• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Backup firearm?

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Theoretically it is a good idea to have a back up weapon. In practice I think it would get cumbersome after awhile. I would say like a S&W model 36 in an ankle holster is a good back up choice though. however in practice it's up to personal preference.

You have to know what works for you and practice, practice, practice. For me an ankle holster is useless unless I am in a fetal postion. Which if that is the case I guess it is better than a sharp stick. I try to have a backup placed where it can be drawn/used by either hand. If you worry about the extra weight, there are many fine "mouse guns" chambered in 380 and up.

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

EMNofSeattle

You have to know what works for you and practice, practice, practice. For me an ankle holster is useless unless I am in a fetal postion. Which if that is the case I guess it is better than a sharp stick. I try to have a backup placed where it can be drawn/used by either hand. If you worry about the extra weight, there are many fine "mouse guns" chambered in 380 and up.

Just depends, I mean a back-up gun is theoretically used when you lose control of or can't access your primary carry piece. maybe you are in the fetal position or rolled up to protect yourself from a beating, in that case the BG is less likely to notice you moving your hand towards an ankle. maybe you're being subjected to a Deliverance style assault "grab your ankles" "sure thing! BLAM!" or are on your back ,etc. cases in which the BGs expect a gun in a shoulder or belt holster, the ankle holster is more likely to take a BG by surprise, most people don't carry guns on their ankles. again it just comes to personal preference I guess.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Just depends, I mean a back-up gun is theoretically used when you lose control of or can't access your primary carry piece. maybe you are in the fetal position or rolled up to protect yourself from a beating, in that case the BG is less likely to notice you moving your hand towards an ankle. maybe you're being subjected to a Deliverance style assault "grab your ankles" "sure thing! BLAM!" or are on your back ,etc. cases in which the BGs expect a gun in a shoulder or belt holster, the ankle holster is more likely to take a BG by surprise, most people don't carry guns on their ankles. again it just comes to personal preference I guess.

Well not only is a BUG a good idea for those instances you mention above, most people I know can draw a BUG faster than they can reload their primary pistol. The case for a BUG can be summed up simply: better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. :D

mobiushky

Well not only is a BUG a good idea for those instances you mention above, most people I know can draw a BUG faster than they can reload their primary pistol. The case for a BUG can be summed up simply: better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. :D

Isn't that called a New York reload? LOL!

zack991

My PF9 does not consistently feed hollow-points but besides that it eats everything.

Have you tried using either Corbon PoWER Ball ammo, which is what I use in my 1911 or have you tried using hornady critical_defense. Both of which use a polymer ball in the end of the hollow point to help it feed more reliably and works like a FMJ in going through glass, clothing, wood ect. Yet when it hits the target it allows for near perfect expansion into the target. Both are very good rounds and if your having reliably issues with feeding on your rounds I would encourage you to look into the.

http://www.hornady.com/store/critical_defense/

http://www.shopcorbon.com/Glaser-PowRBall/600/600/dept

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Have you tried using either Corbon PoWER Ball ammo, which is what I use in my 1911 or have you tried using hornady critical_defense. Both of which use a polymer ball in the end of the hollow point to help it feed more reliably and works like a FMJ in going through glass, clothing, wood ect. Yet when it hits the target it allows for near perfect expansion into the target. Both are very good rounds and if your having reliably issues with feeding on your rounds I would encourage you to look into the.

http://www.hornady.com/store/critical_defense/

http://www.shopcorbon.com/Glaser-PowRBall/600/600/dept

Personally, when I was in Montana and more worried about bear attacks I loaded up with Winchester SXT (black talon, the evil armor piercing human killing round) I also like Speer Gold Dot, never really tried the powerball ammo, of course since it makes no difference what you shoot at paper, I'd need a block of ballistic gel just to see how the stuff actually expands outward.

Firearms Iinstuctor

This is gibberish. Even in the best of areas anything can and does happen. You clealy have never been in a life or death situation. Be it your gun gets shot by the bad guy, you trip running for cover and your pistol bounces away from you into a dark parking lot, you are unable to use it due to struggling and so on a backup gun often is the difference between life and death. No offense but real life is dirty, nitty gritty stuff where the bad guys/gals are just as intent on staying alive as you are. :confused:

Carry three if you want I could care less anything could happen.

