Thread: Open Carry, not just a right but a responsibility

Open Carry, not just a right but a responsibility

I live in a small town in the Columbia River Gorge. I do not ever leave my house with out my .45 in an open carry condition. I go to the big cities (both Vancouver and Portland areas) once or perhaps twice a week. I ride my motorcycle sixteen thousand miles a year. Mostly in Oregon and Washington. I always open carry. I am the only one I see open carry anywhere. I come here to open carry dot org and read the posts. I feel that about one percent you out there may really open carry while the rest have a weak kneed NRA approach to the second amendment. I have broached this vain of dialog before with a little less avidity and have always gotten a plethora of excuses why those of you who can don’t open carry. Fact is ladies and gentlemen open carry is no longer just a right it is a responsibility. First responsibility, the bad guys and the demented need to see that there are those of us, who are ready and willing to shoot back, not just helpless victims. Second responsibility, we need to anesthetize the public so they don’t jerk when they see someone open carrying a handgun. We need responsible folk to be ambassadors of open carry, not the simple minded that wonder around loitering, swaggering there hip with camera ready hoping to be harassed. This helps no one and accomplishes nothing.
    If you don’t have the knarlies to open carry your weapon then why come here to this site? Stick with Vanity Fair.
    I’m sure this will p*** a few of you off. Quite frankly I don’t care. What I care about is turning this liberal wagon around and this is one of the things I do. What are you willing to do?

Guy
    Last edited by purlrider; 08-28-2012 at 01:15 AM.
    Don't be angered by their ignorance. Be polite, your carrying a gun.

PR

The only oc in your area

Don't get mad at me but if your the only one that ever oc's in your area aparently someone isn't getting the word out. There are several people here in the Puget Sound area that wear a firearm just like A wristwatch it gets put on every day. So keep spreading the word brother.
    I truly Love my Country, But the government scares the he!! out of me.

DEMAND IT
    Congress SHALL NOT receive A salary greater than any service member and will be given EQUIVELANT insurance as any service member

I came into this world kicking and screaming covered in someone else's blood. And if necessary to protect the Constitution of The United States of AMERICA. I will go out the same way

All hail the Domain of Neptunus Rex

The only reason I don't routinely OC is because as a 20 year old I can't under Washington law unless an .060 exception applies (which is rarely)

otherwise I'd probably OC out in the county and in rural areas, areas like seattle Is what I'd have a CPL for.....

When I'm out of state in Idaho and in Montana I can and do open carry all the time
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    I feel for you brother. I am trying desperately to get more OCers to post there experiences over on the WV forums but besides myself, (I open carry everyday!) I have yet to see many people OC around my part of town. Don't get discouraged. We are pioneers (I tell myself) who have to keep the faith for more people to join!
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

I agree for the most part. The main reason I choose to open carry is because it starts conversations and helps inform people about rights. Not a week goes by that I do not inform atleast one person that it is legal to open carry in washignton. I think the vast majority of people on here do open carry. I am sure there are lurkers that CC everywhere, but are on here and are working up the nerve to start OCing. Alot of people are not familiar with the laws enough to be comfortable if encountered with a situation. Or can't afford a lawyer if they say or do something wrong, or say or do something that a misinformed LEO says is wrong.

Some people just don't like attention, and lets face it if your going to open carry your going to get it. In a perfect world it wouldn't be an issue.

I see very few people in Lakewood OCing. I wish I saw more. I wouldn't mind having another Lakewood/Tacoma meet of some kind.

Hey, I just saw an empty-shell unicorn yesterday at Breakwater Marina in Tacoma. ("Empty-shell" meaning he was wearing an obviously-OC holster but it was empty; presumably taken out and left in his vehicle or on the boat while he was wandering back and forth on the dock.)

Any of you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by kparker View Post
    Hey, I just saw an empty-shell unicorn yesterday at Breakwater Marina in Tacoma. ("Empty-shell" meaning he was wearing an obviously-OC holster but it was empty; presumably taken out and left in his vehicle or on the boat while he was wandering back and forth on the dock.)

