Thread: Letter to LEO's

Letter to LEO's

Here's the text of the letter I wrote, referenced in a recent thread. Feel free to copy & paste into your word processor, reformat, and print. Just a suggestion, keep a copy in the car with your registration certificate. Make sure you've got the name and phone number of an attorney whom you trust. Also make sure you read, understand, and agree with what it says before you start handing it out to cops, willy-nilly. That's especially true of the part that says, "I know you may arrest me" - my view is that you're better off spending one or two nights in jail than twenty years in the penitentiary, but that's just my opinion.

To Law Enforcement Officers:

I have been instructed by my attorney not to discuss the facts of any case with anyone other than my attorney unless and until I am given the opportunity to consult with and be advised by my attorney, and to have my attorney present for any statement to be given or interrogation to be conducted: I shall not answer any questions other than for identification. This applies regardless of the nature or duration of the detention or arrest. I do not wish to evade or interfere with any legitimate investigation, nor does my refusal to answer represent any disrespect for you or your office.

My attorney has also instructed me never to consent to a warrantless search of my person or property, and has instructed me to tell you that there will be absolutely no waiver of the right to see and be served with a warrant in proper form prior to any such search.

My attorney has warned me, and I understand that, you may determine that this is a situation in which you feel you need to make an arrest; I understand that you may make such an arrest regardless of anything I may tell you. I have further been instructed to submit to your authority fully in the event you do elect to make an arrest. My submission, however, is for the purpose of avoiding unnecessary confrontation, and is neither a waiver of, or done with prejudice to, my rights under applicable civil and criminal laws.

I am represented by the attorney named below, and that am the client of this attorney for all issues related to the detention, search and seizure of me and my property. I ask that you contact my attorney promptly upon taking me into custody, before any search of my property, and before making any attempt to question me about the facts of any case. Unless you feel you have probable cause to place me into custody at this time, I respectfully request that you advise me that I am free to leave right now.

My name is: __________________________________________________ ____

I reside at: __________________________________________________ ______

My attorney’s name is: ______________________________________________

My Attorney’s telephone number is: ___________________________________
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    That is great Dan, thanks!

If anyone needs the contact information of a good attorney, PM me.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by user View Post
    By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.
    Wait!!?? You're an attorney??
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

Letter to LEO's

Thanks User!!! Always appreciate the free goodies you give us!
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Thanks for another great resourse. Just a small editing note: you left off the word "I" in the first sentence of the last paragraph- ""that -I- am the client" ....
    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    Sigh...Ed, Ed, Ed.

Thanks Dan, this is excellent!

The letter is great. A way to make it greater is if User would allow us to send a self addressed stamped envelope and he would print one, fill out his information, and sign it.

That way when a LEO see's the letter it has signatures from the attorney and the client already.

I am tempted to print it out and put User's info on it but want to see if he would go that extra mile before doing so. :-)

Also since User is far away I may want a local Attorney of User's caliber (hard to find I know). :-)
    Last edited by 45acpForMe; 08-28-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ed View Post
    Now that was funny....thank you Ed I needed the laugh.

User isn't just "an" attorney he is "the" attorney....lol

Not all lawyers are the same

You are one of the few exception to Shakespeare's rule.

Thanks Dan!

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    The letter is great. A way to make it greater is if User would allow us to send a self addressed stamped envelope and he would print one, fill out his information, and sign it.

That way when a LEO see's the letter it has signatures from the attorney and the client already.

I am tempted to print it out and put User's info on it but want to see if he would go that extra mile before doing so. :-)

Also since User is far away I may want a local Attorney of User's caliber (hard to find I know). :-)
    Right. A robosigned form letter.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

So what does it take to retain a lawyer for said circumstances?
    .45 ACP - Because shooting twice is silly

A cop pulled me over and said, "Papers..." So I said "Scissors, I win!" and drove away.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MagiK_SacK View Post
    Check your PM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MagiK_SacK View Post
    Just money. Put some into a lawyer's business on retainer and there you go. Should cost nothing in many cases..until you use the lawyer.

But you don't need a lawyer until after arraignment most of the time. To each his own.

Thanks for posting User.