• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A thought that occured to me

Mixael

I have been sitting here the last (however long it's since I found opencarry.org), feeling sorry for myself that it's gonna be a few more weeks until I can take my class and turn in my app for a license. I've reading, and re-reading in a few cases, all the tales of "I OC'd today, nothing happened" and "this guy OC'd and got a LEO mad at him", all the while thinking "what happens when I get my license? Will I have these same problems?" Then, today, a thought popped into my head that Caused me to literally stop and raise my eyebrows (making me glad I was inside my house at the time)....

Since I have to wait until later in September before I take the class, then the "90 days" waiting for them to okay it and send it to me, I'm going to be well past the OC date of Nov 1. So, while I sit here anticipating the day I can finally carry legally, I will get to see how the local LEO deals with it, and be better prepared for my time :) While I don't get to OC the day it goes active (if that's the right way to say it), it is hopeful that by the time I do, you good people that go before me will have educated the police for me, preventing me from having any trouble!

So, while I still sit here bemoaning the fact that I can't carry quite yet, I get to glory in the fact that others will go before me and pave the way for me to exercise my 2A rights. More power to ya, and may you have a trouble free time of OC here in good old OK!

-Michael

okiephlyer

I have been CC almost since the beginning, and been looking forward to OC from day 1. Then I found out my job will have me out of state for the big day. As far as a learning curve and educating LE and the general population, that will be an ongoing process that will last for months and years. So don't be surprised if there are still people being educated when you get to join the OC crowd. Still, keep reading and studying and be ready when it happens.
Welcome to the forum.

Mixael

Oh, I know that the learning curve will still be there. For some reason, I doubt if it will EVER actually be 100%. After all, cops retire, new ones are hired, they move around...all reasons to have a new one come around that hasn't been trained properly. (Or, just didn't quite get it when they were in training.) What I wrote was meant more in humor than anything else, though. :D

I'm sorry that you have waited so long to OC, only to be gone on Day One. That would suck more than having to wait for my class! (<----- Can I say that here?)

At any rate, I'm looking forward to the day that I can carry, concealed OR open, and not that worried about LEO as much. Have a great day, and be careful over the Labor Day Weekend.

-Michael

rushcreek2

I would just like to tip my hat - so to speak- to all of the Oklahoma open carry folks who may very well have trumped many a "green" OC state with their new handgun law.

Because you have achieved CLEAR codification of your OC RIGHT- you should not have to tolerate the usual babble like " It may be legal - but it's not a good idea". Fortunately - It is not only "legal" - it is codified, PREEMPTED, and It IS THE LAW.

Good job Okie's !

Been urging my son-in-law in Choctaw to apply for that OK HANDGUN permit.

Last edited:

Mixael

I would just like to tip my hat - so to speak- to all of the Oklahoma open carry folks who may very well have trumped many a "green" OC state with their new handgun law.

Because you have achieved CLEAR codification of your OC RIGHT- you should not have to tolerate the usual babble like " It may be legal - but it's not a good idea". Fortunately - It is not only "legal" - it is codified, PREEMPTED, and It IS THE LAW.

Good job Okie's !

Been urging my son-in-law in Choctaw to apply for that OK HANDGUN permit.

While the codification SHOULD make it a clear-cut thing, I have my doubts about some of our local jurisdictions. (By local, I mean around here where I live. Not gonna say anything about places that I don't go to, as I have no experience there.) I guess we'll see how it goes Nov 1.

And why doesn't your son-in-law want to apply for the license? If it's the total cost, I can understand. That's why I didn't jump into a class and get my paperwork in the day I got the pistol...had to wait for some money to pay for the class! (Nice thing is that I get paid again the day of my class, so I can get the paperwork turned in the day after class :) )

-Michael

rushcreek2

My son-in-law moved from Arlington, Texas to Choctaw, OK over a year ago. He has been exposed to my 24/7 handgun carry for the last 6 years. Finally got him thinking about applying for the OK license a couple of months back. I guess it's a matter of priorities more than anything else. He fishes at the river near Choctaw almost every day. Once he mentioned an encounter with some "wolves" (or feral dogs ??) down at the river, and how he needed at least a shotgun - (Do you think.....?)

Priorities - I guess that is why only somewhere around 2-3 percent of the eligible population obtain HG permits.

Out of three children - I've only succeeded in convincing one daughter to get a Colorado CHP.

Maybe I can offer some assurance concerning acceptance of the November 1 advent of legal OC in Oklahoma.

I have some roots in Oklahoma City, and Tulsa where my Dad was born. Spent alot of time around Okie's. Oklahoman's are the salt of the earth in my book. My paternal Grandmother migrated from Missouri to Oklahoma around 1900 in a covered wagon, and I still play "Canasta" - once the # 1 pastime in Oklahoma.

So I know Okie's are pretty down to earth "cool" folks- including MOST of the LEO's in that state.

I just don't see a lot of problems ahead - IF, IF, IF.....those CHOOSING to OC do so with some regard for the specific circumstances, and present themselves as respectful, friendly, everyday types.

I have a fair amount of experience open carrying in Colorado - even some OC experience in Texas within the parameters of Texas law. I personnaly prefer IWB holsters which afford close-in security, and comfort, and also exhibit a lower profile more that likely to go unnoticed by most everyday folks- but will likely still be spotted by the average BG's scoping out their next victim.

