• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a new 1911 for EDC.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
stay traditional.

1. .45 ACP is expensive to shoot, you'll be less tempted to burn through 14 rounds every time you shoot a mag

2. magazines and parts for the traditional 1911 are EVERYWHERE and plentiful. you may find yourself paying WAY too much for a replacement part or magazine for this rare double stack 1911

3. the double stack feels like you're holding a 2 liter bottle, not a 1911. the classic feel of that slim 1911 in your hand cannot be replaced

4. 9 rounds of .45 ACP is plenty :)

j4l

stay traditional.

1. .45 ACP is expensive to shoot, you'll be less tempted to burn through 14 rounds every time you shoot a mag

2. magazines and parts for the traditional 1911 are EVERYWHERE and plentiful. you may find yourself paying WAY too much for a replacement part or magazine for this rare double stack 1911

3. the double stack feels like you're holding a 2 liter bottle, not a 1911. the classic feel of that slim 1911 in your hand cannot be replaced

4. 9 rounds of .45 ACP is plenty :)

On this one, I'll actually agree with Jr. He's paid close attention here, and to the movies, obviously. :banana:
In a 1911, ya traditional works. And, it's a .45. Unlike the girlie-gun users, you are less likely to find yourself needing to spray n pray and hope one of the 16 rounds at least penetrated to accomplish the task. 9mm/40 users.., well, those folks need all the ammo they can carry...

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
On this one, I'll actually agree with Jr. He's paid close attention here, and to the movies, obviously. :banana:
In a 1911, ya traditional works. And, it's a .45. Unlike the girlie-gun users, you are less likely to find yourself needing to spray n pray and hope one of the 16 rounds at least penetrated to accomplish the task. 9mm/40 users.., well, those folks need all the ammo they can carry...

you try too hard. 1/10 again. best I can do.

Levi

I have a Ruger SR1911 that is AMAZING.

I took it to the range the day I bought it put put 250 rounds through it. I couldn't miss. I am not the worlds best handgun marksman but this thing was making me look like it. At 25 yards I kept a 7 inch group with iron sights.

The trigger is light and crisp. All the moving parts fit and slide comfortably. A gunsmith could probably polish things up a bit but it's not needed.

All this and $699 for a price tag.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I have a Ruger SR1911 that is AMAZING.

I took it to the range the day I bought it put put 250 rounds through it. I couldn't miss. I am not the worlds best handgun marksman but this thing was making me look like it. At 25 yards I kept a 7 inch group with iron sights.

The trigger is light and crisp. All the moving parts fit and slide comfortably. A gunsmith could probably polish things up a bit but it's not needed.

All this and $699 for a price tag.

this is definitely more appealing than the kimbers and colts - in looks AND price. Glad to hear it performs well for you. I was kind of surprised to see a 1911 emerge from Ruger so late in the game and be a series 70, I just thought from a company who prints the entire owners manual on the outside of their guns that maybe they'd be extra super safe and make it a series 80.

Wolfstanus

Well caved and picked a Kimber custom 2. Now to save up for the AR then the ria 2011 to turn that into a 40k nerdish 1911 {•~•}

TrailRunner

I own a Remington R1 1911 and overall I'm pleased with it. My only complaint is that the blued finish makes it hard to carry without scuffing it up, and of course rust resistance is a bit of an issue. I wipe it down weekly with an oily rag to ameliorate the worst of it, but the high humidity in NC summers (generally above 70% during the heat of the day) makes very tiny surficial rust particularly hard to avoid. But handling and accuracy wise it is extremely good, making it a joy to carry and shoot!

If I had to do it again I think get a 1911 made with stainless steel in a matte finish, but that's why they call learning a process.

Deliveryboi

I just purchased the Metro Arms American Classic ii 45.Cal ACP and absolutely LOVE it. You get a $1000 sidearm for half the price.

moonie

I own a Remington R1 1911 and overall I'm pleased with it. My only complaint is that the blued finish makes it hard to carry without scuffing it up, and of course rust resistance is a bit of an issue. I wipe it down weekly with an oily rag to ameliorate the worst of it, but the high humidity in NC summers (generally above 70% during the heat of the day) makes very tiny surficial rust particularly hard to avoid. But handling and accuracy wise it is extremely good, making it a joy to carry and shoot!

