• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Obtaining Fla Non-Resident CCW Permit

Skip D

Hey to All,
I am a Georgia resident and a GWL holder. Due to the fact that there are more reciprical agreement states with Fla than Ga, I was thinking of getting a Fla permit. Does anyone know how I go about this? How much can I expect to pay? Don't know if it matters but I am a current GWL holder which I will continue to maintain and I am retired military. Also I live in Southeast Ga, so I would probably be applying in the Jacksonville area..
Thanks in advance,

Last edited:

rvrctyrngr

Hey to All,
I am a Georgia resident and a GWL holder. Due to the fact that there are more reciprical agreement states with Fla than Ga, I was thinking of getting a Fla permit. Does anyone know how I go about this? How much can I expect to pay? Don't know if it matters but I am a current GWL holder which I will continue to maintain and I am retired military. Also I live in Southeast Ga, so I would probably be applying in the Jacksonville area..
Thanks in advance,

Skip, the easiest thing for you to do is to call the Jax office and make your appointment. Show up at your appointment with a copy of your DD214 and a check/MO for $112 (price went down $5 recently). They'll do the rest for you right there. Will have your FL CWFL in a week or so.

Jacksonville Regional Office
8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (EST)*
7825 Baymeadows Way
Suite 106A, Center Building
Jacksonville, Florida 32256
Phone: (904) 448-4341
Fax: (904) 448-4345

Rich7553

In addition to what Rvrctyrngr said, also bring proof of firearms safety training. It can be any one of the following:

1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or
7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm.

rvrctyrngr

In addition to what Rvrctyrngr said, also bring proof of firearms safety training. It can be any one of the following:

1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;
5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or
7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any of the courses or classes; or an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught said course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document which shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall constitute evidence of qualification under this paragraph; any person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm.

Rich, he does not need proof of taking a firearms safety class. His DD214 suffices for that.

Skip D

Well, I made the call. My appt is 13 Sept @ 2pm at: 7825 Baymeadows WaySuite 123a, Center BuildingJacksonville, Florida 32256.

Rvrctyrngr, How confident are you in the suite 106a? or is it 123a?????? Same bldg I assume?

thanks, Skip D

rvrctyrngr

Well, I made the call. My appt is 13 Sept @ 2pm at: 7825 Baymeadows WaySuite 123a, Center BuildingJacksonville, Florida 32256.

Rvrctyrngr, How confident are you in the suite 106a? or is it 123a?????? Same bldg I assume?

thanks, Skip D

Same building, same floor. One room is for Newb appointments, the other for walk-in renewals. Signs on the floor will direct you. What I posted is off the DOACS website. You'll be there about 20mins tops.

Skip D

Same building, same floor. One room is for Newb appointments, the other for walk-in renewals. Signs on the floor will direct you. What I posted is off the DOACS website. You'll be there about 20mins tops.

THANKS for all your help..........

Rich7553

Rich, he does not need proof of taking a firearms safety class. His DD214 suffices for that.

Yep. That's what I get for skimming your post instead of reading it. Missed the DD214 reference entirely. Of course, you are correct. Damn these senior moments!

Skip D

Well,,,,,, I was looking at a Fla non-res Weapons Permit to open up South Carolina to me. I discovered yesterday that SC does not honor Fla either. Having a non-res Fla permit does open up about 7 other states to me however none of them are neighboring states. Is there any other advantage to having a Fla permit for a Ga resident?

rvrctyrngr

Well,,,,,, I was looking at a Fla non-res Weapons Permit to open up South Carolina to me. I discovered yesterday that SC does not honor Fla either. Having a non-res Fla permit does open up about 7 other states to me however none of them are neighboring states. Is there any other advantage to having a Fla permit for a Ga resident?

Yes. We get 112 of your hard-earned dollars!

Seriously...don't see much of an upside if what you need is local/neighboring reciprocity. As noted, SC won't honor a non-res license.