• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When asked a question "Why do you Open Carry?" How do you respond?

sparkman2

...of why you OC, how would you respond?
I was asked by a friend of mine how often I OC and my reply was all the time. I admit that there are certain times that I will CC, there are also times I am unable to carry at all, but almost always I OC. He gave me the old "what if"" scenario of the ex LEO buddy who had explained to him that when a robber comes into a 7-11 and looks around and sees a person with a gun on their side, they are now the target. I said that may be true but isn't it true for his LEO buddy as well? I said that there is no evidence to support that claim and it is also possible that the crime may be avoided because the criminal saw an armed citizen and it wasn't part of his plan. Do any criminals take into consideration of confronting an armed citizen? I asked him "what if" the robber doesn't know how many other people in that 7-11 are OCing and he just hasn't seen them yet? I'll bet they introduce themselves to him rather quickly. My friend CC's and I asked him if it ever came about that he had to draw his weapon, how long would it take for him to lift his shirt, draw his weapon, and squeeze off one well aimed shot, if he didn't have to chamber a round first? He said about 3-5 seconds. Too long, which could be a lifetime in some cases. I believe I read somewhere that a healthy grown man can cover 21 feet in 1 to 1-1/2 seconds. Not much time to react.
I carry to protect my family and myself from those who wish to do us harm an just remember rule 1...Guns have only two enemies rust and politicians.

va_tazdad

Because

I just smile and say "Isn't the 2nd Amendment wonderful"?

That usually starts the conversation on a friendly footing. Anti's are easy to spot and I refuse to argue and end the conversation with an "anti" by saying "nobody is asking you to carry a gun if you don't want to, but I expect you to respect my rights to do so if I wish"!

I am willing to discuss what I carry and why, but only with an interested party.

Bowesmobile

Cashier last night at Target "Oh, you're carrying a gun and I didn't even notice".
Me "That happens sometimes". " I carry it to protect myself and others around me from people who wish us ill will".
Cashier "Thats right"!

Then I walked out of the store with my goods. It doesn't always go that way. But more times than not.

Tucker6900

Re: When asked a question...

"To facilitate my natural right to self defense." is my favorite. Sometimes though, it confuses people. I said that to a gas station attendant once, and he just stared at me. Then he called the cops.

The other day I was at a local diner and the waitress asked me what I do for a living. She said she was asking because I looked important with all that stuff on my belt. I thanked he for the compliment, and told her that I do it for my protection. She smiled and said, "That's cool. Ok."

Tess

Founder's Club Member
...of why you OC, how would you respond?
I was asked by a friend of mine how often I OC and my reply was all the time. I admit that there are certain times that I will CC, there are also times I am unable to carry at all, but almost always I OC. He gave me the old "what if"" scenario of the ex LEO buddy who had explained to him that when a robber comes into a 7-11 and looks around and sees a person with a gun on their side, they are now the target. I said that may be true but isn't it true for his LEO buddy as well? I said that there is no evidence to support that claim and it is also possible that the crime may be avoided because the criminal saw an armed citizen and it wasn't part of his plan. Do any criminals take into consideration of confronting an armed citizen? I asked him "what if" the robber doesn't know how many other people in that 7-11 are OCing and he just hasn't seen them yet? I'll bet they introduce themselves to him rather quickly. My friend CC's and I asked him if it ever came about that he had to draw his weapon, how long would it take for him to lift his shirt, draw his weapon, and squeeze off one well aimed shot, if he didn't have to chamber a round first? He said about 3-5 seconds. Too long, which could be a lifetime in some cases. I believe I read somewhere that a healthy grown man can cover 21 feet in 1 to 1-1/2 seconds. Not much time to react.
I carry to protect my family and myself from those who wish to do us harm an just remember rule 1...Guns have only two enemies rust and politicians.

Of course my response depends on the circumstances, but my favorite is

"Bad guys prey on the weak and unprotected. When they see my sidearm, they know I'm neither."

And I've asked politicians in my area:

"Suppose each of us has to stop at Safeway on our way home at 10pm. There's a bad guy in the perking lot. Who's he going to target? Here's a hint ... it's not me."