Thread: New gun owner.

New gun owner.

Hi my name is Kimmie and I'm a new gun owner. I've shot guns before but never owned my own, nevermind open carried. Where are there good places I can go and practice using my new gun? And any advice or tips on gun ownership and open carrying are more than wanted and welcome. Thanks!

Re: New gun owner.

First, welcome to the wonderful world of gun ownership! Look up some local ranges, and check out some youtube videos for the how to on breaking down and cleaning your firearm. That's important. And practice practice practice. Oh, and have fun to. Again, welcome!

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

Welcome to the site,

Ive started OC recently as well and I usually find myself OC in Walmart, Homedepot & Colorado Mills and up in the Mountains when I go camping. No problem so far.

Welcome to the forum!

In Colorado Springs one of the most popular places to go shooting is at DragonMan's out Hwy 94 and Curtis Rd. Whistling Pines has a really nice facility but it's expensive with a long waiting list from what I hear.

The National Forest which is pretty much everything west of town has plenty of informal shooting areas..but be careful of the no-shooting areas that are along some of the more popular roads through the Forest.

As far as tips and advice go, please feel free to search to forums or ask your questions here. Plenty of people around to help you.

What did you get??
    One day your life is going to flash before your eyes, make it worth watching.

I got a Ruger SR40c.

I need a good holster, what's a good brand that makes preferably leather holsters? The one I bought today is ok and will do for now, it's a blackhawk.

New gun owner.

Quote Originally Posted by EODkim13 View Post
    I need a good holster, what's a good brand that makes preferably leather holsters? The one I bought today is ok and will do for now, it's a blackhawk.
    Galco, Bianchi, DeSantis, there are many more!
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Quote Originally Posted by EODkim13 View Post
    I have bought most of my holsters from www.donhume.com. They are reasonably priced, excellent quality, and ship fast - normally.

They make excellent leather holsters to fit almost any handgun, and have a wide selection. I prefer Don Hume's inside-waistband holsters myself. Thumbreaks are available.

Glaco makes a good brand of leather. I have a black galco.
    I have shot at chapter 13, and there is dragon mans and whistling pines and soonish the range at fort Carson will open.

Advice I would give is be very aware of you surroundings. If you like rest your elbow on your sidearm and do elbow checks everyone in a while. Keep safeties on at all times if they are the manual type. Ct as if it's normal. Blow off comments such as "you should cc that thing" or any other dtremintal comment. If you can copy past local laws including preemption (sp). And remember the 1000 foot From school property. Pay attention to signs on entrances etc. Also love castle law. Car/whatever is an extension of your home. Cc oc whatever in your car.

I just oc'd at McDonald... Pretty hairy I'd say because being a weird bearded guy. Got a free drink out of it too. Now I don't have to stop by starbucks. it's more fru fru than my mochas frapachinos I get.

Also have you been ocing at a Walgreens. Theres a lady I have seen with a stainless ruger and I know she is sorta new to it. Just curious.
    Last edited by Wolfstanus; 08-31-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Campaign Veteran
    If the holster you bought was the Blackhawk SERPA, it's a nice secure holster. Helps prevent someone from grabbing your piece from behind.
    Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have any film......

Quote Originally Posted by Shadetreezj View Post
    If the holster you bought was the Blackhawk SERPA, it's a nice secure holster. Helps prevent someone from grabbing your piece from behind.
    Did you miss the part about her preferring leather holsters?

To the OP , Galco is primarily what I use, but you might check out a couple makes and models till you find just the right one. Good luck:-)

Campaign Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by DamonK View Post
    Did you miss the part about her preferring leather holsters?

To the OP , Galco is primarily what I use, but you might check out a couple makes and models till you find just the right one. Good luck:-)

No, I didn't miss it. Simply pointing out an added benefit of what is already owned.

Is that the best contribution that you have to offer? Jumping on my ****?
    Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have any film......

Guys... Not this again :/

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfstanus
    Guys... Not this again :/
    When this comment popped up in the "recent posts" list (right side of the main page),
    & I started reading the thread,
    at first I thought you meant "guys, it's another troll, not a real new member, stop giving it the attention it wants".

But I see nobody else picked up on that, & instead you were pointing out that people shouldn't fight.
    (Which they shouldn't...)

How many other first posts have you seen just like that one, where the troll was eventually outed?

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    When this comment popped up in the "recent posts" list (right side of the main page),
    & I started reading the thread,
    at first I thought you meant "guys, it's another troll, not a real new member, stop giving it the attention it wants".

But I see nobody else picked up on that, & instead you were pointing out that people shouldn't fight.
    (Which they shouldn't...)

How many other first posts have you seen just like that one, where the troll was eventually outed?
    Wait, I'm confused... am I the troll? I just prefer leather, and blackhawk does make leather holsters. But, if I am the troll, just let me know. I'll have to go find a bridge somewhere...

