Thread: The CDC says: access to guns is a cause of violence in children

The CDC says: access to guns is a cause of violence in children

Simple access.

The CDC says:
    Research has shown that certain factors make children and adolescents more susceptible to developing violent behavior. These factors include an individual’s characteristics or behaviors, including a history of aggression; beliefs that support the use of violence; social or cognitive problems; and the use of alcohol or drugs.
    They also include family and community circumstances such as a parent’s use of alcohol or drugs; a lack of parental supervision or discipline; spousal abuse or child abuse; poor emotional attachment between parent and child; access to firearms; and divorce, relocation, or other family disruption.
    How nice that the scientists think that simply having access to cars is one of the causes of drunk driving.
    Er, um, access to guns is a cause of violence.
    And that access is similar to 'cognitive problems', abuse of alcohol & other drugs, child abuse...

http://www.cdc.gov/violencepreventio...chapter1-a.pdf
    It's either page 22 or 5... not sure how their numbering system works.

Contributing factor, sure, esp. when the kid uses a gun to commit mass murder.
    But a cause???
    Last edited by MKEgal; 08-31-2012 at 02:46 PM.

Banned
    Isn't the CDC the Center for Disease Control ???

Should change their name to CGC ... ya know?

And guess what? It would not matter anyway .... even if you consider their bogus conclusions to be true

That report is basically saying that if a child is human, they are susceptible to violent behavior. The factors they mentioned so are broad that they pretty much apply to every single child in America.

Access to guns by children was very common in the 1950's and 1960's, it was common to bring guns to school so one would be able to shoot after school on the way home or on the school range after school. Anyone remember 'rod and gun' clubs in schools? There were accounts of children bringing their rifles onto city buses in New York City so they could travel to gun ranges and shoot after school.

What we didn't have in the 1950's and 1960's were violent video games, demoralizing music, videos and movies which glorify violence. People respected each other and arguments were settled with fist fights ,not gun fights. There were no drive by shootings, no coke, crack or meth. But there were a lot of guns available to children.

The CDC "Confused Dumb Commission" has forgotten the past and invented the future.
    I am not a lawyer, I study the history of gun control laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    That report is basically saying that if a child is human, they are susceptible to violent behavior. The factors they mentioned so are broad that they pretty much apply to every single child in America.
    I believe that was their intent.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest View Post
    SNIP

What we didn't have in the 1950's and 1960's were violent video games, demoralizing music, videos and movies which glorify violence.

SNIP
    These are not problems, but are symptoms. What we did not have was the "Great Society". Our problems with children come from a systematic reduction of parental responsibility.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    They are ignoring their own statistics. I wrote an essay a few years ago, most my info came from CDC, it proved guns aren't the problem and that children are much more likely (really high percentage) to die by the abuse or neglect of their own parents.

And according to their own statistics, the highest death by gun was 16-18 year olds, I don't count kids over 18 as kids. The research shows this has more to do with bad association than inanimate objects.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)