• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Movie theater carry

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
There's a lot of people on this forum who seem to be very much against concealed carry.
I am not against CC either.. I do it every day. Most days I OC and CC at the same time. What I don't like is the CC'ers of the world.. that know CC is the way we ALL should carry because their CC instructor told them so.. and they come here asking all types of CC questions CC issues and CC laws and CC holsters, etc..

Numenor

Oh... it's a GIVEN that you carry concealed? and you post this on an OPEN CARRY board because why?

I OPEN CARRY at the Cobb theater in Leesburg with no issues.

"And given that it's concealed..." ie: AT THE THEATER WITH THE GUNBUSTER SIGN. Yeah, I'd really like to see you walk in there OCing with cops in the lobby and see how that works out. All the theaters in my area have those stupid signs up so no matter what I wish, if I want to see a new movie that's how it is.

Marco

I am not against CC either.. What I don't like is the anti OC'ers of the world.. that tell us CC is the way we ALL should carry because they CC, their CHP instructor told them so, or their a CHP instructor (crappy one) hocking their wears.. and/or they come here telling us how they CC'd without issue, asking all types of stupid CC questions, CC issues and CC laws and CC holsters and proceed to tell us we should all bend to the rights violators.

Case in point the post above this one...

Last edited:

Numenor

I am not against CC either.. What I don't like is the anti OC'ers of the world.. that tell us CC is the way we ALL should carry because they CC, their CHP instructor told them so, or their a CHP instructor (crappy one) hocking their wears.. and/or they come here telling us how they CC'd without issue, asking all types of stupid CC questions, CC issues and CC laws and CC holsters and proceed to tell us we should all bend to the rights violators.

Case in point the post above this one...

Uh huh... and you're not paying attention to what I said either. Let me try to put this as simply as I can in hopes to remedy the confusion...

I OC and CC, either is fine and really depends on how I feel that day or where I'm going. In THIS case, I HAVE to CC. I want to see the movie but refuse to be unarmed, all the theaters in my area have the stupid "no gun" signs. Therefore I CC into the theater and no one is the wiser, including the cops in the lobby.

Now... where did I say CC was the ONLY way to go? Where did I say I don't OC? Try reading and comprehending next time before judging.

Marco

Marco said:
or they come here telling us how they CC'd without issue

Maybe you should take your own advise...
Have principles.. for go the movie and wait until it comes out on Redbox/Netflix/cable... rather than reward someone for their stupidity....
How can you expect someone to respect your rights when you don't respect theirs?

Uh huh... and you're not paying attention to what I said either. Let me try to put this as simply as I can in hopes to remedy the confusion...

I OC and CC, either is fine and really depends on how I feel that day or where I'm going. In THIS case, I HAVE to CC. I want to see the movie but refuse to be unarmed, all the theaters in my area have the stupid "no gun" signs. Therefore I CC into the theater and no one is the wiser, including the cops in the lobby.

Now... where did I say CC was the ONLY way to go? Where did I say I don't OC? Try reading and comprehending next time before judging.

Here's a novel idea.
How about being willing to protect your family by staying out of places that ask you to leave your firearm behind. In this situation you retain the ability to lawfully defend your family and honor the rights of the property owner. Sounds like a win-win.

Last edited:

Numenor

Maybe you should take your own advise...
Have principles.. for go the movie and wait until it comes out on Redbox/Netflix/cable... rather than reward someone for their stupidity....
How can you expect someone to respect your rights when you don't respect theirs?

I already do make a lot of compromises given this. I don't go to BWs any longer, pretty much I'm hopping online before heading into any new store checking their firearms policy (most of the time I end up on a thread here or the VA Gun Owners forum). However, I'm not as universal in this as some of you all (sorry, but some of what's posted I think is a bit extreme for myself). I protest the policy at the theater by ignoring it, if I am asked to leave I will.

I'm done with this argument, I'm not going to tell anyone how they should go about their lives and hope others don't try the same with me. Do or don't do what you wish in this issue.

Last edited:

paramedic

:eek: I tried to take a nap after reading this entire post, I dreamed I was getting attacked by the letter O and C :shocker:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well Numenor....

+1 for Ed

+1 for Marco

Plus....not all of them are posted. Bow Tie isn't posted but the unofficial policy is CC is OK. I OC'ed at the Dark Knight mostly to see what happened and nothing was said.

One or two others are OC friendly.

I usually say more but why bother!