Blachawk leather on the left. the mag holster and the one without the pistol. Galco holster on the fare right. I like them both but I prefer the Blackhawk one more because it covers the entire pistol and the thumb strap is easier to use on the Blackhawk than the Galco. Also I found the Blackhawk more comfortable.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/3914/sam0059k.jpg

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8360/sam0061jk.jpg
    Last edited by Wolfstanus; 09-02-2012 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfstanus View Post
    Blachawk leather on the left. the mag holster and the one without the pistol. Galco holster on the fare right. I like them both but I prefer the Blackhawk one more because it covers the entire pistol and the thumb strap is easier to use on the Blackhawk than the Galco. Also I found the Blackhawk more comfortable.

http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/3914/sam0059k.jpg

http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/8360/sam0061jk.jpg
    I think I have the same galco that you do, but in brown. I like it because it shows off my perty 1911 lot of money and time in that gun, but I can kill bowling pins at 65 yard all day long with it. Not too shabby for a semiauto pistola!

Look up some local ranges...
    Dragonman's will be your least expensive range option, by far.

..and check out some youtube videos for the how to on breaking down and cleaning your firearm. That's important.
    While becoming thoroughly familiar with your firearm is important, Youtube is NOT where you want to find this information. Instead, read your firearms owner's manual. If you still have any questions, see a certified firearms dealer, preferably the one from who you purchased the firearm.

And practice practice practice.
    While this too is good advice, how much and what type of practice you should be doing is more important than practicing "a lot." Practicing bad habits is not good. It's far better to learn good habits, first, then practice those. If you already know how to shoot both rapidly and accurately under a high-pressure situation, by all means, keep doing what you're doing. If not, I suggest either a beginner, intermediate, or advanced self-defense handgun course, depending on your current level of expertise.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by since9 View Post
    Dragonman's will be your least expensive range option, by far.

While becoming thoroughly familiar with your firearm is important, Youtube is NOT where you want to find this information. Instead, read your firearms owner's manual. If you still have any questions, see a certified firearms dealer, preferably the one from who you purchased the firearm.

While this too is good advice, how much and what type of practice you should be doing is more important than practicing "a lot." Practicing bad habits is not good. It's far better to learn good habits, first, then practice those. If you already know how to shoot both rapidly and accurately under a high-pressure situation, by all means, keep doing what you're doing. If not, I suggest either a beginner, intermediate, or advanced self-defense handgun course, depending on your current level of expertise.
    There's nothing wrong with learning how to disassemble your weapon and some simple techniques for drawing and firing for free. Yes, you do need to pay attention to who you are watching(there are plenty of dumbies on there) but there's some good resources on there to.

Or you could just throw money at whatever fad training the "gun gurus" are pushing these days...

I say find a simple techinique that you're comfortable with and get really good at it. You don't need the gun counter guy to show you how. Most of the time those guys do more damage than good. And you can pause and go back and look at something you missed over and over again.

There's nothing wrong with learning how to disassemble your weapon and some simple techniques for drawing and firing for free. Yes, you do need to pay attention to who you are watching(there are plenty of dumbies on there) but there's some good resources on there to.

Or you could just throw money at whatever fad training the "gun gurus" are pushing these days...

I say find a simple techinique that you're comfortable with and get really good at it. You don't need the gun counter guy to show you how. Most of the time those guys do more damage than good. And you can pause and go back and look at something you missed over and over again.

I've learned a lot from people on Youtube when it comes to disassembling older firearms. I have a 30 yr old shotgun that for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to completely break it down. The manual was useless. Did a search and found out the missing steps from a guy who was quite helpful. Now I know the tricks and it's easy as pie. I can see some real benefits to the gun community on Youtube. But (disclaimer) obviously buyer be ware. There are absolutely some blithering imbeciles that shouldn't be given a camera let alone a gun. So take it for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by mobiushky View Post
    I've learned a lot from people on Youtube when it comes to disassembling older firearms. I have a 30 yr old shotgun that for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to completely break it down. The manual was useless. Did a search and found out the missing steps from a guy who was quite helpful. Now I know the tricks and it's easy as pie. I can see some real benefits to the gun community on Youtube. But (disclaimer) obviously buyer be ware. There are absolutely some blithering imbeciles that shouldn't be given a camera let alone a gun. So take it for what it's worth.
    But think of all the hours of entertainment we would miss out on if the idiots were not allowed cameras. Plus it's always better to learn from someone else's stupidity than to learn it from your own!
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    http://www.ColoradoGunOwners.com

A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Colorado Firearm law.
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/colorado/
    Lexis Nexis: Colorado law pertaining to firearms.
    Title 18, Article 12