If I had to do it again I think get a 1911 made with stainless steel in a matte finish, but that's why they call learning a process.

I've gone to froglube on my daily carry pistol, I do carry it concealed some and keeping sweat off of it is difficult in a IWB. I've found the froglube works great and keeps it from rusting.

Wolfstanus

Well was going to make a $500 down payment of the Kimber... But was told if I can't pay it off in 30 days they keep all the money and have to do it all over and don't get my money back or anything. Also the lady just looks at me like I'm an idiot. (Same lady that made threats to me while in line to sell a k98) So I just I tell her ill pay for it when I have all the money and as I turn "Yeah good luck with that" and throws her pen... So I responded "you mad bro?" As I walk out.

But I may be back there to pick up a stainless sw1911 with crimson trace grips. It's a really nice price. A little over $900

moonie

Well was going to make a $500 down payment of the Kimber... But was told if I can't pay it off in 30 days they keep all the money and have to do it all over and don't get my money back or anything. Also the lady just looks at me like I'm an idiot. (Same lady that made threats to me while in line to sell a k98) So I just I tell her ill pay for it when I have all the money and as I turn "Yeah good luck with that" and throws her pen... So I responded "you mad bro?" As I walk out.

But I may be back there to pick up a stainless sw1911 with crimson trace grips. It's a really nice price. A little over $900

Why on earth would you ever go back there? Personally I don't go back to places that treat me like that.

Wolfstanus

A heavy risk... But the prize....

Also they are the biggest store wich mrans lots of choices and they appear to be the cheapest in general. But that's why I say may. A full size e series with crimson grips forxa little over $900 is do tempting.

Also messing with her will give me joy.

Last edited:

moonie

A heavy risk... But the prize....

Also they are the biggest store wich mrans lots of choices and they appear to be the cheapest in general. But that's why I say may. A full size e series with crimson grips forxa little over $900 is do tempting.

Also messing with her will give me joy.

As twisted as I am, the last bit makes me smile :)

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I have the Rock Island Armory 1911-A1 Full size Tactical in matte nickel. The cost was under $500.00, and that was with all the usual bells and whistles. Ambidextrous, extended safety, Novak like sights (but without any dots or outline), and the one useless thing I replaced, a full length guide rod. Add to that, when I took it to the range, it shot everything I put through it, FMJ, JHP, it went bang every time I pulled the trigger.

Frankly, I couldn't ask for a better pistol.

ria45nickel.jpg

Last edited:

Wolfstanus

I just bought a sr1911 for 659.95
I will be picking it up tomorrow. Shame I'm about $30 short. Oh we'll I have some Xbox controllers and maybe a game or 2 I can sell. Also a 5+ year old surround sound system I can pawn. Since I replaced that with a $1700 one. And a 19inch monitor.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I just bought a sr1911 for 659.95
I will be picking it up tomorrow. Shame I'm about $30 short. Oh we'll I have some Xbox controllers and maybe a game or 2 I can sell. Also a 5+ year old surround sound system I can pawn. Since I replaced that with a $1700 one. And a 19inch monitor.
Nice choice. I own, or have owned several Ruger pistols. They all worked fantastically well. I'm thinking of getting one around tax season.

Wolfstanus

Just picked it up this day of posting this thread! about 30 minutes before. Its easy to take down the action is smooth its a little loose. (jingle jangle) Grips are rather thin for my taste. Its all metal no plastic mainspring Sights are really nice (will replace with night sights down the road) finish is really nice stainless steel.

Image shack hates me. It tells me that .jpeg is not a proper file.

A side note to my adventure. The pawn shop about a quarter mile away treated me as a criminal. Going to talk to their corporate office about it. Was going to sell a Surround sound system. But they said no about handed it back to me then walked 10 feet away set it down then told me to take it back. WTF?

Wallpaper size
https://d.facdn.net/art/hunterabrams/1348955929.hunterabrams_sam_0073.jpg