Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new 1911 for EDC.

Looking for a new 1911 for EDC.

Yes stupid time for me. Im looking at getting a brand new replacment 1911... I can't get in contact with Auto Ord and when I do im on hold for an hour+ then get hung up on. No answers to my emails too. So I think im going to replace it as it only has a one year warranty and customer service needs ALOT work. Been trying to get in contact since Franktown Meet and greet. No luck, Not happy about it. I have had things like this happen before so Im going to cut my losses before I get to deep. Kinda wanting a rail gun. ill keep the auto ord as a practice thing and for my collection.

Im looking at these ones. any others would help.

Taurus PT1911
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...208RD%20Blued/

AMC Classic II Gov
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...Hard%20Chrome/

Taurus 1911-B1
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...208RD%20Blued/

Taurus M1911
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ULLSHEAD%20SS/

Para Ord
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...5%20ACP%20w/F/

Magnum Research DE1911G
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ot;%208+1%20W/

American Tactical ATIGFX45THUN FX 1911
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...;%208+1%20Woo/

Sig Sauer 1911R45TACPA 1911 TacPac 45 ACP 5" 8+1
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...+8%2B1+Ergo+Gr

You also might consider the Colt 1911 Rail Gun. I had one and sold it to fund another purchase. It was my favorite 1911 and well built.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/Colt...ltRailGun.aspx

I am a Sig Sauer fan for their P220 and have shot a few Sig 1911's and liked them. I don't know that their brand reputation is built on the 1911 platform though.

ETA: Also the Marine Corp. just ordered the Colt Rail Gun as their new firearm. http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gears...-is-done-deal/
    Last edited by 45acpForMe; 08-27-2012 at 09:57 PM.

http://www.downrange.tv/blog/remingt...ressions/3296/

I don't know much about these Remington's, but the price ain't bad ($700.00). They don't have a rail though, unless they have a railed version, I don't know.
    Out of that list you have, IMO, the railed Taurus and the Sig are the best looking ones.
    watch your top knot !

Armscor/ RIA

I have a High Standard Crusader made by Armscor, I like it very much and it has a 3.5 in barrel. I have also had a RIA GI that I liked alot but traded to fund another gun. THe Armscor guns might even be a little less than you were looking to pay.
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    I have a High Standard Crusader made by Armscor, I like it very much and it has a 3.5 in barrel. I have also had a RIA GI that I liked alot but traded to fund another gun. THe Armscor guns might even be a little less than you were looking to pay.
    ^ This.
    And by all accounts, most folks who have gotten one/used one/actually own them, seem to be most pleased with them.
    Phillipine company, so not sure how spot-on customer support would be, if needed, but I havent heard any negatives, myself.
    I certainly plan to grab one up, myself, IF any of my local shops get any back in.
    Everything else-except the new Ruger 1911, seems to be in abundance- these? They fly out the door faster than I can get there to grab one.

And-this particular model has the rail you seek- most of the rest are basic 1911 govt. style, or just have the Novaks mounted to a govt' model.

http://www.discountgunsales.com/rock...l-pr-5571.html

Quote Originally Posted by j4l View Post
    ^ This.
    And by all accounts, most folks who have gotten one/used one/actually own them, seem to be most pleased with them.
    Phillipine company, so not sure how spot-on customer support would be, if needed, but I havent heard any negatives, myself.
    I certainly plan to grab one up, myself, IF any of my local shops get any back in.
    Everything else-except the new Ruger 1911, seems to be in abundance- these? They fly out the door faster than I can get there to grab one.
    By all accounts the Customer Service by Armscor is awesome, gun carries a lifetime warranty. Warranty work is done in Nevada. No, I don't work for them
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

Another recommendation for Armscor/Rock Island. Great company with a great reputation.
    If I ever buy a 1911 again, it will be Armscor.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnMoses View Post
    Another recommendation for Armscor/Rock Island. Great company with a great reputation.
    If I ever buy a 1911 again, it will be Armscor.
    I thought about a RIA about 10 years ago before they were outsourced. If I ever buy another it will probably be a Paraordinance, just because they are locally manufactured. They have a good rep also around here. I built mine with milsurp parts, unfortunately I need to replace the safety as it is not the button style, but the later style.

I have both a Taurus PT1911 and an RIA compact, I have a son with a full size RIA and his step father has one as well, they all function perfectly. I can recommend either of them. I've also owned a Kimber and a SA. Honestly they have all gone bang when I pulled the trigger as long as I did my part on QC of the ammo I make.

I also recommend RIA for a starter 1911. I have two of them and they have both functioned flawlessly. I also have a Taurus PT1911 which I am currently carrying, and no problems there either. The great thing about 1911s is that they are easily modified and most of the work can be done by the average man.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

I used to have photos up of the internals of the PT 1911 - they look like they've been thrown through a pratt and whitney jett engine before being put into the gun. Not to mention the machine marks and ****** up inside of the frame.

Do yourself a favor - don't even consider the taurus. I have owned a few 1911s from taurus. 2 of the 3 functioned fine. One has a ****** up sear right out of the box (dangerous) and BRAND NEW had to go back for repairs. The other had internals (to include the inside of the frame) that looked like they were thrown through a jet engine, and the other I sold purely based of the fact that the rail was too big to find a holster I liked for it.

Now I own a RIA and kick myself for not just getting one of those in the first place. GREAT QUALITY for a GREAT PRICE. I carry mine often. GI model. I love it. I plan on buying another RIA in the near future.

