• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry in Harkins Theater, August 29, 2012

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Today I open carried my Glock 17 into the Harkins Theater in Yuma Arizona to watch the 1:40 pm showing of 2016.

Nothing remarkable happened. Arizona is a constitutional carry state, and you do not need a permit for open or concealed carry.

However, when the temperature is 104 in the shade, and there is little shade to be had, open carry is quite a bit more comfortable than concealed carry.

I did not see any signs banning guns.

I regularly carry openly with the primary purpose of exercising my Constitutional rights, and the secondary purpose of defense of self and others.

No one blinked an eye. I did not see anyone give me a concerted stare or a cautious glance.

The theater was about a quarter full, not bad for a show mid day in the middle of the week. It seemed a typical crowd for the time. An Asian lady sat to my right, a man in a wheelchair to my left. Most of the crowd appeared to be mixed white/Hispanic, if such designation means much of anything anymore. In todays multiracial society, who cares, and what does it matter?

While no one was scared of my Glock, the movie was very scary.

Dinesh D’Sousa approached his theme in a scholarly yet visually stunning way. He used Barrack Obama’s own words and the words of mentors and relatives to help us understand the President’s past, his upbringing, and his world view. He showed special insight because his own history has much in common with President Obama's.

His analysis was devastating to the agenda being instituted by this administration. If the voting population of the United States saw this film, I doubt that Barrack Obama would carry a single state’s electoral votes.

Dean Weingarten

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Thanks for passing on the info. I hope other Movie theaters follow this example of leaving honest citizens alone, and with their right to self defense untouched.:thumbup:

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

sharkey

Try the same thing during a Michael Moore showing.

I bet you get a different reaction.

EnufIs2Much

Harkins @ AZ Mills does sort of ban guns . . .

Today I open carried my Glock 17 into the Harkins Theater in Yuma Arizona to watch the 1:40 pm showing of 2016.
Dean Weingarten

Well, 2016 is a pile of horsedung and conspiracy theorist bullpuckey, but I do admire and appreciate all who exercise their Constitutional Rights. I'm pleased too to learn of any business that does not insult the law abiding members of our society with bans based upon foolish fears.

I'm in the Tempe, AZ area and used to frequent the Harkins at Arizona Mills Mall. Recently the mall added "NO GUNS" signs. As the only way to get into the theater is to use a mall entrance, that Harkins is no longer freindly to me as a gun owner. I have stopped shopping there entirely. Bummer really, that place improved greatly in recent years.

I have been in other Harkins around the area, have never seen a "NO GUNS" or "NO WEAPONS" sign on any with their own outside entrances.

However, I went to the AMC 24 in Awautukee today and they did have those signs. As the ticket booths are free standing little air conditioned buildings out on a public patio, you do not see the signs until you reach the entry doors. And then the signs are small and as near to ground level as they can get. It would be easy to not notice them even if you are not actively looking for them.