• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Surrounded by a very diverse variety of law enforcement.

Superlite27

O.K. , I admit the title is a little misleading, but true.

Requiring the signature of my local sheriff, I go to his office only to be told he's at a local restaurant eating lunch. Not wanting to spend my time waiting around, I decide walking into the restaurant and simply asking for his signature will save time. So, I drive on over and go in.

Needless to say, as the county sheriff, he wasn't eating alone. As I approach the table, I can't help but notice the four sheriff's deputies, two Bowling Green city officers, one Louisiana City officer, two Missouri State Troopers, .....

...holy cow! At the next table, there's the mayor, state's attorney, the city clerk, and several judges. As I'm standing there with my Springfield Armory 1911 holstered on my hip, the Sheriff explains that they just had a local area law enforcement meeting at the courthouse and decided to all go out for lunch.

Which I happened to stand in the middle of for five minutes surrounded by every single type of law enforcement representative in my area. The only thing I failed to see was a game warden.

Talk about "running the gauntlet". I thanked the Sheriff, apologized for interrupting his lunch, and walked out of the restaurant without so much as a blink from anyone. I'm just a little surprised that, with all the badges present, I didn't even get even a cursory question about why I'm carrying, or what for, or anything. Not a blink.

My guess is that, since I was standing there talking to the Sheriff, and he wasn't saying anything about it, the "herd mentality" might have been present and nobody else wanted to be the one to be different by asking questions. I just felt rather "vulnerable", is all. (And DAMMIT, I didn't have my recorder running. Out of all the times I wish i was recording! I'm an idiot!)

SixGunCowboy

You had your weapon safely holstered, so I guess they didn't see a reason to question it (Lucky on your part). Most Police officers are good about recognizing that citizens have the right to carry "openly" on their person in the state of Missouri. As long as you do not touch your weapon, or make any references to the weapon in question, they should have no reason to question it.

mspgunner

Yep, you live in God's Country!

O.K. , I admit the title is a little misleading, but true.

Requiring the signature of my local sheriff, I go to his office only to be told he's at a local restaurant eating lunch. Not wanting to spend my time waiting around, I decide walking into the restaurant and simply asking for his signature will save time. So, I drive on over and go in.

Needless to say, as the county sheriff, he wasn't eating alone. As I approach the table, I can't help but notice the four sheriff's deputies, two Bowling Green city officers, one Louisiana City officer, two Missouri State Troopers, .....

...holy cow! At the next table, there's the mayor, state's attorney, the city clerk, and several judges. As I'm standing there with my Springfield Armory 1911 holstered on my hip, the Sheriff explains that they just had a local area law enforcement meeting at the courthouse and decided to all go out for lunch.

Which I happened to stand in the middle of for five minutes surrounded by every single type of law enforcement representative in my area. The only thing I failed to see was a game warden.

Talk about "running the gauntlet". I thanked the Sheriff, apologized for interrupting his lunch, and walked out of the restaurant without so much as a blink from anyone. I'm just a little surprised that, with all the badges present, I didn't even get even a cursory question about why I'm carrying, or what for, or anything. Not a blink.

My guess is that, since I was standing there talking to the Sheriff, and he wasn't saying anything about it, the "herd mentality" might have been present and nobody else wanted to be the one to be different by asking questions. I just felt rather "vulnerable", is all. (And DAMMIT, I didn't have my recorder running. Out of all the times I wish i was recording! I'm an idiot!)

Superlite27

But did you get him to sign?

stay safe.

Of course! I simply mentioned the upcoming election along with a mild implication that I was still undecided. As he handed the signed form 4's back, I inquired where one might obtain a campaign bumper sticker.

Positive reinforcement, people! Positive reinforcement!

Redbaron007

Just to test the theory, go in next time with your hand on your weapon and snarl at them as you walk through. Just curious to see what they do. :D

Glad you got away clean.....this time. :cool:

mspgunner

Of course! I simply mentioned the upcoming election along with a mild implication that I was still undecided. As he handed the signed form 4's back, I inquired where one might obtain a campaign bumper sticker.

Positive reinforcement, people! Positive reinforcement!

Exactly!!! Negatives are easy, positive requires a little more thought. Let's be positive for 2013 and 'er done!

Festus_Hagen

That's the way it should be . Good for you . :D

I see LEO in Jeff City and Columbia all the time and they are very cordial and polite when they see me . I am as well, so I'm sure that helps . :cool:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Did they ask you what department you are from Officer?

Sorry, could not resist the history review~~