• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a new 1911 for EDC.

Wolfstanus

Yes stupid time for me. Im looking at getting a brand new replacment 1911... I can't get in contact with Auto Ord and when I do im on hold for an hour+ then get hung up on. No answers to my emails too. So I think im going to replace it as it only has a one year warranty and customer service needs ALOT work. Been trying to get in contact since Franktown Meet and greet. No luck, Not happy about it. I have had things like this happen before so Im going to cut my losses before I get to deep. Kinda wanting a rail gun. ill keep the auto ord as a practice thing and for my collection.

Im looking at these ones. any others would help.

Taurus PT1911
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...5/Handguns/1911s/Taurus 1911 45ACP 8RD Blued/

AMC Classic II Gov
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...I Government Model 45ACP 5/quot; Hard Chrome/

Taurus 1911-B1
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ns/1911s/Taurus 1911-B1 45ACP RAIL 8RD Blued/

Taurus M1911
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/.../Handguns/1911s/Taurus M1911 45 BULLSHEAD SS/

Para Ord
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+ 1 Round Stainless Single Action 45 ACP w/F/

Magnum Research DE1911G
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...1G 1911 Desert Eagle 45 ACP 5.05/quot; 8+1 W/

American Tactical ATIGFX45THUN FX 1911
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/... ATIGFX45THUN FX 1911 45 ACP 5/quot; 8+1 Woo/

Sig Sauer 1911R45TACPA 1911 TacPac 45 ACP 5" 8+1
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...911R45TACPA+1911+TacPac+45+ACP+5"+8+1+Ergo+Gr

45acpForMe

You also might consider the Colt 1911 Rail Gun. I had one and sold it to fund another purchase. It was my favorite 1911 and well built.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols/ColtRailGun.aspx

I am a Sig Sauer fan for their P220 and have shot a few Sig 1911's and liked them. I don't know that their brand reputation is built on the 1911 platform though.

ETA: Also the Marine Corp. just ordered the Colt Rail Gun as their new firearm. http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/07/19/m45-marsoc-pistol-contract-is-done-deal/

Last edited:

Raggs

Armscor/ RIA

I have a High Standard Crusader made by Armscor, I like it very much and it has a 3.5 in barrel. I have also had a RIA GI that I liked alot but traded to fund another gun. THe Armscor guns might even be a little less than you were looking to pay.

j4l

I have a High Standard Crusader made by Armscor, I like it very much and it has a 3.5 in barrel. I have also had a RIA GI that I liked alot but traded to fund another gun. THe Armscor guns might even be a little less than you were looking to pay.

^ This.
And by all accounts, most folks who have gotten one/used one/actually own them, seem to be most pleased with them.
Phillipine company, so not sure how spot-on customer support would be, if needed, but I havent heard any negatives, myself.
I certainly plan to grab one up, myself, IF any of my local shops get any back in.
Everything else-except the new Ruger 1911, seems to be in abundance- these? They fly out the door faster than I can get there to grab one.

Raggs

^ This.
And by all accounts, most folks who have gotten one/used one/actually own them, seem to be most pleased with them.
Phillipine company, so not sure how spot-on customer support would be, if needed, but I havent heard any negatives, myself.
I certainly plan to grab one up, myself, IF any of my local shops get any back in.
Everything else-except the new Ruger 1911, seems to be in abundance- these? They fly out the door faster than I can get there to grab one.

By all accounts the Customer Service by Armscor is awesome, gun carries a lifetime warranty. Warranty work is done in Nevada. No, I don't work for them :lol:

JohnMoses

Another recommendation for Armscor/Rock Island. Great company with a great reputation.
If I ever buy a 1911 again, it will be Armscor.

WalkingWolf

Another recommendation for Armscor/Rock Island. Great company with a great reputation.
If I ever buy a 1911 again, it will be Armscor.

