• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling down to Norfolk for a few days...

Kotyaer

Looking to bring my pistol down with me, for SD and possibly range time to burn free time in the afternoon after training for work.

Kind of nervous about leaving it in the hotel, unattended (even if they have a safe), but I can't bring it to training and leave it in the car (Federal property).

Should I just suck it up and find something else to do in the afternoons? Or just do my best to stash it in the hotel when I'm not there?

The hotel itself is in Chesapeake, VA. What's it like down there anyway? Nice/bad neighborhood?

wylde007

Chesapeake is a big city. What part are you going to be in?

Also, if you are bringing a weapon with you, consider bringing your own safe.

Kotyaer

Training is in Norfolk, 600 church street.

Hotel is the red roof inn convention center, Chesapeake.

wylde007

600 Church Street? USPS, eh?

I'd rather have the gun with me in that part of town. Where you're staying is a relatively safe area, lots of hotels and adjacent to several other hotels, the Chesapeake Convention Center and several major businesses.

Kotyaer

I wish that was an option. Though, of the training cycle its scheduled the way I think it will be, I'll have time for the range. Any good ranges in the area? Thinking of burning through another 350 or so rounds in the afternoon/evening.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Based on the reviews at their own web site http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ke_Conference_Center-Chesapeake_Virginia.html you probably will be better off getting a room somewhere else. Show the page to whoever is paying to send you to training and ask to be allowed to find alternate lodging. If they deny your request consider that the $$ spent may be more than worth doing so.

As for storing a gun (or other valuables) when traveling - having a portable safe (small gun safes are good) is OK, but there is a trick you can use to add to the security of your valuables. Bring a hardside suitcase that the gun safe can fit inside. The hardside case needs to have a means of attaching at least 2 padlocks. Put your safe inside the hardside case, attach the padlocks, and carry the thing to the front desk and ask them to hold it for pickup. Get a receipt for one locked <brand name and other discription>, to be released to <name of person you are sure will never show up to claim the suitcase> who must present government issued photo ID and DL, or to be returned to you upon return. Act all butt-hurt when you find out they failed to come and pick it up. Lather, rinse repeat until last day of stay, when you check out. Tell them you want them to hold it for you till after the last session.

(Depending on just how sleazy the place is, either $10 ot $20 tip each day may keep the desk/office folks more honest than usual.)

Paying baksheesh sucks. You used to be able to go to the bus or train station and rent a locker. Thanks to TSA Security Drama that is no longer an option.

stay safe.

Kotyaer

Based on the reviews at their own web site http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Re...ke_Conference_Center-Chesapeake_Virginia.html you probably will be better off getting a room somewhere else. Show the page to whoever is paying to send you to training and ask to be allowed to find alternate lodging. If they deny your request consider that the $$ spent may be more than worth doing so.

As for storing a gun (or other valuables) when traveling - having a portable safe (small gun safes are good) is OK, but there is a trick you can use to add to the security of your valuables. Bring a hardside suitcase that the gun safe can fit inside. The hardside case needs to have a means of attaching at least 2 padlocks. Put your safe inside the hardside case, attach the padlocks, and carry the thing to the front desk and ask them to hold it for pickup. Get a receipt for one locked <brand name and other discription>, to be released to <name of person you are sure will never show up to claim the suitcase> who must present government issued photo ID and DL, or to be returned to you upon return. Act all butt-hurt when you find out they failed to come and pick it up. Lather, rinse repeat until last day of stay, when you check out. Tell them you want them to hold it for you till after the last session.

(Depending on just how sleazy the place is, either $10 ot $20 tip each day may keep the desk/office folks more honest than usual.)

Paying baksheesh sucks. You used to be able to go to the bus or train station and rent a locker. Thanks to TSA Security Drama that is no longer an option.

stay safe.

Unfortunately, until I know whether or not I've got the job (Technically I'm an employee, but on probation, pending training and so on), I don't know whether or not I'll be reimbursed (or how much they would reimburse), since I may not be kept. Who knows?

