Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Captcha and search

  1. #1
    Regular Member sharkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,066

    Captcha and search

    Can you turn off Captcha for logged in users. I had to go through more than 5 of those things to do a simple search. Maybe it's been addressed but honestly I didn't feel like straining my mind trying to figure out what the blurry or cut off word was to do another search.

    P.S. In case you missed it I hate Captcha.

    Here's an actual example from this site. Anyone who can tell me what it says gets 100 brownie points.

    Attachment 9170

  2. #2
    Regular Member pfries's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    182
    barkedi

    I hate it to but I do understand it, I tend to hit the refresh button untill one of them jumps out at me as readable...

  3. #3
    Campaign Veteran ATM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    365
    Agreed. I quit using the search function on this site because Captcha is not worth trying to decipher.

    I would have done a search to see if this topic had been brought up before, but... you know...

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member thebigsd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Quarryville, PA
    Posts
    3,543

    Captcha and search

    Barkedi? I don't know maybe it says darkjedi

    I use tapatalk on my phone and face no such annoying images when I use the search function. Don't know if it's an option for you, but I have found that I like posting from my phone more than from my computer.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

  5. #5
    Regular Member sharkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,066
    Barkedi was easy. There is a second word though. What is that one?

    DarkJedi LOL!

    As far as the cell idea, my screen is too small. It has a slide out keypad which is nice but also a touchscreen which I hate. I refuse to get a newer phone which is weird because I'm super techy on everything except cellphones.

    I miss being able to dial a number tactically (can't feel buttons on glass) and yes I know I could use voice dial but ugggggh.

    Current phone is a LG

    Attachment 9171

    My all time favorite cellphone was like the one below, all silver with a monochrome display. It did have internet though, that's always been a requirement.

    Attachment 9172
    Last edited by sharkey; 08-31-2012 at 01:10 AM.

  6. #6

  7. #7
    Regular Member rscottie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ashland, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    613

    Danged if you do, danged if you don't

    If you try and use the search feature and cannot read the squigglys, you end up posting a question and everyone tells you that you should have searched first as it has been covered.

    Did I mention that I too hate the Captcha thingy?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    Barkedi was easy. There is a second word though. What is that one?
    The second word... is unimportant. It's a "recaptcha". One of the words is generated by the software to see if you're a human. The second is a scan from a book that is being converted to text. Those scans are distributed so that people can solve them.

    Either way, I think turning off the captcha for logged in users would be a great idea, since the captcha makes the search box on the top right useless.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

  9. #9
    Regular Member sharkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,066
    Quote Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
    The second word... is unimportant. It's a "recaptcha". One of the words is generated by the software to see if you're a human. The second is a scan from a book that is being converted to text. Those scans are distributed so that people can solve them.

    Either way, I think turning off the captcha for logged in users would be a great idea, since the captcha makes the search box on the top right useless.
    I think it's pretty important since I get "The string you entered for the image verification did not match what was displayed." if I don't enter the cut-off word.

    And to add insult to injury I had to refresh multiple times to get a cut-off word to test this. All the first ones were crystal clear.

    ETA. I read about re-captcha and decided to test again. Now I've screwed google and OCR by intentionally falsifying an answer. I left the cut-off one blank the first time (or maybe I just messed up the real challenge word) but this time just entered the wrong word.

    Now google will think march is maroh since it worked.

    You were right.

    Attachment 9202
    Last edited by sharkey; 09-08-2012 at 02:47 AM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member sharkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,066
    I used captcha as my search term when I did my test and look what I found!

    I was wondering why there was captcha on search. And now I know why registered users have to put up with it.

    The irony of course is captcha caused me to create an unnecessary thread since it was such a pain to search.


    Quote Originally Posted by John Pierce View Post
    I added that because we were having problems with registered users (possibly with a grudge against the forum) doing repeated searches to slow down / bring down the database.


    John

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    2,546
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkey View Post
    I think it's pretty important since I get "The string you entered for the image verification did not match what was displayed." if I don't enter the cut-off word.

    And to add insult to injury I had to refresh multiple times to get a cut-off word to test this. All the first ones were crystal clear.

    ETA. I read about re-captcha and decided to test again. Now I've screwed google and OCR by intentionally falsifying an answer. I left the cut-off one blank the first time (or maybe I just messed up the real challenge word) but this time just entered the wrong word.

    Now google will think march is maroh since it worked.

    You were right.

    Attachment 9202


    Don't worry, you won't screw it up too badly. If I were designing that algorithm it would use statistics to determine the correct answer, and take into account accents (for those who bother) on letters versus just the plain letter.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •