• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Event: Romney, Ryan to campaign in Richmond Friday

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
If it were anywhere else do you by any stretch of the imagination think you'd be allowed to OC?

MagiK_SacK

Well if it were to fall in a location covered under preemption I personally don't see why not. During one of Obamas visits to IIRC New Hampshire a gentleman was OCing maybe 50 yards from where he was loading into his motorcade. As well another guy in Mass. (not positive on the states I'd have to look into it again to be 100%)

Just because he is "special" doesn't change our local laws... One would hope at least.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Methinks that Grapeshot is referring to the law that makes carry inside an airport terminal building a crime.

And I'll bet the sidewalks and roads will be heavily monitored - at least in the section clostest to where he will be.

What am I saying?!? Everything there is close to where he will be. Look for Secret Service and Capitol Police/State Police to be thick as thieves out there. Henrico PD may get to direct traffic out on Williamsburg Road.

stay safe.

MagiK_SacK

Not to sound rude Skid but when I read "if it were to anywhere else.." I get the impression that he is asking if it were to be anywhere other than the airport

TFred

Stop it.

Everyone knows that every major presidential candidate enjoys the protection of the Secret Service, and they DO set up a security perimeter around the candidates, no matter where they might be.

To pretend that this is Romney or Ryan specific is just downright dishonest, and you know it.

If by some disastrous turn of events, Ron Paul were to be a legitimate candidate, the exact same procedures would apply to him as well. The candidates do not have a choice in the matter.

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Ah, yes. The Cone of Security.

Anybody that wants to can OC/CC/NC outside the yellow tape/velvet rope, but expect to be probulated in order to get any closer.

stay safe.

MagiK_SacK

Stop it.

Everyone knows that every major presidential candidate enjoys the protection of the Secret Service, and they DO set up a security perimeter around the candidates, no matter where they might be.

To pretend that this is Romney or Ryan specific is just downright dishonest, and you know it.

If by some disastrous turn of events, Ron Paul were to be a legitimate candidate, the exact same procedures would apply to him as well. The candidates do not have a choice in the matter.

TFred

"stop it" I had to laugh about that.

I don't think anybody can disagree that no matter who it is a security perimeter would be in place. I was only stating that at a different location you might have a better chance of being closer to the event than with it being at the airport terminal.

Thundar

Stop it.

TFred

cite?

What, do the secret service kidnap the candidates?

Ron Paul has in the past publically refused secret service protection.

The "disasterous turn of events" that would turn return our Republic to Ron Paul's Limited government is far less harmful than eternal war, endless debt and the boot of totaltarianism that obOMNEY promises.

Peace, Gold & Liberty,
Thundar

Last edited:

TFred

cite?

History.

What, do the secret service kidnap the candidates?

In essence, yes they do.

Ron Paul has in the past publically refused secret service protection.

Another reason he will never be a major political candidate.

The "disasterous turn of events" that would turn return our Republic to Ron Paul's Limited government is far less harmful than eternal war, endless debt and the boot of totaltarianism that obOMNEY promises.

Do you have some sort of a macro for these things? "Cntrl-R" to regurgitate the same old drivel? ;) It would save you a lot of typing time... maybe you should look into it. There are several good keyboard shortcut applications you can try.

Peace, Gold & Liberty,
Thundar
See the green text. :)

TFred

TFred

I was only stating that at a different location you might have a better chance of being closer to the event than with it being at the airport terminal.
Probably true, the airport does establish a security perimeter that is probably larger than what the Secret Service would. But I'm sure the Secret Service would not rely on the airport's security for any portion of their perimeter either.

TFred

nuc65

Activist Member
Well, I think you can stand outside in the entryto the airport CC'ng all you want, just can't go into the building. Unless you are flying and going to check the weapon onto your flight.

Sangre

Well, I think you can stand outside in the entryto the airport CC'ng all you want, just can't go into the building. Unless you are flying and going to check the weapon onto your flight.

I was under the impression you could carry in the non-secured area of the airport, but I would most definitely verify that before doing so.

Marco

I was under the impression you could carry in the non-secured area of the airport, but I would most definitely verify that before doing so.

http://leg1.state.va.us/000/cod/18.2-287.01.HTM

Air Carrier Airports

Virginia has 72 airports. Only 9 of these 72 airports are classified as "air carrier airports" and are thus affected by the gun ban in §18.2-287.01.

An email from the Office of the Governor, dated June 3, 2004, identified the following as the "air carrier airports" in Virginia:

Reagan National Arlington, VA
Charlottesville Regional Charlottesville, VA
Dulles International Chantilly, VA
Lynchburg Municipal Lynchburg, VA
Newport News . Williamsburg Regional Newport News, VA
Norfolk International Norfolk, VA
Richmond International Richmond, VA
Roanoke Regional Roanoke, VA
Shenandoah Valley Regional Staunton, VA

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior