• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Captcha and search

sharkey

Can you turn off Captcha for logged in users. I had to go through more than 5 of those things to do a simple search. Maybe it's been addressed but honestly I didn't feel like straining my mind trying to figure out what the blurry or cut off word was to do another search.

P.S. In case you missed it I hate Captcha. :mad:

Here's an actual example from this site. Anyone who can tell me what it says gets 100 brownie points.

View attachment 9170

pfries

barkedi

I hate it to but I do understand it, I tend to hit the refresh button untill one of them jumps out at me as readable...

ATM

Campaign Veteran
Agreed. I quit using the search function on this site because Captcha is not worth trying to decipher.

I would have done a search to see if this topic had been brought up before, but... you know... :lol:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Barkedi? I don't know maybe it says darkjedi :D

I use tapatalk on my phone and face no such annoying images when I use the search function. Don't know if it's an option for you, but I have found that I like posting from my phone more than from my computer.

sharkey

Barkedi was easy. There is a second word though. What is that one?

DarkJedi LOL!

As far as the cell idea, my screen is too small. It has a slide out keypad which is nice but also a touchscreen which I hate. I refuse to get a newer phone which is weird because I'm super techy on everything except cellphones.

I miss being able to dial a number tactically (can't feel buttons on glass) and yes I know I could use voice dial but ugggggh.

Current phone is a LG

View attachment 9171

My all time favorite cellphone was like the one below, all silver with a monochrome display. It did have internet though, that's always been a requirement.

View attachment 9172

Last edited:

carsontech

Activist Member
You can use search engines to search websites. I use Google's "site:" operator to search for keywords within certain websites:

https://support.google.com/websearch/bin/answer.py?hl=en&p=adv_operators&answer=136861

Here are some examples of searching for keywords within forum.opencarry.org using Google's "site:" operator:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Aforum.opencarry.org+Captcha+and+search

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Aforum.opencarry.org+%22Captcha+and+search%22

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=site%3Aforum.opencarry.org+open+carry+an+ar-15

Last edited:

rscottie

Danged if you do, danged if you don't

If you try and use the search feature and cannot read the squigglys, you end up posting a question and everyone tells you that you should have searched first as it has been covered.

Did I mention that I too hate the Captcha thingy?

Tawnos

Barkedi was easy. There is a second word though. What is that one?
The second word... is unimportant. It's a "recaptcha". One of the words is generated by the software to see if you're a human. The second is a scan from a book that is being converted to text. Those scans are distributed so that people can solve them.

Either way, I think turning off the captcha for logged in users would be a great idea, since the captcha makes the search box on the top right useless.

sharkey

The second word... is unimportant. It's a "recaptcha". One of the words is generated by the software to see if you're a human. The second is a scan from a book that is being converted to text. Those scans are distributed so that people can solve them.

Either way, I think turning off the captcha for logged in users would be a great idea, since the captcha makes the search box on the top right useless.

I think it's pretty important since I get "The string you entered for the image verification did not match what was displayed." if I don't enter the cut-off word.

And to add insult to injury I had to refresh multiple times to get a cut-off word to test this. All the first ones were crystal clear. :banghead:

ETA. I read about re-captcha and decided to test again. Now I've screwed google and OCR by intentionally falsifying an answer. I left the cut-off one blank the first time (or maybe I just messed up the real challenge word) but this time just entered the wrong word.

Now google will think march is maroh since it worked.

You were right.

View attachment 9202

Last edited:

sharkey

I used captcha as my search term when I did my test and look what I found!

I was wondering why there was captcha on search. And now I know why registered users have to put up with it.

The irony of course is captcha caused me to create an unnecessary thread since it was such a pain to search.

I added that because we were having problems with registered users (possibly with a grudge against the forum) doing repeated searches to slow down / bring down the database.

John

Tawnos

I think it's pretty important since I get "The string you entered for the image verification did not match what was displayed." if I don't enter the cut-off word.

And to add insult to injury I had to refresh multiple times to get a cut-off word to test this. All the first ones were crystal clear. :banghead:

ETA. I read about re-captcha and decided to test again. Now I've screwed google and OCR by intentionally falsifying an answer. I left the cut-off one blank the first time (or maybe I just messed up the real challenge word) but this time just entered the wrong word.

Now google will think march is maroh since it worked.

You were right.

View attachment 9202

:)

Don't worry, you won't screw it up too badly. If I were designing that algorithm it would use statistics to determine the correct answer, and take into account accents (for those who bother) on letters versus just the plain letter.