• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School Shooting in Maryland

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Police say possible motive is bullying.

How do you get that out of this:
Investigators do not believe the victim, a 17-year-old male, was targeted by the shooter, a 15-year-old who is also a student at Perry Hall High School, Baltimore County Police Chief James Johnson said.

stay safe.

Michigander

Bullying, bad parenting, and exposure to violent TV and video games would be at the top of my list of possible concerns for why it happened.

Don't you just love those gun-free, target-rich zones?

I don't think that it's fair to make that argument here. The teachers who acted could have alternatively shot him if so able, but it's not likely he'd have been stopped any faster.

Tucker6900

Bullying, bad parenting, and exposure to violent TV and video games would be at the top of my list of possible concerns for why it happened.

I don't think that it's fair to make that argument here. The teachers who acted could have alternatively shot him if so able, but it's not likely he'd have been stopped any faster.

Agreed. But I have to change your list around a bit. Im going to put bad parenting on at the top, as the rest fall under that category. Now, even though bullying is out of the parents hands initially, a good parent can teach their child how to properly react to such things.

My son has been bullied. The first time he came home upset. After having a talk with him, the second time had a much greater outcome. I ended up getting called to the school because the bully said my son was bullying him. As it turns out, my son put the bully in his place and he didn't like it. So he told the teacher

KYGlockster

Activist Member

Exposure to violent TV and video games does not have anything to do with it. How a child is raised is how the child will act, and if he is raised by worthless parents then "more than likely" he will be worthless. I was raised by not being sheltered from violent movies and such, and I have never been in trouble a day in my life. I was raised by parents who new that raising me to be polite and care for others is what was important, and I turned out just fine. I am raising my children the exact same way. Yes, bullying could lead a child to act out, but again, if he was raised properly, and the parents were in his life as they should be, he would know how to de-escelate the situation without using a gun.

Society needs to stop blaming the TV and games on a child's bad behavior. Parents these days look for an out to blame their children's behavior on, but inside they know it is their awful parenting that leads their child to act in such violent ways. If they blame these things (TV and games), then you would think they would be smart enough to not allow them to watch them (if they really thought this was the problem), but that isn't the case. Parenting is what makes a person who they are, not a movie.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Yep, the issue may be the parenting but certainly not video games. I played Grand Theft Auto for hours at a time growing up. I've never killed anyone or stolen a car or hired a prostitute. Nope, not even once. People are responsible for their own actions.

Last edited: