Thread: Seriously??? Microstamping the firing pin??

Seriously??? Microstamping the firing pin??

source: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...t-to-relocate/

Microstamping, or ballistic imprinting, is a patented process that uses laser technology to engrave a tiny marking of the make, model and serial number on the tip of a gun’s firing pin to allow an imprint of that information on spent cartridge cases. Supporters of the technology say it will be a “game changer,” allowing authorities to quickly identify the registered guns used in crimes. Opponents claim the process is costly, unreliable and may ultimately impact the local economies that heavily depend on the gun industry, including Ilion, N.Y., where Remington Arms maintains a factory, and Hartford, Conn., where Colt's manufacturing is headquartered.

Wow...so that VERY small % of gun crimes that can be traced to a NEW registered weapon...no chance that someone with ill-intent could either:

1) file the end of the firing pin slightly
    2) pick-up spent brass
    3) replace the firing pin

The anti-2A people just don't get it, do they?
    If something is wrong for ONE person to do to another, it is still wrong if a BILLION people do it.

Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    source: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012...t-to-relocate/

Microstamping, or ballistic imprinting, is a patented process that uses laser technology to engrave a tiny marking of the make, model and serial number on the tip of a gun’s firing pin to allow an imprint of that information on spent cartridge cases. Supporters of the technology say it will be a “game changer,” allowing authorities to quickly identify the registered guns used in crimes. Opponents claim the process is costly, unreliable and may ultimately impact the local economies that heavily depend on the gun industry, including Ilion, N.Y., where Remington Arms maintains a factory, and Hartford, Conn., where Colt's manufacturing is headquartered.

Wow...so that VERY small % of gun crimes that can be traced to a NEW registered weapon...no chance that someone with ill-intent could either:

1) file the end of the firing pin slightly
    2) pick-up spent brass
    3) replace the firing pin

The anti-2A people just don't get it, do they?
    Wow. Why not just put trackers/transponders in handguns like the UK?
    Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

"I knew one thing: as soon as anyone said you didn't need a gun, you'd better take one along that worked."
    Raymond Chandler

Next they'll want gun owners to purchase permits to buy files.
    Colt Single Action Army - The original point and click interface.

These morons dont realize that most of the firearms used in violent crimes are stolen.
    So the person tha the firing pin is registered under wouldn't have a clue about the crime when the police raid their house and shoot their dog.
    "Let your gun be your constant companion during your walks" ~Thomas Jefferson

Re: Seriously??? Microstamping the firing pin??

This had been shot down in CT before and will be again, ask me how I know. NY on the other hand...who knows?

California tried this and it was proven that the patented tech did not work 100% of the time. California abandoned micro-stamping. I think CalGuns has a lengthy discussion about micro-stamping.

Is the technology better? Who knows.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by carolina guy View Post
    Supporters of the technology...
    The major supporter of this technology, who's been lobbying politicians for years in multiple states to implement it happens to be... Wait for it... The patent holder, surprise, surprise.

O2
    When seconds count, the police are mere minutes away...
    They'll never take your "hunting rifle", they'll call it a "sniper rifle" first.
    Zero failures comes at infinite cost.

Also, just fire a couple dozen rounds; even mild to moderate firing of the weapon will wear off the stamp rather quickly.

Banned
    only one company can do or has the patent for this ... he is just lobbying to make $$$

Remington has threatened to leave Ilion, taking 1100 jobs, and Colt has threatened to leave Hartford (Florida is courting them now, and Colt is opening their first plant outside CT down there soon/by now). Why gun companies stay in such hostile states, other than infrastructure, is beyond me. Some employees would move (CT to FL, yes please) and other can be replaced, it's skilled labor but not rocket science.

A file or replacement firing pin would fix the problem sure enough.

I though some state tried to micro-stamp and register ammo (brass and bullet) at one time too. Oh and they were going to make it illegal to load your own too.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Mine will read: S*&^'s Smoke Wagon Was Here.
    Last edited by Beretta92FSLady; 08-29-2012 at 08:50 PM.
    I don't mind watching the OC-Community (tea party 2.0's, who have hijacked the OC-Community) cannibalize itself. I do mind watching OC dragged through the gutter. OC is an exercise of A Right. I choose to not OC; I choose to not own firearms. I choose to leave the OC-Community to it's own self-inflicted injuries, and eventual implosion. Carry on...

Mine will read,