Thread: Open Carry of Long Guns

Open Carry of Long Guns

Does anybody have any useful links to laws regarding long guns and the public? Wondering about carrying a basic non-NFA semi-auto rifle or shotgun in my car, but was also wondering about all the videos I've seen online of people carrying an AR-15 or similar around on the streets the same as open carry with a handgun. Not saying I think it's a good idea to purposely try to stir the pot, but if I were forced to abandon my car due to bad road conditions or an accident, I would never want to leave the vehicle with a firearm in it for any length of time. In that case, I would want to carry the rifle or whatever with me to get home or to a more secure place.

From what I know it is legal to do so in this state. I do agree it wouldnt be a good idea,but, if I had to leave my vehicle unattended then I would probably carry it, and if stopped,I would explain the situation which I would like to believe wouldnt cause any concern with LE. You can OC in a truck rack in the window of course.

Pretty sure if it was properly slung over/under our shoulder and in an obviously NOT ready position, the law (or lack thereof) is the same as a holstered pistol. In fact, this would be even more in-line with the hunting/self defense aspect of the 2A.

Correct me if I am wrong...for IANAL.
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Open Carry of Long Guns

I swear, do new posters even read the rules anymore? This concept is not difficult. Seriously...

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    I swear, do new posters even read the rules anymore? This concept is not difficult. Seriously...

(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry. Exception: This rule does NOT apply to discussions about long gun carry in jurisdictions such as California which ban handgun carry and thus require long gun carry as a matter of public policy.

There are rules on the internet? (j/k)

Bet the women out there are laughing because they know men don't read rules or manuals

what would the NC side of OC forum do w/o the helpful insight of the individual from PA.

wabbit
    But who prays for Satan? Who in eighteen centuries, has had the common humanity to pray for the one sinner that needed it most...
    A person who has for untold centuries maintained the imposing position of spiritual head of four-fifths of the human race...
    All religions issue bibles against him, and say the most injurious things about him, but we never hear his side. (twain)

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post

We don't need no stinking rules!
    Seriously, Whats the difference. Free Speech should allow us to talk about what we want to. We don't need a topic nazi telling us what we can discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    Pretty sure if it was properly slung over/under our shoulder and in an obviously NOT ready position, the law (or lack thereof) is the same as a holstered pistol. In fact, this would be even more in-line with the hunting/self defense aspect of the 2A.

Correct me if I am wrong...for IANAL.

there's a hunting and self defense aspect to the 2A??? I must have read it wrong, I could have sworn it was about the People being capable of defending and fighting off a tyrannical government....

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizalot View Post
    Seriously, Whats the difference. Free Speech should allow us to talk about what we want to. We don't need a topic nazi telling us what we can discuss.
    Free speech applies to Governments, not internet forum. Internet forums are private and the owners can have most any rule they want. Don't like it you can always not post.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizalot View Post
    We do need rules because our goal is to get legislatures, courts, and people who are on the fence to see our side of the argument. So we have decided that, for now, the battle to normalize the open carry of properly holstered handguns is a winnable battle and long gun open carry distracts from that.

Closing the thread.

John