• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School tells child and parents to change childs name.

PistolPackingMomma

Saw that yesterday. They can't really believe they're going to win this, or that we're going to believe they're interested in what's 'best for the child'. :banghead:

ETA~

Can you imagine if his parents had named him Gunner?

Last edited:

nobama

These kind of people just make me sick!! I will give you one guess who they will vote for in November. F in bed wetters.

MamabearCali

The sign language word for go could be construed to look like a gun, the sign language letter H looks like a gun. Do we ask children with the name Winchester to be renamed to go to school. What utter nonsense. Reason #9,545 why we homeschool. If these idiots are stupid enough to do this (and there are people just like this in every school district I have ever worked with)then they are Not qualified to have any authority over my children.

Side note...there are wonderful teachers out there, but 95% of the time you don't get to choose who your child is under. I am not going to roll the dice and hope to God that my kids get the good teacher. No thanks, I'll be the teacher.

Tucker6900

The sign language word for go could be construed to look like a gun, the sign language letter H looks like a gun. Do we ask children with the name Winchester to be renamed to go to school. What utter nonsense. Reason #9,545 why we homeschool. If these idiots are stupid enough to do this (and there are people just like this in every school district I have ever worked with)then they are Not qualified to have any authority over my children.

Side note...there are wonderful teachers out there, but 95% of the time you don't get to choose who your child is under. I am not going to roll the dice and hope to God that my kids get the good teacher. No thanks, I'll be the teacher.

I have been considering that myself. But only for the reason of reinforcing their civil rights.

PistolPackingMomma

Big +1 to that!

I'm hoping this motivates these parents to realize how the school system currently cares more about money and bureaucracy, and they consider homeschooling!

CCinMaine

Jack Sheard, Grand Island Public Schools spokesperson told KOLN, "We are working with the parents to come to the best solution we can for the child."

What's best for the child is to shut up and leave the kid alone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

EMNofSeattle

This looks to me like a pretty cut and dried violation of ADA. You have a deaf kid communicating his name based on ann internationally recognized list of signs. The school is required to reasonably accommodate his disability. The parents oughta take that to district court. Just a letter from a lawyer should be good enough to convince principal dumbass to reconsider

MamabearCali

I think well educated young people with the ability to express themselves coherently and to use math are a threat to nanny govt. Holy cow they might actually decide to make something of themselves rather than nurse at the state's teat. The might not just take for granted that what is being fed to them is true...oh the horrors. Even worse they might actually believe in a deity and have some moral compunctions. Good heaven what can be done to stop the plague of people who take the education of their children most personally. (toungue in cheek)

MKEgal

PistolPackingMomma said:
Can you imagine if his parents had named him Gunner?
In ASL (American Sign Language) there's not a lot of difference.
[Granted, he uses a bastardized form called SEE (Signing Exact English), so there might be bigger differences...]

The kid won't be able to say "21", "language", or "lunch" [in its more English version] as they're all made with that scary finger-gun handshape. And how about the ABC's?