I thought about a RIA about 10 years ago before they were outsourced. If I ever buy another it will probably be a Paraordinance, just because they are locally manufactured. They have a good rep also around here. I built mine with milsurp parts, unfortunately I need to replace the safety as it is not the button style, but the later style.

moonie

I have both a Taurus PT1911 and an RIA compact, I have a son with a full size RIA and his step father has one as well, they all function perfectly. I can recommend either of them. I've also owned a Kimber and a SA. Honestly they have all gone bang when I pulled the trigger as long as I did my part on QC of the ammo I make.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I also recommend RIA for a starter 1911. I have two of them and they have both functioned flawlessly. I also have a Taurus PT1911 which I am currently carrying, and no problems there either. The great thing about 1911s is that they are easily modified and most of the work can be done by the average man.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I used to have photos up of the internals of the PT 1911 - they look like they've been thrown through a pratt and whitney jett engine before being put into the gun. Not to mention the machine marks and ****** up inside of the frame.

Do yourself a favor - don't even consider the taurus. I have owned a few 1911s from taurus. 2 of the 3 functioned fine. One has a ****** up sear right out of the box (dangerous) and BRAND NEW had to go back for repairs. The other had internals (to include the inside of the frame) that looked like they were thrown through a jet engine, and the other I sold purely based of the fact that the rail was too big to find a holster I liked for it.

Now I own a RIA and kick myself for not just getting one of those in the first place. GREAT QUALITY for a GREAT PRICE. I carry mine often. GI model. I love it. I plan on buying another RIA in the near future.

^or you can spend $1100 on another 1911 with a few fancy looking features that performs the same as the RIA O_O

Last edited:

moonie

I'm sorry you had issues with your PT-1911, mine is flawless, close inspection of all parts reveals no issues what so ever. Some are good, others perhaps are made on monday or friday. In fact the sear looks better than the one in my RIA.

j4l

I used to have photos up of the internals of the PT 1911 - they look like they've been thrown through a pratt and whitney jett engine before being put into the gun. Not to mention the machine marks and ****** up inside of the frame.

Do yourself a favor - don't even consider the taurus. I have owned a few 1911s from taurus. 2 of the 3 functioned fine. One has a ****** up sear right out of the box (dangerous) and BRAND NEW had to go back for repairs. The other had internals (to include the inside of the frame) that looked like they were thrown through a jet engine, and the other I sold purely based of the fact that the rail was too big to find a holster I liked for it.

Now I own a RIA and kick myself for not just getting one of those in the first place. GREAT QUALITY for a GREAT PRICE. I carry mine often. GI model. I love it. I plan on buying another RIA in the near future.

^or you can spend $1100 on another 1911 with a few fancy looking features that performs the same as the RIA O_O

Ignore the kid, at least until he's old enough to legally purchase something other than airsoft guns, plz. :banghead:

Wolfstanus

I am leaning to the ria 2011. I might get the better one with the fiber sights and cz grips. I allready have a holster lined up that can take a railed 1911 with a light attached and hold a second mag. The ria will also leave me room for my first 10/22

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
Ignore the kid, at least until he's old enough to legally purchase something other than airsoft guns, plz. :banghead:

0/10

You need to practice your trolling over at Glock Talk before you try to start trolling here... 0/10 bro...0/10...

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
I am leaning to the ria 2011. I might get the better one with the fiber sights and cz grips. I allready have a holster lined up that can take a railed 1911 with a light attached and hold a second mag. The ria will also leave me room for my first 10/22

just so you know, that rail looks cool at first, but becomes a burden. You may have a holster lined up, but you will find that you are more limited to the variety of holsters out there. I'm somewhat of a 1911 purist, but not really, if that makes sense - what I'm saying is I despise 1911's with rails after owning that taurus PT1911 w/ rail.

Get the RIA GI or Tactical, but not the railed. This is my suggestion and in no way am I trying to cram my opinion down your throat - not that I can...this is the internet after all.

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
RIA...i'll just leave this here...

DSC09330_DLCsRIA1911TacticalwithHog.jpg

ria1911trijicons01fz0.jpg

Last edited: