• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bizarre Home Invasion Defense..

WalkingWolf

wow, you've really played around with shells.

would you consider a Stevens 311 Side-by a "well built shotgun" for the purpose of your expiramental loads?

How old of a Stevens? They have been around for a long time, I think it would be OK as long as it is not a Damascus barrels. Stevens was a well built gun. Actually they are not my loads, People have been using cut cartridges all the way back to when cartridges were still paper. As well as reloading target shells with milder home loads. You should be able to hunt the internet and find some pictures with instructions for the cut cartridges, as well as maybe a video. I believe there is also one on making wax birdshot loads. As long as you are not shooting out of a full choke you should be able to get away with it, I would also be leery of a modified choke. My dad used cut cartridges when I was young in the double he kept in his truck. Even though they are target loads they are higher pressure than normal target loads because of pushing the paper or plastic casing down the barrel.

HighFlyingA380

How old of a Stevens? They have been around for a long time, I think it would be OK as long as it is not a Damascus barrels. Stevens was a well built gun. Actually they are not my loads, People have been using cut cartridges all the way back to when cartridges were still paper. As well as reloading target shells with milder home loads. You should be able to hunt the internet and find some pictures with instructions for the cut cartridges, as well as maybe a video. I believe there is also one on making wax birdshot loads. As long as you are not shooting out of a full choke you should be able to get away with it, I would also be leery of a modified choke. My dad used cut cartridges when I was young in the double he kept in his truck. Even though they are target loads they are higher pressure than normal target loads because of pushing the paper or plastic casing down the barrel.
Cut-shell video

Waxer shell video

Last edited:

REALteach4u

Indeed. I'm not sure if this is the case or not,here, but most folks in this area just keep a .410 w/ birdshot handy around the home for use against snakes. I'm inclined to think this might be the case here, due to their ages, etc. We get a LOT of Rattlesnake/Cottonmouths out here,especially this time of yr. with all the rains, etc.
Meaning, this was the weapon/load they had available at the time- primarily for snake use vs. home-defense considerations.

Also, not sure if true or just wishful-thinking, but I'd heard that a fellow, local citizen, who heard about this case, has donated a pump-action 12, and a case of shells to the familly, to rectify their HD needs.
Agreed on the side-arm, as I carry 24/7 in and around the home, myself, for the same reasoning.

What's the spread V look like on a .410 as it gains distance? Say starting at 21-25 feet and extending out to 15 yards.

Watched the cut-shell video some time back. I have to wonder if this would be considered an unlawful modification of ammunition.

Last edited:

mlr

What's the spread V look like on a .410 as it gains distance? Say starting at 21-25 feet and extending out to 15 yards.

Watched the cut-shell video some time back. I have to wonder if this would be considered an unlawful modification of ammunition.
Are there laws on the books that prevent a person from modifying ammo in any way? I have never heard of one myself so I am curious.

Michael