You would be better off to spend the money on soft armor and wear that instead of a BUG.(not as much fun as a 2nd gun)

How many of you who want to carry a BUG have own, wear soft armor it will do more to save your life then a BUG
in more types of situations then a BUG.

If I had a choice beteen a BUG and armor I'll take the armor any day. I wore both for over 33 years every working day.(been in just one or two situations in that time period.)

My main bug was a 3913 or 2.5 inch 357 I would of left both at home instead of my armor.

For most CCW holders wanting to carry a BUG is just a good reason to buy a 2nd gun. Nothing wrong with owning a couple of doezn handguns at least thats what I tell the wife.

If your of the anything can happen mind set for every day situtations You can't carry enough gear.

Even with a whole cruiser full of gear you run into situations where you need something else.

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Carry three if you want I could care less anything could happen.

You would be better off to spend the money on soft armor and wear that instead of a BUG.(not as much fun as a 2nd gun)

How many of you who want to carry a BUG have own, wear soft armor it will do more to save your life then a BUG
in more types of situations then a BUG.

If I had a choice beteen a BUG and armor I'll take the armor any day. I wore both for over 33 years every working day.(been in just one or two situations in that time period.)

My main bug was a 3913 or 2.5 inch 357 I would of left both at home instead of my armor.

For most CCW holders wanting to carry a BUG is just a good reason to buy a 2nd gun. Nothing wrong with owning a couple of doezn handguns at least thats what I tell the wife.

If your of the anything can happen mind set for every day situtations You can't carry enough gear.

Even with a whole cruiser full of gear you run into situations where you need something else.

Agreed - it comes down to a balancing act. What must I have vs. What would I carry. Less than 5% of the people here have ever worn a vest. You and I are in that small minority. They are uncomfortable, hot, and smelly if you are in them day in and out. All that aside, given the choice between the BUG or a vest the vest wins. For most a vest is not practicle for everday wear. As the technology gets better, hopefully that changes soon.

I had the good furtune to have access to some old vests that had been retired do to wear/tear. It was amazing to see that amount of punishment they absorbed before failing. Some were nearly twenty years old.

Firearms Iinstuctor

If you are putting your life in such dangerous situations that you feel the need to carry two guns. One better be buying and wearing armor also.

I am not talking about carring two to make a polical statement or because I can or I want too or I think its neat, all good reasons to carry two guns.

I am talking about day in day out there may a very good will be a chance I will need a 2nd gun. You really better be buying and wearing armor also. Meaning you don't leave the house with out it on, if you can leave with out the armor you can leave the 2nd gun to. My armor as save me from serious bodily harm more then once. If your serious about saving your life and really think it might happen armor is way more important the a BUG.

I don't think I ever drew my BUG, my service one was allways good enough. If I thought it was really going to get bad the M16 or shotgun came out.

Now a good folding knife is way more useful every day then a BUG and can be use as a 2nd weapon if needed.

I always have one of those in my pocket and use it several times a day something always needs to be cut..

WalkingWolf

If you are putting your life in such dangerous situations that you feel the need to carry two guns.

Or I guess we could go out and buy a Magic Eight Ball, or have our palms read daily so we know like you when we may be in a dangerous situation. Heck if that was the case why carry at all, just visit a physic before going out.:banghead:

EMNofSeattle

Or I guess we could go out and buy a Magic Eight Ball, or have our palms read daily so we know like you when we may be in a dangerous situation. Heck if that was the case why carry at all, just visit a physic before going out.:banghead:

The impression I got was more that you can't prepare for everything. Sure a backup gun might be useful in some situations, but so would a carbine or a shotgun. Having 5 reloads is good too, but not practical in most daily life, especially if carrying concealed. It's simply not possible to be perfectly prepared for any occurrence at all times. Carrying a back up gun is great and anyone who thinks its a good idea should certainly carry one, but not carrying a backup gun isn't a death sentence either

WalkingWolf

The impression I got was more that you can't prepare for everything. Sure a backup gun might be useful in some situations, but so would a carbine or a shotgun. Having 5 reloads is good too, but not practical in most daily life, especially if carrying concealed. It's simply not possible to be perfectly prepared for any occurrence at all times. Carrying a back up gun is great and anyone who thinks its a good idea should certainly carry one, but not carrying a backup gun isn't a death sentence either

Nope it is not, but it could be for revolver fans. Or if the primary has a failure, it does happen, Murphy's law. Besides LAC do not have backups coming, they are on their own.

