• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

do you open carry?

how often do you open carry when you leave your property?

• 100% of the time

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • 75% of the time (about 4 times a week)

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • 50% of the time (about 3 times a week)

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • 25% or less (about 1 day a week or every other week)

Votes: 10 18.9%
  • i don't live in an open carry state.

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

hammer6

just piggy-backing off the thread about people on here probably not open carrying...just trying to figure out a true percentage of those on this site...

Jack House

I don't live in an OC state, but if I did, I'd OC all the time. Not every time I left the house as there are places and times when it is not legal/possible or unwise, but as often as possible.

09jisaac

I don't think your poll has an adequate choice. I am an OC > CC guy. I OC every day but I CC some of those days.

An example would be that I OC when I am out about doing normal daily stuff. I CC when I am having a family gathering.

sjcea

PA is an open carry state with no carry permit required to do so but I do not open carry. I do not want the attention nor am I trying to show it off. It's there strictly for protection of myself and my family. You do need a license to CC in PA and its very very easy to get if you are not a convicted felon. I have had my CC permit for over 20 years

Sent from my Galaxy S///

Jack House

PA is an open carry state with no carry permit required to do so but I do not open carry. I do not want the attention nor am I trying to show it off. It's there strictly for protection of myself and my family. You do need a license to CC in PA and its very very easy to get if you are not a convicted felon. I have had my CC permit for over 20 years

Sent from my Galaxy S///
Why sign up for an OC forum if you hold such views? You will not be popular here. I am not trying to be mean, or tell you that you shouldn't post here or anything like that. As far as I know(and am concerned), all are welcome. I'm just curious as to what you hope to gain out of membership here.

twoskinsonemanns

I voted 100% of the time, the caveat being when it's legal. Sometimes I have to go to the communist country of Maryland, where I can't.

Novalis

I do both, but I CC more than I OC. I would say 65% / 35%. I just recently started OC-ing and getting comfortable with it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
75%, but it's more like 80%. The rest of the time I'm CCing. Very rarely do I leave without carrying anything, and almost always it's because I'm headed to either the Chicago-owned and run mall which bans firearms 100% of the time, or because I'm headed to one of the Chicago-owned and run military bases which does much the same thing.

SPOProds

100% of the time I OC. Love in Maine and don't have a CC Permit, do I have to OC. Even when I get my CC permit I will stillOC all the time, I just won't have to unload in the car. In CT I OCed about 90% if the time. The concealed times being dinner with the wife, don't want a LEO encounter messing up date night.

pfries

I OC whenever possible, at work I cover per the owners request. This is better than being unarmed and in TN you need a permit to carry period.

Every day on my way to work with stops, out to lunch, heading home with stops, Wally world, Lowes, to the corner store, at home, wherever I can I OC.

A few exceptions I impose on myself (my FIL's funeral etc.)

So is this 100%, 75%?

dmatting

I carry 100% of the time OC - unless it is illegal to do so. There are some places in NC where you can't carry at all. I am also completely disarmed at work because I work under their rules. I have a CHP, though I only use it to buy pistols and for colder weather carry - if a coat happens to cover the pistol on my hip, I'm all legal.

sjcea

Why sign up for an OC forum if you hold such views? You will not be popular here. I am not trying to be mean, or tell you that you shouldn't post here or anything like that. As far as I know(and am concerned), all are welcome. I'm just curious as to what you hope to gain out of membership here.

I am a fan of guns and all open platforms about them. I do not choose to open carry but I have done it especially going to and from the range and such. I don't begrudge anyone from open carrying at all just the fact that I have carried concealed for so long its my preference to do so. I also do not want my kids getting the worng impression seeing me with a gun 24/7 . Just my opinion but if you have a CC permit? Why would you need to open carry? Again I hold nothing against the practice at all but I guess in some states its look at differently than others. Even though PA is an open carry state with no permit required. You hardly ever see anyone doing so i mean its a rare sight. But to each his own!! Enjoy your 2nd amendment rights!! I know I do!!!

Sent from my Galaxy S///

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
100% of the time where legal. Every once in awhile I'll also conceal a second gun depending on the situation.

aa1911

100% of the time where legal. Open carry legal with or without a CC here in WA state.

Biggest argument I get is if someone comes in to shoot a place up and sees an OCer, he will shoot him first. maybe but he might also just leave and shoot some other place up or just go home.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
........ I also do not want my kids getting the worng impression seeing me with a gun 24/7 . Just my opinion but if you have a CC permit? Why would you need to open carry? ..................Sent from my Galaxy S///

I take offense to this. I OC at the 100% level. I live in the wonderful State of Washington where the Second Amendment lives. My children see me everyday wearing a weapon, well holstered, on my hip. I see this as being a role model to my children. I took each of them to the range to learn how to safely deploy and employ a weapon. What "wrong impression" am I giving my children. You sound like you are embarrassed , or guilty for carrying and choose to hide it from your children.

On the second part...... In Washington you cannot (by law) carry loaded in a vehicle without a CPL (con pist lic) and to lessen the chance of unnecessary handling, I applied for and was approved for a CPL. I do not "need" to open carry, I want to.

hammer6

I am a fan of guns and all open platforms about them. I do not choose to open carry but I have done it especially going to and from the range and such. I don't begrudge anyone from open carrying at all just the fact that I have carried concealed for so long its my preference to do so. I also do not want my kids getting the worng impression seeing me with a gun 24/7 . Just my opinion but if you have a CC permit? Why would you need to open carry? Again I hold nothing against the practice at all but I guess in some states its look at differently than others. Even though PA is an open carry state with no permit required. You hardly ever see anyone doing so i mean its a rare sight. But to each his own!! Enjoy your 2nd amendment rights!! I know I do!!!

Sent from my Galaxy S///

with all due respect- i'd rather have my children see me with a gun 24/7, so they can ask questions and get educated properly so that if they ever come across a gun, they don't mess up and shoot their friend in the head. my son always knows where my gun is when i carry it. why? he knows that when he hugs me he has to be careful of that part of my body. it also means he won't get a bad impression or become a sheep when he gets older.

just my $.01 though. (adjusted for inflation)

nobama

I take offense to this. I OC at the 100% level. I live in the wonderful State of Washington where the Second Amendment lives. My children see me everyday wearing a weapon, well holstered, on my hip. I see this as being a role model to my children. I took each of them to the range to learn how to safely deploy and employ a weapon. What "wrong impression" am I giving my children. You sound like you are embarrassed , or guilty for carrying and choose to hide it from your children.

On the second part...... In Washington you cannot (by law) carry loaded in a vehicle without a CPL (con pist lic) and to lessen the chance of unnecessary handling, I applied for and was approved for a CPL. I do not "need" to open carry, I want to.

Plus 1. I dont want my kids to think carrying a gun is bad,when all they hear from tv,schools,and the left wing gov.is its a BAD thing. Kinda like not wanting your kids to see you drink a beer. BTW, cc with a permit is not a right but rather a privelage. I like to educate the sheep.Yea,I gotta gun, so what.

twoskinsonemanns

I also do not want my kids getting the worng impression seeing me with a gun 24/7 .

I also am curious what wrong impression you don't want them to have....
Guns are necessary?
Daddy wants to make sure he can protect you if need be?
The world is not always rainbows and sweetish fish?