• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Backup firearm?

CCinMaine

Money is tight so a month ago I pawned my Glock 21. Just went to pick it up and do other errands with my girl. I am OC'ing a Ruger SR9c. So that gives me two guns and I'm not leaving either of them in the car so I'm CC'ing my SR9c and OC'ing my G21. Got me thinking. How many people carry a backup gun, how often, and how do you carry it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

WalkingWolf

Both hip holsters, or hip and a drop leg, or what?

The navy is in a Threepersons holster on the right hip(high ride) with a safety strap. The j frame is in the 10 o'clock position in a cross draw with a leather thong on the hammer.

zack991

Better say than sorry

I carry a Colt 80 series 1911 with two spare mags in a Blackhawk serpa level two holster

I carry a Charter Arms 38 undercover in an ankle holster just in case.( that is if i remember to put the damn thing on lol)

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

I am needing to downsize my primary. After that, I would like to carry a J 38. They won't be the same chamber; hmm, now I need to really think about this!:banghead:

MainelyGlock

Before I sold it (and a few others) to help offset the cost of my AR, I carried my PT709 as a BUG in the small of my back while I OC'd my Glock 22. Spare mag for the 709 was kept handy, too.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I occasionally carry as a back-up either a Taurus PT738 or a Kel-Tec PF9 concealed in the small of my back.

Beretta92FSLady

I occasionally carry as a back-up either a Taurus PT738 or a Kel-Tec PF9 concealed in the small of my back.

I thought about a Kel-tec PF9. Will it eat pretty much anything: +P? I hear the trigger is a bit heavy, but I carried a Sigma for a year-or-so, and that trigger is 12 lbs.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

As a civilian if I am in a area that I have a need for a back up firearm. I most likely shouldn't be there.

Or I need a rifle instead of two pistols.

Carry two if you want. But I'll bring a rifle if I think that much need is there.

Beretta92FSLady

As a civilian if I am in a area that I have a need for a back up firearm. I most likely shouldn't be there.

Carry two if you want. But I'll bring a rifle if I think that much need is there.

I am a amateur quazi-photographer that enjoys most shooting at night--not a lot of people, and the lighting is better, IMO, for the shots I take. I do a lot of urban shooting, and have considered a backup. I am confident in my sidearm more than the round, actually. You make a valid point, IMO. I just carry four magazines when out, rather than one when shopping at Costco (yes, they are anti).

CCinMaine

I have to say I like the feeling of being a walking armory without looking tacticool. Haha.

mobiushky

I am needing to downsize my primary. After that, I would like to carry a J 38. They won't be the same chamber; hmm, now I need to really think about this!:banghead:

I was thinking about this. Why does it really matter if they are not the same chamber? Unless you plan to carry 2 firearms with interchangeable mags? (I know the J 38 is a revolver, not the point.) Point is, unless you intend to carry a back up that uses the same mags, or you just intend to carry a pocket full of loose ammo, you're probably not gonna be interchanging the ammo anyway.

Think through the average defense scenario. One that would have you lose your primary carry. Are you going to empty your backup into the BG then take the time to unload a primary mag and refill your backup's mag so you can keep shooting? Probably not as most defense gun fights are less than 1 minute total.

I could see it for only stocking one type of ammo, sure. But otherwise it probably won't matter much if they are different.

BTW, as it happens, I have actually carried my G19 OC and my G26 CC on a IWB. Guess what, the mags are actually interchangeable. But I wasn't planning that ahead of time.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

I was thinking about this. Why does it really matter if they are not the same chamber? Unless you plan to carry 2 firearms with interchangeable mags? (I know the J 38 is a revolver, not the point.) Point is, unless you intend to carry a back up that uses the same mags, or you just intend to carry a pocket full of loose ammo, you're probably not gonna be interchanging the ammo anyway.

Think through the average defense scenario. One that would have you lose your primary carry. Are you going to empty your backup into the BG then take the time to unload a primary mag and refill your backup's mag so you can keep shooting? Probably not as most defense gun fights are less than 1 minute total.

I could see it for only stocking one type of ammo, sure. But otherwise it probably won't matter much if they are different.

Good point(s).

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran

This is gibberish. Even in the best of areas anything can and does happen. You clealy have never been in a life or death situation. Be it your gun gets shot by the bad guy, you trip running for cover and your pistol bounces away from you into a dark parking lot, you are unable to use it due to struggling and so on a backup gun often is the difference between life and death. No offense but real life is dirty, nitty gritty stuff where the bad guys/gals are just as intent on staying alive as you are. :confused:

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

mobiushky

This is gibberish. Even in the best of areas anything can and does happen. You clealy have never been in a life or death situation. Be it your gun gets shot by the bad guy, you trip running for cover and your pistol bounces away from you into a dark parking lot, you are unable to use it due to struggling and so on a backup gun often is the difference between life and death. No offense but real life is dirty, nitty gritty stuff where the bad guys/gals are just as intent on staying alive as you are. :confused:

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

In other words, Rule #7. Always win - cheat if necessary.

EMNofSeattle

Theoretically it is a good idea to have a back up weapon. In practice I think it would get cumbersome after awhile. I would say like a S&W model 36 in an ankle holster is a good back up choice though. however in practice it's up to personal preference.