Thread: Visiting Asheville Airport today

Visiting Asheville Airport today

TN resident here visiting Asheville Airport later today to pick up a friend. Was wondering what the deal was. Handgunlaw.us is vague on it, but I've heard it might not be ok at that airport. I've also heard that you can't conceal-OC only. What gives?
    "Anyone worth shooting once is worth shooting twice." -Zeus

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Well, upon further research it seems that airports are off limits, including leaving the gun in the car in some municipal codes, but state law overrides these codes. So leaving it in the car is ok, but it seems like I should probably keep it unloaded. Has my google-fu been good to me?

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Malcolm Reynolds

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States

Re: Visiting Asheville Airport today

Don't ask, don't tell?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2
    Carry on!

Asheville airport is the only occasion where I have seen Going Armed to the Terror of the Public stick for simply OC'ing a handgun. It did not help that the POTUS was flying out of there that day either.

Quote Originally Posted by SovereignAxe View Post
    Well, upon further research it seems that airports are off limits, including leaving the gun in the car in some municipal codes, but state law overrides these codes. So leaving it in the car is ok, but it seems like I should probably keep it unloaded. Has my google-fu been good to me?
    Not sure specifically about the Ashville airport, but one note is that NC generally does not differentiate between loaded and unloaded when referencing handguns in state law. What this means is that if you have it, you have it. If you don't you don't. The fact that it's loaded or not is not usually a factor. This is normally the scenario when dealing with gun laws in NC.

For example, if you are cited with a carrying a concealed weapon charge (or any other infraction/ violation), it won't matter whether it was loaded or not.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Asheville airport is the only occasion where I have seen Going Armed to the Terror of the Public stick for simply OC'ing a handgun. It did not help that the POTUS was flying out of there that day either.
    Incorrect. If you are referring to the incident where the person was arrested when Obama was flying out of the Asheville airport, the GATTTOTP charge was DROPPED. The person WAS convicted of carrying on city property though. Different charge.

As far as I know, the airport is still currently run by the city and therefore is prohibited to carry there. This situation may be changing in the future as the status of the city continueing to run the airport is being discussed.

I didn't get any responses before I left, so I left it in the car. I saw the signs at the entrance that has some sort of law code on them too-which I guess is an enforceable municipal statute.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCTarheel View Post
    Incorrect. If you are referring to the incident where the person was arrested when Obama was flying out of the Asheville airport, the GATTTOTP charge was DROPPED. The person WAS convicted of carrying on city property though. Different charge.

As far as I know, the airport is still currently run by the city and therefore is prohibited to carry there. This situation may be changing in the future as the status of the city continueing to run the airport is being discussed.
    What's the deal with carrying on city property? As in the whole city, or city run buildings like the bans on government buildings?

EDC = Walther PPQ 9mm

What's the deal with carrying on city property? As in the whole city, or city run buildings like the bans on government buildings?
    City buildings, parking lots, and parks are prohibited areas.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCTarheel View Post

Well then. We are back to zero on the GATTOP charges for OC'ing in NC. Good and bad news I guess. I could have sworn I read they convicted him on GATTTOTP. And I probably did. But I found an article that matches what you are saying as well. And it answers my questions on how they got GATTTOTP to stick, they didn't.

I didn't get any responses before I left, so I left it in the car. I saw the signs at the entrance that has some sort of law code on them too-which I guess is an enforceable municipal statute.

Generally speaking a city or county can restrict carry in their building, parking lots, and adjacent grounds. For instance, you can't carry in the courthouse, in the parking lot, or any of the grounds of the courthouse. But walking along the sidewalk in front of the courthouse should be fine. Maybe this will help. Notice that vehicle storage if fine.

(f) Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from application of their authority under G.S. 153A‑129, 160A‑189, 14‑269, 14‑269.2, 14‑269.3, 14‑269.4, 14‑277.2, 14‑415.11, 14‑415.23, including prohibiting the possession of firearms in public‑owned buildings, on the grounds or parking areas of those buildings, or in public parks or recreation areas, except nothing in this subsection shall prohibit a person from storing a firearm within a motor vehicle while the vehicle is on these grounds or areas. Nothing contained in this section prohibits municipalities or counties from exercising powers provided by law in declared states of emergency under Article 36A of this Chapter.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedL...14-409.40.html