Last edited:

wylde007

What if Aurora, CO allowed OC (I don't think they do), and Cinemark Theaters allowed weapons (which they don't), and the Holmes guy walked into the theater and saw all of the LACs OC'ing? He probably wouldn't have gone out to his car and returned to kill.
Please explain how he would have seen all of those weapons on patrons SEATED in a DARK theater.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Please explain how he would have seen all of those weapons on patrons SEATED in a DARK theater.

pink-gun.jpg

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snip--
Another theater, I was getting refreshments with my family and a manager approached and asked if I was an officer. I said, "I am a Navy Officer." He asked if I had proof I was an officer, so I showed him my military ID card. He said, "OK, only officers are allowed to carry guns here." Weird. I guess enlisted couldn't carry in that theater.... :question: and this was in a standard civilian theater out in town, probably 1 hr away from the Navy base.

That is seriously funny as in strange, but I wouldn't be complaining too much. Just enjoy being "more special" :p

MainelyGlock

My local theater is OC friendly. I went to one movie and behind me I heard a woman tell the ticket taker, "That man had a gun!" He said, "Who?" She said, "That one that just walked by you!" I entered the theater not hearing the rest of the conversation, but nobody came in after me.

Another theater, I was getting refreshments with my family and a manager approached and asked if I was an officer. I said, "I am a Navy Officer." He asked if I had proof I was an officer, so I showed him my military ID card. He said, "OK, only officers are allowed to carry guns here." Weird. I guess enlisted couldn't carry in that theater.... :question: and this was in a standard civilian theater out in town, probably 1 hr away from the Navy base.

Hey, you're the same rank as my father! He wants to buy a handgun and OC as much as possible in the very near future, so I think I will direct him towards the VA OC site. Unfortunately, he's stationed in Norfolk and I don't think you're allowed to OC there.

MamabearCali

My local theater does not have gun buster signs that I have seen. However, as discretion is sometimes the better part of valor, when I go to the theater I CC. No need to poke a sleeping lion.

MagiK_SacK

I already do make a lot of compromises given this. I don't go to BWs any longer, pretty much I'm hopping online before heading into any new store checking their firearms policy (most of the time I end up on a thread here or the VA Gun Owners forum). However, I'm not as universal in this as some of you all (sorry, but some of what's posted I think is a bit extreme for myself). I protest the policy at the theater by ignoring it, if I am asked to leave I will.

I'm done with this argument, I'm not going to tell anyone how they should go about their lives and hope others don't try the same with me. Do or don't do what you wish in this issue.

I wouldn't really call it an argument..... I do want to point out one thing though. You do realize that giving your money to the theater isn't really much of a protest. For one, they don't know you are carrying so for all they know you are just conforming to their request. Two they aren't losing any money so that doesn't help the protest. Why not raise awareness with your fellow gun owners about the location and give your money to somebody else who doesn't chose to create crime enrichment zone. You may not put the chain out of business but at least you won't be contributing to their success.

Secondly you do have another choice if you really want to see the movie. Why not wait the movie will be out on DVD soon enough. I am willing to bet your living room isn't a GFZ, and would be much more comfortable than a movie theater filled full of people with no manners.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

Be glad you're in VA then. All they can do is ask you to leave the property as those signs don't have the force of law. I personally won't go to a theatre UNLESS I am carrying. And given that it's concealed, they won't know I have it unless there is a need for it.

That is pretty much true in every state, except if in VA you get caught it is not as bad as other states. It is only a misdemeanor here if caught as long as the CCer has a permit. I started my career in IL while going to college. CC is a felony, yet we never bothered decent people who carried, things have changed a lot though since then.

Marco

The nite sites. :)
Or
Maybe the lasers?

I wouldn't really call it an argument..... I do want to point out one thing though. You do realize that giving your money to the theater isn't really much of a protest. For one, they don't know you are carrying so for all they know you are just conforming to their request. Two they aren't losing any money so that doesn't help the protest. Why not raise awareness with your fellow gun owners about the location and give your money to somebody else who doesn't chose to create crime enrichment zone. You may not put the chain out of business but at least you won't be contributing to their success.

Secondly you do have another choice if you really want to see the movie. Why not wait the movie will be out on DVD soon enough. I am willing to bet your living room isn't a GFZ, and would be much more comfortable than a movie theater filled full of people with no manners.

1+
I also like to add.. why come on a OC forum to tell us how you CC'd somewhere?

Last edited: