Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backup firearm?

Backup firearm?

Money is tight so a month ago I pawned my Glock 21. Just went to pick it up and do other errands with my girl. I am OC'ing a Ruger SR9c. So that gives me two guns and I'm not leaving either of them in the car so I'm CC'ing my SR9c and OC'ing my G21. Got me thinking. How many people carry a backup gun, how often, and how do you carry it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

OC with my primary 51 navy conversion, and OC 2 inch J frame secondary, both 38spl.

Re: Backup firearm?

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    OC with my primary 51 navy conversion, and OC 2 inch J frame secondary, both 38spl.
    Both hip holsters, or hip and a drop leg, or what?

Quote Originally Posted by CCinMaine View Post
    Both hip holsters, or hip and a drop leg, or what?

The navy is in a Threepersons holster on the right hip(high ride) with a safety strap. The j frame is in the 10 o'clock position in a cross draw with a leather thong on the hammer.

Better say than sorry

I carry a Colt 80 series 1911 with two spare mags in a Blackhawk serpa level two holster

I carry a Charter Arms 38 undercover in an ankle holster just in case.( that is if i remember to put the damn thing on lol)
    Last edited by zack991; 08-28-2012 at 03:44 PM.
    -I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you screw with me, I'll kill you all.
    -Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
    Marine General James Mattis,

I am needing to downsize my primary. After that, I would like to carry a J 38. They won't be the same chamber; hmm, now I need to really think about this!
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Before I sold it (and a few others) to help offset the cost of my AR, I carried my PT709 as a BUG in the small of my back while I OC'd my Glock 22. Spare mag for the 709 was kept handy, too.
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

Backup firearm?

I occasionally carry as a back-up either a Taurus PT738 or a Kel-Tec PF9 concealed in the small of my back.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I occasionally carry as a back-up either a Taurus PT738 or a Kel-Tec PF9 concealed in the small of my back.
    I thought about a Kel-tec PF9. Will it eat pretty much anything: +P? I hear the trigger is a bit heavy, but I carried a Sigma for a year-or-so, and that trigger is 12 lbs.
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 08-28-2012 at 04:34 PM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

As a civilian if I am in a area that I have a need for a back up firearm. I most likely shouldn't be there.

Or I need a rifle instead of two pistols.

Carry two if you want. But I'll bring a rifle if I think that much need is there.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    As a civilian if I am in a area that I have a need for a back up firearm. I most likely shouldn't be there.

Carry two if you want. But I'll bring a rifle if I think that much need is there.
    I am a amateur quazi-photographer that enjoys most shooting at night--not a lot of people, and the lighting is better, IMO, for the shots I take. I do a lot of urban shooting, and have considered a backup. I am confident in my sidearm more than the round, actually. You make a valid point, IMO. I just carry four magazines when out, rather than one when shopping at Costco (yes, they are anti).

Backup firearm?

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    I thought about a Kel-tec PF9. Will it eat pretty much anything: +P? I hear the trigger is a bit heavy, but I carried a Sigma for a year-or-so, and that trigger is 12 lbs.
    My PF9 does not consistently feed hollow-points but besides that it eats everything.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

I have to say I like the feeling of being a walking armory without looking tacticool. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    I am needing to downsize my primary. After that, I would like to carry a J 38. They won't be the same chamber; hmm, now I need to really think about this!
    I was thinking about this. Why does it really matter if they are not the same chamber? Unless you plan to carry 2 firearms with interchangeable mags? (I know the J 38 is a revolver, not the point.) Point is, unless you intend to carry a back up that uses the same mags, or you just intend to carry a pocket full of loose ammo, you're probably not gonna be interchanging the ammo anyway.

Think through the average defense scenario. One that would have you lose your primary carry. Are you going to empty your backup into the BG then take the time to unload a primary mag and refill your backup's mag so you can keep shooting? Probably not as most defense gun fights are less than 1 minute total.

I could see it for only stocking one type of ammo, sure. But otherwise it probably won't matter much if they are different.

BTW, as it happens, I have actually carried my G19 OC and my G26 CC on a IWB. Guess what, the mags are actually interchangeable. But I wasn't planning that ahead of time.
    Last edited by mobiushky; 08-28-2012 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    My PF9 does not consistently feed hollow-points but besides that it eats everything.
    You know, I carry the first mag in my Beretta HP, and the other mags plinckers.

After one mag, I am throwing stones.

Quote Originally Posted by CCinMaine View Post
    I have to say I like the feeling of being a walking armory without looking tacticool. Haha.

