• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Officer Faris, Greenwood PD

Zach Mettenberger

Greenwood PD

I witnessed a wreck on Interstate 20 in Greenwood La. I stopped to make sure all were ok. A few minutes later the officer arrived on scene, approached me and asked me what agency I was with. I told him I was not a police officer and that OC was legal. He then told me that I needed to go put my gun in my car. I asked why? He replied that it was for his safety. In response to that I asked for a supervisor. He then raised his voice and told me that I better go put my gun in my car or "we" were going to have a problem. My next stop was the Greenwood police department to speak to a supervisor. Conveniently there was not one on duty. I left my name and number and requested that the lieutenant or chief of police call me. Do you guys have any advice for me? I was not wearing a recorder.

Last edited:

carolina guy

I witnessed a wreck on Interstate 20 in Greenwood La. I stopped to make sure all were ok. A few minutes later Officer Faris arrived on scene. Faris approached me and asked me what agency I was with. I told him I was not a police officer and that OC was legal. He then told me that I needed to go put my gun in my car. I asked why? He replied that it was for his safety. In response to that I asked for a supervisor. He then raised his voice and told me that I better go put my gun in my car or "we" were going to have a problem. My next stop was the Greenwood police department to speak to a supervisor. Conviently there was not one on duty. I left my name and number and requested that the lieutenant or chief of police call me. Do you guys have any advice for me? I was not wearing a recorder.

I suppose I would have asked him either:

1) how his safety trumps your safety
2) or why he fears law abiding citizens.

"You put your's away, I will put mine away."

Mattimusmaximus

I would have been hard to deal with I would have waited for his super visor and pleaded the 5th until I could talk to someone more level headed and I would have told him that but I'm up here in Oregon but either way your rights and mine are the same

Zach Mettenberger

Why did you put your gun away?

I didn't. I simply left the scene. I was pissed off and I was not going to argue with him on the side of the Interstate given the fact that he threatened me with a "problem" between me and him. I just want to know if he had a legal right to make me put my gun in my car.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned
I didn't. I simply left the scene. I was pissed off and I was not going to argue with him on the side of the Interstate given the fact that he threatened me with a "problem" between me and him. I just want to know if he had a legal right to make me put my gun in my car.

You carry and don't know the answer to this question? Its good you want to know but everyone carrying should know the answer to this question before they begin carrying. It varies by state.

KBCraig

You carry and don't know the answer to this question? Its good you want to know but everyone carrying should know the answer to this question before they begin carrying. It varies by state.

He can know the answer, yet encounter an entirely different reality out on the street. As a matter of fact, that's exactly what happened here.

No: the officer had no legal authority to make you put your gun in your car. But, since it was an interstate highway, he did have the authority to make you leave the scene (interstates are controlled access, with no stopping allowed; you weren't in an accident, just a bystander).

Zach, you did exactly what I would have done. If you have a relevant witness statement to the accident, you can contact Greenwood PD by phone. You can file a complaint about the officer's behavior or demeanor, but they will rule it as baseless, since you weren't harmed and weren't material to the accident.

Seigi

You did good. He could've ordered you to leave even if it wasn't an interstate.

http://legis.la.gov/lss/lss.asp?doc=78428

§329. Interfering with a law enforcement investigation

A. Interfering with a law enforcement investigation is the intentional interference or obstruction of a law enforcement officer conducting investigative work at the scene of a crime or the scene of an accident by refusing to move or leave the immediate scene of the crime or the accident when ordered to do so by the law enforcement officer when the offender has reasonable grounds to believe the officer is acting in the performance of his official duties.

B. For the purposes of this Section, "law enforcement officer" means any commissioned police officer, sheriff, deputy sheriff, marshal, deputy marshal, correctional officer, constable, wildlife enforcement agent, state park warden, livestock brand inspector, forestry officer, or probation and parole officer.

C. Whoever violates the provisions of this Section shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars, imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

Acts 2010, No. 349, §1.

davidmcbeth

Banned
You did good. He could've ordered you to leave even if it wasn't an interstate.

http://legis.la.gov/lss/lss.asp?doc=78428

§329. Interfering with a law enforcement investigation

A. Interfering with a law enforcement investigation is the intentional interference or obstruction of a law enforcement officer conducting investigative work at the scene of a crime or the scene of an accident by refusing to move or leave the immediate scene of the crime or the accident when ordered to do so by the law enforcement officer when the offender has reasonable grounds to believe the officer is acting in the performance of his official duties.

B. For the purposes of this Section, "law enforcement officer" means any commissioned police officer, sheriff, deputy sheriff, marshal, deputy marshal, correctional officer, constable, wildlife enforcement agent, state park warden, livestock brand inspector, forestry officer, or probation and parole officer.

C. Whoever violates the provisions of this Section shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars, imprisoned for not more than six months, or both.

Acts 2010, No. 349, §1.

Thats true, but the cop did not mention this -- he was only worried that he might get shot by a good Samaritan --- he needs a new job...

Nightforce1

I witnessed a wreck on Interstate 20 in Greenwood La. I stopped to make sure all were ok. A few minutes later the officer arrived on scene, approached me and asked me what agency I was with. I told him I was not a police officer and that OC was legal. He then told me that I needed to go put my gun in my car. I asked why? He replied that it was for his safety. In response to that I asked for a supervisor. He then raised his voice and told me that I better go put my gun in my car or "we" were going to have a problem. My next stop was the Greenwood police department to speak to a supervisor. Conveniently there was not one on duty. I left my name and number and requested that the lieutenant or chief of police call me. Do you guys have any advice for me? I was not wearing a recorder.

Why would you throw gas on a fire. Comply with the officer take it up with is superior. They have a hard job, and if he is uncomfortable respect that. Dont shove the law down his neck. This is why we continue to get more and more restricted laws in this country. What would it hurt to put your gun in the car when he has his and your are reasonably safe so he could put his mind at ease with someone he has no idea who you are so he can do his job. Sometimes to be right and the need to prove it is not the correct path.

Deepdiver36

Why would you throw gas on a fire. Comply with the officer take it up with is superior. They have a hard job, and if he is uncomfortable respect that. Dont shove the law down his neck. This is why we continue to get more and more restricted laws in this country. What would it hurt to put your gun in the car when he has his and your are reasonably safe so he could put his mind at ease with someone he has no idea who you are so he can do his job. Sometimes to be right and the need to prove it is not the correct path.

:banghead:

Shhhh, I am hunting troll!

I am uncomfortable with him being armed. Can I request he leave his gun in the car?

Thundar

we want our public servents to be properly trained.

Fallschirjmäger

I'm uncomfortable with women not being naked and leashed, can I request a woman to remove her clothing and wear a dog collar? Hmmm... okay, no collar if you really insist.
I'm uncomfortable with anyone using a camera or cellphone at my incident, you never know if they're trying to 'bait me' into doing something or if they're calling their homie's to come with their Fohtay's and light me up.

The only 'gas' being thrown was by Officer Friendly who wanted to be the 'Only One' in this case, the only one with a firearm. I'd have just given him a left-handed salute and said, "It's all yours, Sparky, good luck" and driven off.

Anyone taking bets on if Officer Friendly would have insisted that an unknown officer from a neighboring jurisdiction would have been asked to do the same? Is that shiny badge a magic talisman guaranteeing good behavior and the lack of a badge makes you somehow ..... suspect?

Last edited: