• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Who needs a gun when selling a car?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Situational awareness utterly lacking. Ask for a phone number and "I'll call you to set up a time for you to look at it."

And then do not fall into the Craigslist trap of being there alone when the potential buyer shows up with a few of their friends. Your second, standing off to the side with the cell phone out (maybe taking their pictures?) and you making sure you are not in the line of possible fire.

It sucks to be that paranoid. But it does not suck as much as being robbesd, carjacked, or murdered. Or all three.

stay safe.

MKEgal

How about arranging a meeting in the parking lot of a police station?
(In addition to having a friend or 2 with camera & pistol.)
I remember a recent news article here in Milwaukee saying that the police were suggesting people meet for Craig's List sales at police stations, as in in the lobby.
Obviously the lobby won't work unless it's a bicycle or motorcycle, but I don't think any criminal would even want to be out front where they could see him.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
CYA - another set of eyes and ears to protect the neutral ground. Select a very visible site, but with plenty of free room. Don't go behind buildings, don't get boxed in and never meet at anyone's home, most assuredly not yours.

Other does and don'ts may apply, but you get the idea - CYA.

EMNofSeattle

Having just sold a truck, my preferred deal is to meet at grocery stores, there's always people moving in and out, and besides it's easier as far as directions go. what worries me is test drives.

before the truck I had two non-running cars I had to sell, in both cases the buyers had to come to my house, becuase the cars weren't working and I was too friggin broke to have them towed. in both cases I made sure to OC my .38 when greeting them at my place.

EMNofSeattle

I remember a recent news article here in Milwaukee saying that the police were suggesting people meet for Craig's List sales at police stations, as in in the lobby.
Obviously the lobby won't work unless it's a bicycle or motorcycle, but I don't think any criminal would even want to be out front where they could see him.

Wow, I think my local sheriff's office might not be happy if we were using the out front parking to effect a car sale and the spots weren't available to those who were actually there to use the courthouse. Although I suppose it's a great idea to meet at cop stations as long as there is parking to put both the buyer and seller vehicles. (which in my area is an "if" finding parking during sheriff business hours is always a pain.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

All well and good so long as -
1- police have cctv coverage of the parking lot
2 -police actually monitor the cctv
3 -police have enough staff to respond as soon as they see trouble via the cctv
4 -well, you get the picture.

Heck, even I know someone who usually is willing to be bribed (flat out paid) to stand by while I make questionable deals.:) It's all about basic common sense - which as we all know is very uncommon.

stay safe.

Sangre

All well and good so long as -
1- police have cctv coverage of the parking lot
2 -police actually monitor the cctv
3 -police have enough staff to respond as soon as they see trouble via the cctv
4 -well, you get the picture.

Heck, even I know someone who usually is willing to be bribed (flat out paid) to stand by while I make questionable deals.:) It's all about basic common sense - which as we all know is very uncommon.

stay safe.

I've heard a couple of people tell me they do these sort of transactions in bank lobbies. Could be a good option if you can't make it to or find enough parking at an actually police station.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Buy your cars -- that is, real cars -- while you still can:

Obama’s Sneaky, Deadly, Costly Car Tax

At least there will still be BIG guns.

There will be full size, gas guzzling, Bronco's around until I'm dead and scattered in the Bay, Repeater. I expect I'll still be driving my 95 till then.

After that....it's someone else's problem and fight.:cuss:

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I've heard a couple of people tell me they do these sort of transactions in bank lobbies. Could be a good option if you can't make it to or find enough parking at an actually police station.

And what do you do when the potential buyer wants to look under the hood? Out in the unprotected open again, aren't you.

And something we have not discussed - the test drive. Do you sit in the back seat while your second holds the potential buyer's DL? Or does your second sit in the back seat while you hold the DL? Whichever, it is one of the few times I might want my phone to be able to tell someone else where it is in real time.

If you are paranoid and prepare for it, there is usually nothing to be paranoid about. If you are not paranoid, or if you fail to prepare for it, there is every reason to be paranoid.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I just realized something - all those suggestions for meeting outside the PD or in the bank lobby are for potential buyers who show up with a wad of cash in their pocket. We (at least I am) are talking about the seller and how they can protect themself and their vehicle.

stay safe.

OrangeIsTrouble

I just realized something - all those suggestions for meeting outside the PD or in the bank lobby are for potential buyers who show up with a wad of cash in their pocket. We (at least I am) are talking about the seller and how they can protect themself and their vehicle.

stay safe.
Open carry?

Don't play email tag. Talk to people via phone so you can judge them. Do a quick google search to see if there is bullshiet related to their number. Screen them. Judge them. Screen them. Get a spare prepaid phone with a sexy data plan and download program gylmpse. Wire phone to battery source and set the glympse tracking for X amount of time before heading out to meet them. Install a switch that shuts off your fuel pump. Be discrete about it. I have quite a few friends that have done this... they are sneaky sneaky, it looks like they reach for their wallet and click!

cptstoney

i'm oc'ing the next time i go to buy a car(it will be awhile the jeep refuses to day even after a fire or two) much less sell one.