• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Robber shot-updated .45auto vs....airsoft?

j4l

..airsoft guns.. what kind of mental-midget tries to hold a place up with airsoft pistols? Family of the second robber threw him under the bus. Gj !

Jacksonville police: Customer shot robber 3 times; 2nd suspect arrested
1 suspect killed at scene; 2nd turned in by family member
Published On: Aug 29 2012 09:09:55 AM EDT Updated On: Aug 29 2012 12:25:23 PM EDT

Print
Email

Airsoft pistols used in Dollar General robbery

Jacksonville Sheriff's Office photo

Airsoft CO2 cartridge pistols used in Monday night's attempted robbery of the Family Dollar store.
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -

Police say a customer in the Dollar General store on Monday night fired three shots, killing one of two armed robbers. The second suspect was arrested and is facing several charges, including murder because his partner died during the commission of a felony.
Quick Clicks

JSO: Customer shoots, kills robber

The Jacksonville Sheriff's Office said the customer had a .45-caliber handgun that he was licensed to carry when the two robbers went in the store on Dunn Avenue just before 9 p.m. armed with CO2 cartridge pistols.

Detectives said Rakeem Odoms, 19, and Aundre Campbell, 22, approached the manager and asked for money.

The customer, a business owner in his 50s who police have not named, heard the commotion, approached with his gun drawn and ordered the two men to drop their guns. Police said Campbell did, but Odoms did not. He was shot three times.

Rakeem Odoms and Aundre Campbell Odoms (left in photo) was dead by the time the first police officers arrived.

Police said Campbell ran from the store and left in an SUV, but a family member called the Sheriff's Office and told officers where they could find him. By late Tuesday morning, Campbell was in custody charged with armed robbery, felony murder and burglary.

Police say robbery detectives are looking at these two suspects in connection with other recent robberies in Jacksonville.

JSO Lt. Rob Scoonover said the citizen was visibly upset when he was interviewed by homicide detectives that night.

"He was in a business, shopping, minding his own business," Scoonover said. "He put himself in harms way by getting involved. To me, that's an extraordinary person to do that."

Scoonover said the citizen's actions prevented any further violence from occurring.
(now THAT's the way we want to hear the cops looking at things- not giving him a Zimmerman-treatment)

This marked the sixth time in Jacksonville in the last year and a half an armed suspect was shot and killed during the commission of a crime.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/Jackso...zen/-/475880/16407370/-/14rojg6z/-/index.html

Last edited:

moonie

"This marked the sixth time in Jacksonville in the last year and a half an armed suspect was shot and killed during the commission of a crime."

That is saying something right there.

j4l

"This marked the sixth time in Jacksonville in the last year and a half an armed suspect was shot and killed during the commission of a crime."

That is saying something right there.

Actually, it says several things, locally. One, I think the number is a bit on the low-side- counting only the attempted store robberies around the area, in which the robber what shot and killed -and includes police-related shootings vs. armed-citizen shootings.
It doesnt factor in the attempted home-invasion shootings, or attempted car-jacking shootings, etc.

Another thing it says- and wasnt mentioned in the article, is the within a block or two of the store this incident occurred in, and across the street, is a strip-mall area in which the JSO sub-station for that patrol sector (Q) is located. At any given time of day/night, there are usually a dozen or so JSO officers at, or coming to/going from that station.
Rather brazen, or-given the mental capacity of these too boneheads- outright stupid. One place in town where police response times could easily be within a minute or two.

Third, it demonstrates a bit of a shift, locally, where most of these incidents have been taking place in the last year or so.
Jacksonville had, a few years back, taken the dreaded title of Murder Capital from places like NYC/MIAMI/DETRIOT/NEW ORLEANS, for a couple of yrs. This mostly took place just north of downtown Jax- in the Springfield area- the "Murder Mile".
Most of the projects/rent-controlled areas are out there, almost ZERO whites even pass through,much less live there,and it was the main drug-running area.
JSO finally cracked-down on things there. Now, things are mostly taking place in the Arlington (2-3 shootings there in the last week, alone) area, and this area where this incident occurred, in the Northside area-just usually in the more residential areas, vs. these 2 dolts on the main biz strip of that area, Dunn Ave.

REALteach4u

We had a standoff in my area recently where the suspect had an airsoft that looked identical to a 1911 with a suppressor mounted. Talk about a really dumb idea, never take a BB-gun to a live-ammo fight. Especially when that live-ammo fight involves trained SRT and K-9 officers.

w8asa

That customer is a true hero...

and I hope he can be at peace with what happened. God bless him for having the courage to act against these thugs, and God bless his family while they together deal with the aftermath.

People talk about spanking them on the courthouse steps. By the time these thugs were ready to pull an armed robbery, they were ALREADY criminals, and I would not be surprised to learn that they had been engaging in theft of various kinds for several years.

One fewer thug on the streets: a good start.

j4l

and I hope he can be at peace with what happened. God bless him for having the courage to act against these thugs, and God bless his family while they together deal with the aftermath.

People talk about spanking them on the courthouse steps. By the time these thugs were ready to pull an armed robbery, they were ALREADY criminals, and I would not be surprised to learn that they had been engaging in theft of various kinds for several years.

One fewer thug on the streets: a good start.

Funny you mention. Spoke the other day to a woman I know who's daughter knows these clowns from school or some such, and claims to be friend's of a friend, etc. Not from same crowd these morons ran with, but knows them from around school, area etc, and claims they really were'nt normally bad guys. Wannabes, if anything, and often ridiculed as such by their "peers". (the area they lived./went to school in, while not exactly well-off, isnt exactly "the hood" , either- most folks there who see these kind of hooligans - pants hanging off, yo yo yo this and that, and the music, etc. just roll their eyes @ them)
How true or not, I have no idea, as it's all 13-th hand info but..a lot of folks were supposedly surprised that these 2 punks turned out to be the culpirts.