I'm thinking about heading down early the day before training, scoping out the hotel, and if necessary, dropping the reservation and finding another.

$330(+13% tax) for 3 nights really isn't that bad, but if I'm not going to be reimbursed for it...

Already been burned like that by MD DPSCS, when I went up to Baltimore twice for overnight stays, and ended up being dropped right before the final hire.

Kind of wary now, about spending too much on a hotel.

--Edit--

Checked out some other hotels in the area... Pricing's quite a bit higher, but if I'm going to have to secure my **** there for a few days, then I'll suck it up and deal.

Oh, and yeah, Wylde, USPS. Part time work to make ends meet, and supplement current part time work.

One of these days, I'll have a full time job. Hopefully before my 10 year reunion at my college.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Who picked the Red Roof Inn Convention Center for your lodging? If your potential employer did, it cannot hurt to contact them with the info on the web site and ask them if, based on that, they will pay for something less expensive. If they did not pick it, you are free to change to aother place.

www.hotels.com
is not the only search engine for rooms. They show rooms in Chesapeake for as low as $50/night out near the airport. That's the same price you are going to pay to be even farther away. (Why you are paying approx $100/night is wierd, given the rates hotels.com shows.)

Sounds like you are paying your own way. Saving money for a safer room might prove to be an even wash when you add additional gas costs, but at least you will be alive.

We talk a lot about situational awareness here on OCDO. This is another example of being aware - read the reviews both at each hotel's web site and the ones at hotels.com to get an idea of what you may be getting.

Good luck with the job hunting.

stay safe.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Motels are almost always less expensive than hotels. Why not consider a motel? Many have in-room safes where you are the only person with the key.

Like you, I know virtually nothing about the Tidewater area (even though that area is where my father was from). I'd be like a fish out of water down there, not knowing which areas were safe and which were off limits to decent folks.

Kotyaer

Who picked the Red Roof Inn Convention Center for your lodging? If your potential employer did, it cannot hurt to contact them with the info on the web site and ask them if, based on that, they will pay for something less expensive. If they did not pick it, you are free to change to aother place.

www.hotels.com
is not the only search engine for rooms. They show rooms in Chesapeake for as low as $50/night out near the airport. That's the same price you are going to pay to be even farther away. (Why you are paying approx $100/night is wierd, given the rates hotels.com shows.)

Sounds like you are paying your own way. Saving money for a safer room might prove to be an even wash when you add additional gas costs, but at least you will be alive.

We talk a lot about situational awareness here on OCDO. This is another example of being aware - read the reviews both at each hotel's web site and the ones at hotels.com to get an idea of what you may be getting.

Good luck with the job hunting.

stay safe.

I chose Red Roof Inn out of reflex, literally every time I've gone to one, it's served its function as a bed and bathroom, and was usually not in the sketchy part of town. I was looking at the la quinta for $75/night, or Candlewood Suites for $72, even though it's far more room than I need, having the stove, microwave, and fridge would be nice to save on dinner.

Motels work, but I've never seen one that doesn't look sketchy.

Still waiting on clarification as to how much time I'm actually going to be spending in the hotel room (First hours I heard, were 7-12 for training, then free the rest of the day, for those three days.). If I'm actually going to have to spend time in the room, past sleeping, it does make a difference.

GreatDaneMan

Norfolk County Rifle Range
4321 South Military Highway
Chesapeake
(757) 488-9861

Dude, members only range. Have to have several memberships to quality, hard to get into. Everyone I talk to says they have been overbooked as far as members for ages. I have not even tried, which says alot considering they are 2-3 miles from my house.

45acpForMe

When I travel with my pistol I use a pelican case and some abloy locks. If I have to leave my gun in my hotel room it is secured inside that setup. If you want to go further you can buy a cable lock and secure it to something in the room.

I usually turn the locks facing a wall and stack some dirty laundry ontop of the case and haven't had a problem. I would guess that most hotel maids are honest and just clean the room.

I have a similar setup (safe & cable lock) for my car but if I know I will have to use it I don't carry an uber-expensive gun that day.