• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hog Island WMA/Surry Powerplant OC ;)

627PCFan

Just kidding ;) I was lucky enough to get drawn for a muzzleloader/shotgun deer hunt at Hog Island WMA on the protected tract 10-22/24th. While I know I cant OC there, I need some locals help for suggestions on a close campground or hotel. Im planning on hunting all 3 days but dont know anything about the local area. Im hoping a few of you on here could point me in the right direction. And to keep it OC related, Ill be carrying off WMA/PP Property :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Just kidding ;) I was lucky enough to get drawn for a muzzleloader/shotgun deer hunt at Hog Island WMA on the protected tract 10-22/24th. While I know I cant OC there, I need some locals help for suggestions on a close campground or hotel. Im planning on hunting all 3 days but dont know anything about the local area. Im hoping a few of you on here could point me in the right direction. And to keep it OC related, Ill be carrying off WMA/PP Property :)

It's OC enough to suit me!:lol:

Good luck!

For those that wonder how it's OC, Kirby Burch who claims to have started VCDL and I think showed Al Gore how to invent the internet, Killed a wild Boar there while OC'ing with a CHP.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...cv4yAAAAIBAJ&sjid=vwcGAAAAIBAJ&pg=5215,492793

mobeewan

Chippokes Plantation State Park has a campground and is just down the road a little west off RT 10 and I think about a mile up river from Hog Island. Chippokes in the past has had an annual deer hunt but I think that might also be done by lottery.

http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/chi.shtml

Just beware on your trip down. If you take I-95 to I-295 to Rt 10 watch your speed when you get to Hopewell. Although the city has it's own police dept, the Sheriff has taken it upon himself to set up revenue generation check points (speed traps) on the 2 miles of I-295passing through Hopewell. One full time deputy and several part time deputies patrol I-295 only.

If you take I-95 to I-295 to I-64 to Williamsburg and use the Jamestown Ferry to cross to Surry, whatever you do don't point your finger at the Jamestown Fairy. He will get you arrested for brandishing.

Last edited:

papa bear

i was wondering about the card that VCDL puts out, that carry (self defense?)is not allowed on Hog Island.

any thoughts?

627PCFan

On the inland tract, Im sure its not an issue, but on the River tract which you have to go through Powerplant property to get to, Im sure its a bigger issue. DHS tends keep the hand strong and ask questions later.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
On the inland tract, Im sure its not an issue, but on the River tract which you have to go through Powerplant property to get to, Im sure its a bigger issue. DHS tends keep the hand strong and ask questions later.

Speaking from experience, unless there's some special situation where DHS would be involved with the Surry Nuclear Plant, DHS would not be an issue to overcome. Any issues would be purely with the plant's own private para-military police force.