Any of you guys?
    I sometimes carry "empty shell" as a personal protest to the fact that 20 year olds in Idaho and Oregon can lawfully OC and I can't.
    but i wasn't on the marina so it wasn't me.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

I saw a guy at work yesterday with an uncle mikes belt slide. It was empty. I was about to tell him he was more than welcome to carry in the store when I realized he was using it to oc his phone. So I just kept my mouth shut. I was very disappointed.
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Quote Originally Posted by purlrider View Post
    I live in a small town in the Columbia River Gorge. I do not ever leave my house with out my .45 in an open carry condition. I go to the big cities (both Vancouver and Portland areas) once or perhaps twice a week. I ride my motorcycle sixteen thousand miles a year. Mostly in Oregon and Washington. I always open carry. I am the only one I see open carry anywhere. I come here to open carry dot org and read the posts. I feel that about one percent you out there may really open carry while the rest have a weak kneed NRA approach to the second amendment. I have broached this vain of dialog before with a little less avidity and have always gotten a plethora of excuses why those of you who can donít open carry. Fact is ladies and gentlemen open carry is no longer just a right it is a responsibility. First responsibility, the bad guys and the demented need to see that there are those of us, who are ready and willing to shoot back, not just helpless victims. Second responsibility, we need to anesthetize the public so they donít jerk when they see someone open carrying a handgun. We need responsible folk to be ambassadors of open carry, not the simple minded that wonder around loitering, swaggering there hip with camera ready hoping to be harassed. This helps no one and accomplishes nothing.
    If you donít have the knarlies to open carry your weapon then why come here to this site? Stick with Vanity Fair.
    Iím sure this will p*** a few of you off. Quite frankly I donít care. What I care about is turning this liberal wagon around and this is one of the things I do. What are you willing to do?

Guy
    Amen

I do not carry a audio or video recorder. Some may think that I am stupid or what ever, but I do not care what others think. I open carry because I can. Besides, it's hard to conceal a Glock 21 on a somewhat skinny guy. I am not out looking for touble. I am out and about because I have stuff to do and I am carrying for my defense and or my families. I am from Bonney Lake and I know where one OCer works. I have met him once while he was working. I have only seen two people in a 6 month span OC around Bonney Lake and the Tacoma area. I know they ae out and about, cause I read the posts. I just don't really see many at all. I think more people should OC, get out and exercise the right. Let the criminals we are not messing around. I OC around my house every day. I have not once had any issues with anyone in our area. I wish more people OCed and I am doing what I can to spread the word. Some people just don't like too or they just do not feel comfortable.
    Clerk: Is that a weapon?
    Me: No, it is my tool.
    Clerk:
    Me: A tool that takes some time to master!
    Clerk:
    Me: Have a nice day!

Thumbs up

I come here to open carry dot org and read the posts. I feel that about one percent you out there may really open carry while the rest have a weak kneed NRA approach to the second amendment.
    Well it is so nice of you to show up hear and start out trying to insult every member here, or 99% of them.....

Perhaps you should start coming to our open carry meetups and picknicks if people in your area are adverse or misinformed about OC. as the facts are i carry every time i go anywhere outside my house except work, where i am prohibited from having my firearm even in my personal vehicle, My taurus .45 is just as much part of my attire as my shoes and my phone.
    +thought for the day+
    ++victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none++

I OC at every available opportunity with a few exceptions. Fact is, I work at a place that won't let me keep a firearm in my vehicle (and I have to go inside a security gate) so I don't carry as often as I would like. But when I run errands, go hiking, travel, go to a restaurant, or otherwise not at work I usually OC. And if I am not OCing, I am always CCing with only two exceptions (drinking and church - my choice).

You are right, we are the public face of the 2A and it is an important responsibility to carry as such. There are times I prefer to conceal because sometimes I am not feeling particularly social or are otherwise cranky and don't want to engage people with questions or deal with a possible LE encounter - though Renton seems well versed in respecting LAC's. I'd say when I have the chance to carry, I am OC 70% of the time.

Double tap -- sorry!
    Last edited by acmariner99; 08-28-2012 at 06:40 PM.