^or you can spend $1100 on another 1911 with a few fancy looking features that performs the same as the RIA O_O
    Last edited by Schlitz; 08-30-2012 at 05:54 PM. Reason: sp
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

I'm sorry you had issues with your PT-1911, mine is flawless, close inspection of all parts reveals no issues what so ever. Some are good, others perhaps are made on monday or friday. In fact the sear looks better than the one in my RIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    I used to have photos up of the internals of the PT 1911 - they look like they've been thrown through a pratt and whitney jett engine before being put into the gun. Not to mention the machine marks and ****** up inside of the frame.

Do yourself a favor - don't even consider the taurus. I have owned a few 1911s from taurus. 2 of the 3 functioned fine. One has a ****** up sear right out of the box (dangerous) and BRAND NEW had to go back for repairs. The other had internals (to include the inside of the frame) that looked like they were thrown through a jet engine, and the other I sold purely based of the fact that the rail was too big to find a holster I liked for it.

Now I own a RIA and kick myself for not just getting one of those in the first place. GREAT QUALITY for a GREAT PRICE. I carry mine often. GI model. I love it. I plan on buying another RIA in the near future.

^or you can spend $1100 on another 1911 with a few fancy looking features that performs the same as the RIA O_O

Ignore the kid, at least until he's old enough to legally purchase something other than airsoft guns, plz.

I am leaning to the ria 2011. I might get the better one with the fiber sights and cz grips. I allready have a holster lined up that can take a railed 1911 with a light attached and hold a second mag. The ria will also leave me room for my first 10/22

Ignore the kid, at least until he's old enough to legally purchase something other than airsoft guns, plz.

0/10

You need to practice your trolling over at Glock Talk before you try to start trolling here... 0/10 bro...0/10...
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfstanus View Post
    I am leaning to the ria 2011. I might get the better one with the fiber sights and cz grips. I allready have a holster lined up that can take a railed 1911 with a light attached and hold a second mag. The ria will also leave me room for my first 10/22
    just so you know, that rail looks cool at first, but becomes a burden. You may have a holster lined up, but you will find that you are more limited to the variety of holsters out there. I'm somewhat of a 1911 purist, but not really, if that makes sense - what I'm saying is I despise 1911's with rails after owning that taurus PT1911 w/ rail.

Get the RIA GI or Tactical, but not the railed. This is my suggestion and in no way am I trying to cram my opinion down your throat - not that I can...this is the internet after all.

Well it's a toss up between a ria 2011 and a tarus pt199 or a pt92fs

RIA...i'll just leave this here...

Last edited by Schlitz; 09-02-2012 at 09:24 PM.

Sold on ria... Now to high cap or not to high cap. $459... Leaves me with enough money to do things with <_<

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfstanus View Post
    Sold on ria... Now to high cap or not to high cap. $459... Leaves me with enough money to do things with <_<
    My vote: stay traditional and avoid the hi-cap, you'll appreciate your classic 1911 more in the long run.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

stay traditional.

1. .45 ACP is expensive to shoot, you'll be less tempted to burn through 14 rounds every time you shoot a mag

2. magazines and parts for the traditional 1911 are EVERYWHERE and plentiful. you may find yourself paying WAY too much for a replacement part or magazine for this rare double stack 1911

3. the double stack feels like you're holding a 2 liter bottle, not a 1911. the classic feel of that slim 1911 in your hand cannot be replaced

4. 9 rounds of .45 ACP is plenty

Quote Originally Posted by Schlitz View Post
    stay traditional.

1. .45 ACP is expensive to shoot, you'll be less tempted to burn through 14 rounds every time you shoot a mag

2. magazines and parts for the traditional 1911 are EVERYWHERE and plentiful. you may find yourself paying WAY too much for a replacement part or magazine for this rare double stack 1911

3. the double stack feels like you're holding a 2 liter bottle, not a 1911. the classic feel of that slim 1911 in your hand cannot be replaced

4. 9 rounds of .45 ACP is plenty
    On this one, I'll actually agree with Jr. He's paid close attention here, and to the movies, obviously.
    In a 1911, ya traditional works. And, it's a .45. Unlike the girlie-gun users, you are less likely to find yourself needing to spray n pray and hope one of the 16 rounds at least penetrated to accomplish the task. 9mm/40 users.., well, those folks need all the ammo they can carry...

On this one, I'll actually agree with Jr. He's paid close attention here, and to the movies, obviously.
    In a 1911, ya traditional works. And, it's a .45. Unlike the girlie-gun users, you are less likely to find yourself needing to spray n pray and hope one of the 16 rounds at least penetrated to accomplish the task. 9mm/40 users.., well, those folks need all the ammo they can carry...
    you try too hard. 1/10 again. best I can do.

I have a Ruger SR1911 that is AMAZING.

I took it to the range the day I bought it put put 250 rounds through it. I couldn't miss. I am not the worlds best handgun marksman but this thing was making me look like it. At 25 yards I kept a 7 inch group with iron sights.

The trigger is light and crisp. All the moving parts fit and slide comfortably. A gunsmith could probably polish things up a bit but it's not needed.

All this and $699 for a price tag.
    What sort of man would put a known criminal in charge of a major branch of government? Apart from, say, the average voter.

I believe in freedom, Mr. Lipwig. Not many people do, although they will, of course, protest otherwise. And no practical definition of freedom would be complete without the freedom to take the consequences. Indeed, it is the freedom upon which all the others are based.

The freedom to succeed goes hand in hand with the freedom to fail. - Going Postal, Terry Pratchett

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast