• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC picnic at Memorial Park -- Otsego 10/6

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdbpratt

The fact that your posts about LGOC were deleted was kinda a hint about being off topic.

I thought it might have pertained something to do with YouTube®, either way, how would you people have treated my friends and I if we were to have went to this little event? Both with CPL and open carrying rifles? Doesn't seem like y'all would have been too friendly...

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
I thought it might have pertained something to do with YouTube®, either way, how would you people have treated my friends and I if we were to have went to this little event? Both with CPL and open carrying rifles? Doesn't seem like y'all would have been too friendly...

Nope, I would have left immediately. I have no interest in becoming part of someone's LEO baiting fantasy.

:idea:You could always start your own forum for OCing long arms.... its pretty simple. Go for it!

Raggs

Assumptions about "law enforcement officer baiting fantasy", wow, you come off quite rude and somewhat pathetic. That is fine though, you can make all the assumptions you'd like. Thank you though, because next time one of these events is held in my proximity I will be attending with one of the rifles I own; perhaps one that looks to be fully automatic as well. Not in hopes of attracting police officers, but in hopes of detouring people with attitudes as your own. Anymore assumptions you would like to make about people who open carry rifles, mister moderator?

The baiting comment i suspect has more to do with the video you posted than anything else. just an opinion though.

rdbpratt

The baiting comment i suspect has more to do with the video you posted than anything else. just an opinion though.

Could be, although those were not my intentions. I just had a camera rolling the whole walk just in case of a Terry stop, the previous day a concerned citizen/uneducated citizen was following me in his vehicle just before I finished my walk. Therefore I pretty much knew the police were going to actually respond in a timely fashion on my next walk, so of coarse I strapped the camera on to hold everyone accountable for their actions. Sure glad I did too, I didn't realize how uneducated the people who swore into an oath actually were! I have a family member that work as a detective in Allegan county, lets just say he was shocked at how the police officers handled that encounter. Not to mention, do the dispatchers not ask the ignorant 911 callers any questions at all?

Raggs

Could be, although those were not my intentions. I just had a camera rolling the whole walk just in case of a Terry stop, the previous day a concerned citizen/uneducated citizen was following me in his vehicle just before I finished my walk. Therefore I pretty much knew the police were going to actually respond in a timely fashion on my next walk, so of coarse I strapped the camera on to hold everyone accountable for their actions. Sure glad I did too, I didn't realize how uneducated the people who swore into an oath actually were! I have a family member that work as a detective in Allegan county, lets just say he was shocked at how the police officers handled that encounter. Not to mention, do the dispatchers not ask the ignorant 911 callers any questions at all?

Ok then, I would suggest you read Wash Rinse Repeat This will give you maybe some ideas about how to interact with a Police Officer on the occasion of your next LEO encounter.

Get2DahChopper

As to 911 dispatchers - many do not ask questions, as soon as they hear gun, it's all units respond code 3!

Some cities in metro detroit are slowly changing. They are re-training dispatchers to ask simple questions like: what is the person doing? Is the gun in a holster or slung? Is the person acting strangely or threatening anyone? This is basic stuff, but many PD's still need to get their dispatchers up to speed on open carry. Warren is a prime example - had the dispatcher asked simply questions, the whole Jeff Hamman farce could been avoided. Instead they wasted tens of thousands of dollars of mine & others taxpayers dollars in federal court. All over a guy taking a walk and doing so legally! :banghead:

rdbpratt

Ok then, I would suggest you read Wash Rinse Repeat This will give you maybe some ideas about how to interact with a Police Officer on the occasion of your next LEO encounter.

Thank you, that is much appreciated, I love to read and gain more knowledge. Knowledge is very lightweight and everyone can carry a lot of it.
You sir, have a wonderful evening and keep safe.

TheQ

Michigan Open Carry advocates for the lawful open carry of a holstered handgun at our events. Long Guns are beyond our focus.

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Must have overlooked that absurd rule, a firearm is a firearm. Pretty worthless forum now that I have read all the rules and restrictions.

Have a good day.
While I agree, you have the right to carry a long arm, if you wish. OCDO was started for the express purpose of supporting handgun open carry. For whatever reason, LGOC is seen by many (mostly the anti-gun community) as going overboard. Handgun OC on the other hand, is not as much "in your face" as LGOC is. My personal observation is that, other than in group mode, about 95% of the general population doesn't even notice an OCed handgun. And around here, even when it is, it's getting less and less negative reaction.

Unfortunately, certain LGOC incidents have started a lawsuit between CADL (Capitol Area District Library) and MOC (Michigan Open Carry), and some other interested parties. As a consequence, LGOC is in less favor with quite a few people. You are of course, free to carry however you wish. But it would be better if you refrained from LGOC for now. I think you'll find LEO interaction more acceptable as well.

(Someone notify me if I am mistaken in any of my comments above. Thank you.)

Raggs

While I agree, you have the right to carry a long arm, if you wish. OCDO was started for the express purpose of supporting handgun open carry. For whatever reason, LGOC is seen by many (mostly the anti-gun community) as going overboard. Handgun OC on the other hand, is not as much "in your face" as LGOC is. My personal observation is that, other than in group mode, about 95% of the general population doesn't even notice an OCed handgun. And around here, even when it is, it's getting less and less negative reaction.

Unfortunately, certain LGOC incidents have started a lawsuit between CADL (Capitol Area District Library) and MOC (Michigan Open Carry), and some other interested parties. As a consequence, LGOC is in less favor with quite a few people. You are of course, free to carry however you wish. But it would be better if you refrained from LGOC for now. I think you'll find LEO interaction more acceptable as well.

(Someone notify me if I am mistaken in any of my comments above. Thank you.)

I think you are right on, I also think to carry a ling gun to an event set up by this group would be in bad taste as the forum is for the open carry for holstered pistols. However if RDBPratt would like to open carry a long gun i support him in this activity.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
I think you are right on, I also think to carry a ling gun to an event set up by this group would be in bad taste as the forum is for the open carry for holstered pistols. However if RDBPratt would like to open carry a long gun i support him in this activity.

stick around, you'll see it at plenty of events organized here. i've been to quite a few. only fudds are bothered by it.

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
I would support him in his right to do it, but doing it at an opencarry.org even would be in bad taste.
there is no such thing as an opencarry.org event. there are events that are planned on here and even some that have included LGOC were allowed to be discussed and planned here when deemed appropriate by admins. opencarry.org does not host or support its own get togethers, there are just people who post here who happen to get together. it's usually up to the individual who starts an event thread to say whether all firearms are welcome or not.

Last edited:

TheQ

The event in question about this thread was an Michigan Open Carry, Inc. event. Michigan Open Carry has a focus on HANDGUNS.

Status
Not open for further replies.