• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Schuylkill Haven (Sch County) OC

Drazhar Rakarth

Hello,
I was born and raised in PA and am looking forward to coming home. I was in WA State and moved to California (Don't ask) and am so glad to come home to a place I can OC.

After making a few inquiries I was given the contact information to Schuylkill Haven Borough Police Chief Walcott. He called me after I emailed to speak to him about OC and that I was hoping for no confrontations while I am home. He was courteous, let me know the town is trained on OC, and even had a few OC stops. He did mention that he might stop and ID. We had an intelligent conversation. He gave the usual LEO path of they don't know me, safety for his family and I understand his side. I informed him with notification and the like there should be no issues.

All in all I think this could be a good visit and will post here upon my return if things went good or bad. Looking forward to being HOME! My CPL (WA State) doesn't allow me to CC or carry near the school so I'll be mindful. I wish I got my Arizona now but alas it's too late a week before my trip. I'm flying into Philly then Wilkes-Barre and flying out (on 9/11) with my firearm. This trip should tell me a lot about how Schuylkill County handles things.

Drazhar

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Hope your visit goes well! Just out of curiosity, why did you feel the need to contact law enforcement about an activity that is clearly legal? You have no need for the permission nor do you need to inform them of your plans. Just carry!

david.ross

Hope your visit goes well! Just out of curiosity, why did you feel the need to contact law enforcement about an activity that is clearly legal? You have no need for the permission nor do you need to inform them of your plans. Just carry!
I don't believe he was asking permission, but asking if the department was informed about Open Carry. OC is in the state mandated MPOETC training book, so the only ones who don't know about OC yet are the new cops who haven't yet completed the training.In regards to ID, PA doesn't have any Stop and ID laws. This has been made very clear to the Pittsburgh police and others. Though I do on occasion provide ID, it's pretty obvious they're going to get my name from Walmart when I go to make a purchase anyhow.