the right to carry "openly" on their person in the state of Missouri. As long as you do not touch your weapon, or make any references to the weapon in question, they should have no reason to question it.

Yep, you live in God's Country!

Quote Originally Posted by Superlite27 View Post
    O.K. , I admit the title is a little misleading, but true.

Requiring the signature of my local sheriff, I go to his office only to be told he's at a local restaurant eating lunch. Not wanting to spend my time waiting around, I decide walking into the restaurant and simply asking for his signature will save time. So, I drive on over and go in.

Needless to say, as the county sheriff, he wasn't eating alone. As I approach the table, I can't help but notice the four sheriff's deputies, two Bowling Green city officers, one Louisiana City officer, two Missouri State Troopers, .....

...holy cow! At the next table, there's the mayor, state's attorney, the city clerk, and several judges. As I'm standing there with my Springfield Armory 1911 holstered on my hip, the Sheriff explains that they just had a local area law enforcement meeting at the courthouse and decided to all go out for lunch.

Which I happened to stand in the middle of for five minutes surrounded by every single type of law enforcement representative in my area. The only thing I failed to see was a game warden.

Talk about "running the gauntlet". I thanked the Sheriff, apologized for interrupting his lunch, and walked out of the restaurant without so much as a blink from anyone. I'm just a little surprised that, with all the badges present, I didn't even get even a cursory question about why I'm carrying, or what for, or anything. Not a blink.

My guess is that, since I was standing there talking to the Sheriff, and he wasn't saying anything about it, the "herd mentality" might have been present and nobody else wanted to be the one to be different by asking questions. I just felt rather "vulnerable", is all. (And DAMMIT, I didn't have my recorder running. Out of all the times I wish i was recording! I'm an idiot!)
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

But did you get him to sign?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Surrounded by a very diverse variety of law enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

stay safe.
    +1, you left out the important part!
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post

stay safe.
    Of course! I simply mentioned the upcoming election along with a mild implication that I was still undecided. As he handed the signed form 4's back, I inquired where one might obtain a campaign bumper sticker.

Positive reinforcement, people! Positive reinforcement!

Just to test the theory, go in next time with your hand on your weapon and snarl at them as you walk through. Just curious to see what they do.

Glad you got away clean.....this time.
    "I can live for two weeks on a good compliment."
    ~Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Superlite27 View Post
    Of course! I simply mentioned the upcoming election along with a mild implication that I was still undecided. As he handed the signed form 4's back, I inquired where one might obtain a campaign bumper sticker.

Positive reinforcement, people! Positive reinforcement!
    Exactly!!! Negatives are easy, positive requires a little more thought. Let's be positive for 2013 and 'er done!
    If you pull it, you use it. If you pull it and you don't use it, you've done some thing wrong and you might not get another chance. Think about it before you pack it!
    I worked 24/7 for 2A OC rights! Don't like what I did? Try it yourself, it was my full time job!
    Certified NRA Range Safety Officer - RSO

What was he eating? A manly dish or some frou-frou dish that his wife tells him to eat.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

That's the way it should be . Good for you .

I see LEO in Jeff City and Columbia all the time and they are very cordial and polite when they see me . I am as well, so I'm sure that helps .

Accomplished Advocate
    Did they ask you what department you are from Officer?

Sorry, could not resist the history review~~
    John C. Eastman Associate Dean of Chapman University’s School of Law "the Second Amendment, like its sister amendments, does not confer a right but rather recognizes a natural right inherent in our humanity."