No Hawaiian shirts for you?

Quote Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
    I was thinking about this. Why does it really matter if they are not the same chamber? Unless you plan to carry 2 firearms with interchangeable mags? (I know the J 38 is a revolver, not the point.) Point is, unless you intend to carry a back up that uses the same mags, or you just intend to carry a pocket full of loose ammo, you're probably not gonna be interchanging the ammo anyway.

Think through the average defense scenario. One that would have you lose your primary carry. Are you going to empty your backup into the BG then take the time to unload a primary mag and refill your backup's mag so you can keep shooting? Probably not as most defense gun fights are less than 1 minute total.

I could see it for only stocking one type of ammo, sure. But otherwise it probably won't matter much if they are different.
    Good point(s).

Campaign Veteran Glock9mmOldStyle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post

This is gibberish. Even in the best of areas anything can and does happen. You clealy have never been in a life or death situation. Be it your gun gets shot by the bad guy, you trip running for cover and your pistol bounces away from you into a dark parking lot, you are unable to use it due to struggling and so on a backup gun often is the difference between life and death. No offense but real life is dirty, nitty gritty stuff where the bad guys/gals are just as intent on staying alive as you are.

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both!
    “A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Glock9mmOldStyle View Post
    This is gibberish. Even in the best of areas anything can and does happen. You clealy have never been in a life or death situation. Be it your gun gets shot by the bad guy, you trip running for cover and your pistol bounces away from you into a dark parking lot, you are unable to use it due to struggling and so on a backup gun often is the difference between life and death. No offense but real life is dirty, nitty gritty stuff where the bad guys/gals are just as intent on staying alive as you are.

In other words, Rule #7. Always win - cheat if necessary.

Theoretically it is a good idea to have a back up weapon. In practice I think it would get cumbersome after awhile. I would say like a S&W model 36 in an ankle holster is a good back up choice though. however in practice it's up to personal preference.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
    In other words, Rule #7. Always win - cheat if necessary.
    Winning is the only objective because your life is the prize! :thumbup:

“A government that does not trust it’s law-abiding citizens to keep and bear arms is itself unworthy of trust.” James Madison.

“Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.” “The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.” George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Theoretically it is a good idea to have a back up weapon. In practice I think it would get cumbersome after awhile. I would say like a S&W model 36 in an ankle holster is a good back up choice though. however in practice it's up to personal preference.
    You have to know what works for you and practice, practice, practice. For me an ankle holster is useless unless I am in a fetal postion. Which if that is the case I guess it is better than a sharp stick. I try to have a backup placed where it can be drawn/used by either hand. If you worry about the extra weight, there are many fine "mouse guns" chambered in 380 and up.

You have to know what works for you and practice, practice, practice. For me an ankle holster is useless unless I am in a fetal postion. Which if that is the case I guess it is better than a sharp stick. I try to have a backup placed where it can be drawn/used by either hand. If you worry about the extra weight, there are many fine "mouse guns" chambered in 380 and up.

Just depends, I mean a back-up gun is theoretically used when you lose control of or can't access your primary carry piece. maybe you are in the fetal position or rolled up to protect yourself from a beating, in that case the BG is less likely to notice you moving your hand towards an ankle. maybe you're being subjected to a Deliverance style assault "grab your ankles" "sure thing! BLAM!" or are on your back ,etc. cases in which the BGs expect a gun in a shoulder or belt holster, the ankle holster is more likely to take a BG by surprise, most people don't carry guns on their ankles. again it just comes to personal preference I guess.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Just depends, I mean a back-up gun is theoretically used when you lose control of or can't access your primary carry piece. maybe you are in the fetal position or rolled up to protect yourself from a beating, in that case the BG is less likely to notice you moving your hand towards an ankle. maybe you're being subjected to a Deliverance style assault "grab your ankles" "sure thing! BLAM!" or are on your back ,etc. cases in which the BGs expect a gun in a shoulder or belt holster, the ankle holster is more likely to take a BG by surprise, most people don't carry guns on their ankles. again it just comes to personal preference I guess.
    Well not only is a BUG a good idea for those instances you mention above, most people I know can draw a BUG faster than they can reload their primary pistol. The case for a BUG can be summed up simply: better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Well not only is a BUG a good idea for those instances you mention above, most people I know can draw a BUG faster than they can reload their primary pistol. The case for a BUG can be summed up simply: better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Isn't that called a New York reload? LOL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast