• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun transfer

NAVYBLUE

Hi Guys,

Back east for summer visiting kids/grand kids and MIL. Looking to purchase Hi-Point 40 cal rifle and have it sent to a FFL shop in Vegas. As I have only lived in NLV for about 15 months, I need a recommendation for a reputable FFL in NLV or Northwest LV. Thanks in advance.

NAVYBLUE

Last edited:

SoLasVegas

Hi Guys,

Back east for summer visiting kids/grand kids and MIL. Looking to purchase Hi-Point 40 cal rifle and have it sent to a FFL shop in Vegas. As I have only lived in NLV for about 15 months, I need a recommendation for a reputable FFL in NLV or Northwest LV. Thanks in advance.

NAVYBLUE

Give New Frontier Armory a call.

https://newfrontierarmory.com/catalog/

davidmcbeth

Banned
All FFLs should be considered reputable ... they go through a BR check routinely ...

go to gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com for one near you

the atf website may offer additional options

NAVYBLUE

Thanks everyone for your replies. I invite everyone who is in the market for a cheap BUT reliable semi-automatic rifle that can shoot 9mm, 40 cal or 45 cal pistol ammo depending on model to check out HiPoint.com and other site reviews. Retails for around $299-$329 and you can add a scope and/or laser. Accurate to around 50-100 yards and is compared to the AK47 in reliability.

I found it interesting that some reviewers said because of the 18" length that you can actually fire it with one hand like a long barrel pistol with close in accuracy. Would make a good truck rifle or home defense weapon. Check it out if you don't have the bucks for the AR15.

Also while checking out gun sites for the Hi Point rifle, I noticed a site selling "assault" rifles. Turns out they think a semi-automatic rifle is an "assault" rifle. With friends like this, we don't need enemies.

NAVYBLUE

The Big Guy

Thanks everyone for your replies. I invite everyone who is in the market for a cheap BUT reliable semi-automatic rifle that can shoot 9mm, 40 cal or 45 cal pistol ammo depending on model to check out HiPoint.com and other site reviews. Retails for around $299-$329 and you can add a scope and/or laser. Accurate to around 50-100 yards and is compared to the AK47 in reliability.

I found it interesting that some reviewers said because of the 18" length that you can actually fire it with one hand like a long barrel pistol with close in accuracy. Would make a good truck rifle or home defense weapon. Check it out if you don't have the bucks for the AR15.

Also while checking out gun sites for the Hi Point rifle, I noticed a site selling "assault" rifles. Turns out they think a semi-automatic rifle is an "assault" rifle. With friends like this, we don't need enemies.

NAVYBLUE

Words have meaning. Sometimes it's not what we want them to mean. I don't use the term "assault rifle", nor do I use the term "gun" as it has a very negative connotation as well. I use the term "firearm". The media has done a good job of vilifying those terms. Like "cop killer bullets", remember them?

TBG

NAVYBLUE

Words have meaning. Sometimes it's not what we want them to mean. I don't use the term "assault rifle", nor do I use the term "gun" as it has a very negative connotation as well. I use the term "firearm". The media has done a good job of vilifying those terms. Like "cop killer bullets", remember them?

TBG

Agree. In looking at the BATF website I have difficulty figuring out what an "assault" rifle technically is. I had always assumed you could not own an automatic weapon after a certain date unless you got a special "permission slip" from the BATF or you owned it prior to the banning.

Guns vs firearm discussions. I also try to use firearm instead of gun. I tell them criminals have guns and law abiding citizens have weapons. When they ask why I carry a "gun" I tell them because a cop is too damn heavy to carry. And if it is a metro-sexual, liberal male who is asking I respond (especially if his wife is present); "someone has to protect my wife and your wife until the police arrive." The look some of these women give their husbands are priceless.

NAVYBLUE

carolina guy

NAVYBLUE

Got the .40 a few months ago, and even in a 30mph cross wind, it was extremely accurate. I recommend it!

jdholmes

All FFLs should be considered reputable ... they go through a BR check routinely ...

go to gunbroker.com or auctionarms.com for one near you

the atf website may offer additional options

I had a very bad experience from one recommended by gun broker...so no, they are not all reputable.

Will you get your gun, yes. Will you enjoy the experience, not necessarily.

NAVYBLUE

Glen Parshall at Bargain Pawn is my go to guy. I think he is doing $15 for transfers right now.

http://www.bargainpawn.com/guntransfers.html

And fwiw, he was at the legislative meeting this morning ready to give em hell with me over possible "assault weapons" legislation.
Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the info. Am curious though why his website says he will "not" accept transfer of Hi-Point rifles and a couple of other inexpensive rifle/handgun manufacturers. I thoroughly researched for a semi automatic rifle with scope and laser for under $500 that shot 40 or 45 cal and decided on the Hi-Point. All (10) websites I went to gave it good reviews and only negatives it got were from "I have a friend" who got one and didn't like it but they themselves never fired it.

That being said, I appreciate his stand on gun legislation but am bewildered by his take on Hi Point rifles.

NAVYBLUE

The Big Guy

Thanks for the info. Am curious though why his website says he will "not" accept transfer of Hi-Point rifles and a couple of other inexpensive rifle/handgun manufacturers. I thoroughly researched for a semi automatic rifle with scope and laser for under $500 that shot 40 or 45 cal and decided on the Hi-Point. All (10) websites I went to gave it good reviews and only negatives it got were from "I have a friend" who got one and didn't like it but they themselves never fired it.

That being said, I appreciate his stand on gun legislation but am bewildered by his take on Hi Point rifles.

NAVYBLUE

Ask them.

TBG

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Some feel that cheap firearms are only for crooks, and they think they are doing society a favor by not selling cheap firearms. One gun show I went to many years ago had his store as the official FFL for the show, and they still had that stipulation. Hi-Point, Davis, Raven, Jennings, and several other inexpensive guns were not allowed to be transferred at that show.

jdholmes

That's a shame. Hi-point is all my in-laws could afford to get my mother-in-law a carry weapon. I would rather her have a cheap firearm than none at all.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
That's a shame. Hi-point is all my in-laws could afford to get my mother-in-law a carry weapon. I would rather her have a cheap firearm than none at all.

And they actually have a very good reputation for dependability. Go figure. Citizens deserve cheap firearms more so than crooks do! The crooks are the ones more likely to afford more expensive guns as they progress through their career of robbing people too poor and/or ignorant to defend themselves.

Merlin

For arguments sake, if I was an FFL, and I had strong convictions about quality (and thus safety) concerns of a particular brand of firearm, I could see refusing to be part of getting more of them "on the street".

I can accept that such things can be at the discretion of the individual FFL, even if I disagree with it. In this particular case, I don't have an opinion either way about HiPoint and such, but I would tend to give some credibility to Glen. If he says I don't want one, I'm likely to believe him.

wrightme

For arguments sake, if I was an FFL, and I had strong convictions about quality (and thus safety) concerns of a particular brand of firearm, I could see refusing to be part of getting more of them "on the street".

I can accept that such things can be at the discretion of the individual FFL, even if I disagree with it. In this particular case, I don't have an opinion either way about HiPoint and such, but I would tend to give some credibility to Glen. If he says I don't want one, I'm likely to believe him.

Ask him WHY you would not want a firearm that is reliable, low cost, and has a lifetime warranty.

I did own a Hi-Point .45. It was completely reliable. When you lined up the 3-dot sights, and pulled the trigger, it put a round down range with the accuracy the person holding it could accomplish; every time without FTfeed/fire/eject. It simply worked. It was butt-ugly, and the mag release was 'wrong,' but it simply worked.

The choice to own or not, is a personal one, and should have nothing to do with the aforementioned 'reasons' some FFLs may have.

NAVYBLUE

Thanks everyone for your inputs. I CAN afford a $10,000 rifle. I don't NEED a $10,000 rifle. I respect his stand to "maybe" stop the selling of cheap weapons to guns, BUT I don't think the local criminal is shopping at his store. I also guarantee you the sites I checked for the reputation and testing of this rifle are much more knowledgeable than 99% of America's gun shops/pawn shops.

And as a retired NAVY E9 (28) years, the experience and input of a retired NAVY SEAL sniper whose suggestions I value immensely, has lead me to go with this rifle. There are not too many 40 cal rifles you can fire one handed sitting, kneeling, standing and running with relative good to excellent accuracy if you HAD to. There are other reasons why this rifle is exactly what I am looking for that I am not comfortable discussing on a public forum.

That all being said, I will purchase it here back east and bring it back to Vegas.

NAVYBLUE

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Long guns may be purchased in any state that allows it. Nevada does. Prior to the last legislative session NV would not sell to a non-resident unless they were from a bordering state.

States (like the usual suspects (i.e. CA)) may enact laws that forbid their residents from purchasing out of state, but NV no longer has any restrictions, so if the selling state doesn't mind, then out-of-state purchases of long guns is perfectly legal.

Last edited:

mp06011999

Glen Parshall at Bargain Pawn is my go to guy. I think he is doing $15 for transfers right now.

http://www.bargainpawn.com/guntransfers.html

And fwiw, he was at the legislative meeting this morning ready to give em hell with me over possible "assault weapons" legislation.

Wow, thanks Merlin. I just ordered an LCP with the Crimson Trace from an online retailer and needed an inexpensive FFl. Called Bargain Pawn ($15) and am currently awaiting confirmation from the seller that they got the FFl's fax. Hopefully all will go well. Couldn't beat the deals. Thanks so much!