• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Daniel Boone National Forest, carrying and shooting

ZXguy

So let me get this straight, in DBNF you're allowed to go out into the woods, put up a target and shoot as long as you're doing in away from trails and in a safe direction? Awesome. Good to know since I rock climb down there all the time and have time to kill (pun not intended) on down days.

This is also my understanding. I feel very legal doing what you're suggesting. I went once without issue (of course there was no one around to cause issue). On the other hand, I don't have total faith that a ranger or LEO would comprehend the law on this and I wouldn't not be surprised by an encounter.

Joejoe111

Ok.

My opinion is to never ask a ranger or leo about the law and/or the legality of an activity. In my experience I have realized most leo's or anyone of the sort is ignorant of the law. If you look at the training requirements to become an leo in the state of KY, then you will realize they do not spend much time at all on weapons. The majority of their training is in DV, elderly issues and such. Read the law for yourself or ask around here and always ask for a cite before you do what someone says. It seems to me you have researched it enough to know what the law says, so you are good to go.

Because your 2 hours weapons Class gave you so much more training than theme in firearms , and criminal justice lol. 2-4 years CJ plus 7 month living at the Academy in training. So on average 3 to 5 years in ky in most cases.
Most of these officers have college degrees in CJ. Testify in court on a regular basis and handle criminal investigations. Where is your education in law coming from ? Let me guess, YouTube ? The Internet ? This is the prime example of someone who shouldn't have a gun.
There is also no "elderly " training at the Academy lol . And there is a Tom of fire arms training and qualifying.

Last edited:

tcbrad98

Because your 2 hours weapons Class gave you so much more training than theme in firearms , and criminal justice lol. 2-4 years CJ plus 7 month living at the Academy in training. So on average 3 to 5 years in ky in most cases.
Most of these officers have college degrees in CJ. Testify in court on a regular basis and handle criminal investigations. Where is your education in law coming from ? Let me guess, YouTube ? The Internet ? This is the prime example of someone who shouldn't have a gun.

First post and you're insulting a member that has been here for years? One that states he's a peace officer? Not a great start.

solus

First post and you're insulting a member that has been here for years? One that states he's a peace officer? Not a great start.

not a first to raise a dead 2yo thread nor a first to start off insulting folk...but i do believe it is a record to do both on the same post...

ipse

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There is also no "elderly " training at the Academy lol . And there is a Tom of fire arms training and qualifying.

Welcome to the forum, Joejoe.

Now if I may be so bold, OCDO is an excellent source for referenced/cited information as much has been vented by experts, including attorneys, in various fields. Opinions are just that....opinions and we don't put much stock in them in and of themselves.

To make something clear - I am not anti LEO. I give and ask for equal respect. I am not one to prevaricate/lie and I do not like that an officer can lie in the course of consensual/investigative stop - that bothers me greatly.

More to the point - the average citizen is every bit as good as the trained officer and in some instances considerably better. Many police officers do not go to the range or train regularly and only fire again when time to requalify.

Having a college degree (even in law), testifying in court, or driving a neat car w/flashing lights does not make you a better shot. Seems you would deprive a young mother of defending her brood if she didn't qualify expert. The right to defend one self and loved ones is considered a natural right - not to be trivialized.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/04/robert-farago/study-why-police-firearms-training-sucks/

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/06/data-police-shootings-washington-post-guardian

As a newbie you need, you need to be aware of our Forum Rules on insulting people/members here - that too is something we take very seriously. We speak to facts, not personality issues. Please take this admonition in the spirit intended and you then will not need to see it addressed further.

JohnKelly

I'm a little late to this thread, but my understanding is that OC and CC (with CCW permit) is legal in both National Parks and National Forests, with the exception of buildings. For example, weapons are not permitted in the Gladie Welcome Center in the Gorge area.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'm a little late to this thread, but my understanding is that OC and CC (with CCW permit) is legal in both National Parks and National Forests, with the exception of buildings. For example, weapons are not permitted in the Gladie Welcome Center in the Gorge area.
The Fair Credit Reporting Act had an amendment added to it that basically said all NPS land would follow the state law in which the land was located with the restriction of except structures where federal employees normally worked - signage is required for these buildings.
http://Section 512 carried the titl...s to the national park system outside Alaska.

National Forests not included in that law and are other restrictive details.

Laws Regarding Firearms on National Forest Lands

First, the primary laws governing possession of firearms and other weapons on National Forest are State Laws. These laws were developed by the states following establishment of our Cooperative Wildlife Management Agreements. Most notable of the state laws concerns controlling firearms on the National Forest are “cased gun laws”.

Cased Gun Laws: As the name implies, this law requires that all firearms on National Forest be unloaded and kept in a case. Virginia and West Virginia have similar “cased gun laws”. In order to allow hunting, these laws make an exception.

• It is legal to have loaded firearms on National Forest during the authorized general firearms and muzzle loading gun seasons for bear, deer, grouse, pheasant, quail, rabbit, raccoon, squirrel, turkey, or waterfowl. This exception is very specific and applies only during the period when it is legal to take these listed species and doesn’t include carrying the loaded weapons in a vehicle.

• Because hunting on Sunday is prohibited, carrying a loaded gun on National Forest is not legal on Sunday even if it is the Sunday in the middle of the general firearms deer season.

• The second exception to this law allows people with a concealed weapon permit to carry a loaded, concealed, handgun either on their person or in their vehicle while on National Forest. This does not apply if the person is engaged in a primitive weapons season or chase only season.

• People muzzle loading or bow hunting may carry a concealed weapon as long as they possess a concealed weapon permit.

Discharging a firearm, crossbow, or bow and arrow in or across a road or within the right-of-way of any road is prohibited by both State and Federal Law.

Any person convicted of a felony may not legally possess firearms on National Forest.
Reckless use or handling firearms: It is a violation of both Federal and State law to handle any firearm in a careless and reckless manner or hunt while under the influence of intoxicants or narcotic drugs.

Last edited:

CharleyCherokee

Kyglockster is a trooper with the Kentucky state police. However, like the typical state apologist you so obviously are, you blindly accept what the state has indoctrinated you to believe. Most Leo I know don't have all the laws and case law put to memory. They memorize generally then look up the info they need during an arrest. The people here, however, spend considerable time into studying the intricacies of the law for carry in their state. We discuss and pontificate the meanings and merits of the case law and the wordings of the law and back up our reasoning with cites to sources. It doesn't get much more university than that, partner. So to sum it up. Pipe down, kid, grown ups are talking.