Chris 45LC

It depends on where you are and what you're doing. You never know when or where you will need both a sidearm and a bug for protection but it doesn't take a magic ball to know what the crime rate of an area is. I live in rural Ohio where gun violence (there is no such thing as a violent gun) is rare. I only go into a big city maybe two times a year and that's only if I have to. Because I stay in the country, usually stay at home at night and don't go to places where I shouldn't be, I rarely feel the need for a back up gun. If I was a LEO, I would probably keep about three guns on my person and wear armor.

Hornady Critical Defense in 45LC is what I carry....Awesome ammo!

Firearms Iinstuctor

What are you talking about.

There are areas and jobs that are more dangerous then others. Every day life for most is not.

Sure it can happen anyplace any time. But so can fires, vehicle crashes and a lot of other things that can kill you that happen far more often then a personal attacks.

Are you prepared for the chance that one of those can happen to you. You would be better off wearing a helmet because the chances of getting a head injury and dieing from it, in a slip or fall or vehicle crash is a lot greater then you well ever use a bug.

Carrying a gun is a good idea I do it all the time. If you want to go to the trouble of carrying 2 go ahead. No one is saying you shouldn't.

If I thought that a 2nd gun would improve my odds I'll be the frist to carry one. I did for many years but there there other things I do that have a far greater chance of improveing those odds then a 2nd gun ever well. If you are not doing useing them frist you are carrying a 2nd gun for other reasons.

Life is dangerous many actions and things can kill and hurt you . Every one has to balance between living smart and weighing the chances of something bad happening to you to ones own actions. Doing some things just make more sense then others.

WalkingWolf

What are you talking about.

There are areas and jobs that are more dangerous then others. Every day life for most is not.

Sure it can happen anyplace any time. But so can fires, vehicle crashes and a lot of other things that can kill you that happen far more often then a personal attacks.

Are you prepared for the chance that one of those can happen to you. You would be better off wearing a helmet because the chances of getting a head injury and dieing from it, in a slip or fall or vehicle crash is a lot greater then you well ever use a bug.

Carrying a gun is a good idea I do it all the time. If you want to go to the trouble of carrying 2 go ahead. No one is saying you shouldn't.

If I thought that a 2nd gun would improve my odds I'll be the frist to carry one. I did for many years but there there other things I do that have a far greater chance of improveing those odds then a 2nd gun ever well. If you are not doing useing them frist you are carrying a 2nd gun for other reasons.

Life is dangerous many actions and things can kill and hurt you . Every one has to balance between living smart and weighing the chances of something bad happening to you to ones own actions. Doing some things just make more sense then others.

What it boils down to what is reasonable and what is not. Carrying a second gun is no more unreasonable than some that carry a box of ammunition in multiple magazines. I have 11 shots in two guns, while the double stack folks have more in one magazine. For me it makes sense, get over it. A second gun is not uncomfortable, it is not a hindrance, it is nothing more than having a second tool. A vest is uncomfortable, it is hot, if worn often and not cleaned it stinks. A effective vest is obvious so in most cases is useless, a second gun is not. I chose not to wear a vest, my decision not yours. I have to live with my choice, you should to.

It does not matter whether a BUG is ever used, just as it is a silly argument that carrying a firearm is seldom used, a common anti argument. I am just amazed that there are people that actually think a BUG is something to get ruffled about. FTR I don't care if someone chooses not to carry, carry 100s or rounds on them, 30 round magazines, or a gold chain for their wallet, on pants falling off their arse. It is their business, not mine, so I am always amazed at those who are more interested in what somebody else does instead of looking within.

If you don't like BUGs don't carry them.