I figure that most people generally "size up" open carriers as someone who probably "should be" carrying a holstered handgun, is "OK" carrying one, or simply doesn't make them "uncomfortable" by the fact that they are armed- rather than...... LOOK at that "creepy dude" wearing that handgun !!!

To the extent that we can ease the minds of the general population - we should have no problems.

Most importantly - it isn't the sight of a holstered handgun that alarms some people. It is the total "picture" presented - how the OC'er presents themselves in total - coincidental to the holstered handgun is what really matters.

Last edited:

Mixael

My son-in-law moved from Arlington, Texas to Choctaw, OK over a year ago. He has been exposed to my 24/7 handgun carry for the last 6 years. Finally got him thinking about applying for the OK license a couple of months back. I guess it's a matter of priorities more than anything else. He fishes at the river near Choctaw almost every day. Once he mentioned an encounter with some "wolves" (or feral dogs ??) down at the river, and how he needed at least a shotgun - (Do you think.....?)
There have been a couple of news items about wolves in the last few months. If I were in his place, I would make sure to have SOMETHING with me for just that reason.

Priorities - I guess that is why only somewhere around 2-3 percent of the eligible population obtain HG permits.
Really? The number is THAT low? Makes me wonder why (this summer at least) there was such a backlog of processing the apps. I can attest to the fact that only a couple of years ago it would have been a hard financial decision between the fees and taking care of the family. (It was just a matter of timing recently. As it all came together literally at the last minute, I just hadn't planned on it, and the purchase of the pistol kinda took my free cash for the month.) But, really, only 2-3% go for it? Is that a nationwide number, or Oklahoma specific?

Out of three children - I've only succeeded in convincing one daughter to get a Colorado CHP.

Maybe I can offer some assurance concerning acceptance of the November 1 advent of legal OC in Oklahoma.

I have some roots in Oklahoma City, and Tulsa where my Dad was born. Spent alot of time around Okie's. Oklahoman's are the salt of the earth in my book. My paternal Grandmother migrated from Missouri to Oklahoma around 1900 in a covered wagon, and I still play "Canasta" - once the # 1 pastime in Oklahoma.

So I know Okie's are pretty down to earth "cool" folks- including MOST of the LEO's in that state.

I just don't see a lot of problems ahead - IF, IF, IF.....those CHOOSING to OC do so with some regard for the specific circumstances, and present themselves as respectful, friendly, everyday types.

I have a fair amount of experience open carrying in Colorado - even some OC experience in Texas within the parameters of Texas law. I personnaly prefer IWB holsters which afford close-in security, and comfort, and also exhibit a lower profile more that likely to go unnoticed by most everyday folks- but will likely still be spotted by the average BG's scoping out their next victim.

I figure that most people generally "size up" open carriers as someone who probably "should be" carrying a holstered handgun, is "OK" carrying one, or simply doesn't make them "uncomfortable" by the fact that they are armed- rather than...... LOOK at that "creepy dude" wearing that handgun !!!

To the extent that we can ease the minds of the general population - we should have no problems.

Most importantly - it isn't the sight of a holstered handgun that alarms some people. It is the total "picture" presented - how the OC'er presents themselves in total - coincidental to the holstered handgun is what really matters.

Regarding the rest, I guess my biggest concern is pretty much summed up by what you wrote...how the OCer is gonna act/present themselves. For the most part, I believe that the ones that carry are going to kinda blend into the background, and not largely noticed in general. BUT, I'm sure there are gonna be some of those "in your face" types that want to show off. You know, the guys that tend to give any endeavor a bad name.

All in all, though, it's not something that keeps me awake at night. It's one of those things that pops into my head when there is nothing else going on. And it isn't even a worry...more like "I wonder if there will be problems, or things will be smooth? Well, we'll see in a short time." and then on to other things.

-Michael

rushcreek2

I only speculate with that 2-3 percent quantity.

It's a very subjective exercise to try to factor for those who are ineligible for a handgun permit, or are "anti" and wouldn't be caught dead carrying a gun for self defense, and the desparity in the distribution of permits by ethnicity, and gender. So I think if any state ever exceeds more than 5 percent of persons eligible - that will be an achievement.

People just aren't all wired alike. When I check out a pre-owned vehicle the first thing on my checklist is the tires. A lot of folks will buy a vehicle without even looking at the tires.

I have a neighbor whose now deceased husband was robbed while leaving his business with the day's receipts 4 times over the years. He never purchased a handgun. As hard as it is for me to fathom - many people would just as soon be victims of violent crimes as assume the responsibility of carrying a handgun.

An actual statement made on the journal record by a delegate to the 1845 Texas Constitutional Convention went something to the effect that - " In a civilized society, it should not be necessary to go armed against one's fellow citizens."

Well........? The only problem I find with that premise is that this thing we continue to call "civilized society" in these United States isn't yet "civilized" - and probably never will be, and a predatory criminal is not technically a "CITIZEN" by definition since they have rejected the societal order.

hrdware

At last count, there were between 120K and 130K active permits in OK. Divide that by the population and you get around 2-3%