• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Walk in downtown Cincy

ps1mhd

Did a walk in down town Cincy.
Had a late lunch on the Square then when to the Serpentine Wall park.
One park employee asked if I had a ccw I told him I did not need one that Ohio was a open carry state.
He asked if I was sure I said yes and walked away.
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=9177&d=1346448785

This was posted on the square sorry don't know how to enlarge it.
If you click on it you should be able to do it yourself.
4th line reads no weapons or firearms
I don't think any police saw me and no one yelled he has a gun and ran off
May go up for the fireworks but they are calling for rain Sunday.

Mike

Brian D.

Those signs in some of the places like Fountain Square are cheesily worded and in my opinion deliberately misleading. Unless one knows what they are not prohibited from doing under the ORC the verbiage strongly suggests that carrying a firearm might well be illegal. Not true of course but for folks not up to speed on the actual laws--like say out-of-state visitors among others--they are being conned into needlessly disarming themselves.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Did a walk in down town Cincy.
Had a late lunch on the Square then when to the Serpentine Wall park.
One park employee asked if I had a ccw I told him I did not need one that Ohio was a open carry state.
He asked if I was sure I said yes and walked away...
Thanks for talking your walk!

One suggestion - I would have engaged the individual in conversation, though - as a further educational move.

And yep, those signs have been there forever.

Last edited:

JSlack7851

To: Jeff Slack <jslack7851@yahoo.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 26, 2012 7:25 PM
Subject: Re: Ohio Law

We caught the error and the signs have been removed. Thank you for your note.

Sent from my iPad

Willie Carden is Director of Cinci. parks. Seems we / I should call him 'Slick Willie', he must of missed one...He told me Washington Park signs were removed.

BB62, Tell him Hi, for me: Willie.Carden@cincinnati-oh.gov

Last edited:

Individual101

Hey guys Im new to the site here. Dont have my CCW yet but will on the 3rd. So when you walked downtown the sign wasn't updated to accommodate the new laws to carry either open or concealed? When the guy said they removed the signs it means now we can open carry?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Hey guys Im new to the site here. Dont have my CCW yet but will on the 3rd. So when you walked downtown the sign wasn't updated to accommodate the new laws to carry either open or concealed? When the guy said they removed the signs it means now we can open carry?

Not sure what you mean the signs were not updated. Under Ohio The signs can't be posted at all. Since the passage of ORC 9.68 no city, township of village can regulate the carrying of firearms, open or concealed, except for a few exceptions.

What will you have on the 3rd? Taking the class or what. And the 3rd. of what month. Please explain.

eye95

Actually, I don't think the sign violates the law. It does provide an exception for activities allowed by law, which would include licensed CC and unlicensed OC. It is just deceptive. As pointed out by another poster, those unfamiliar with the law will assume that it would be illegal to carry in the park.

It is going to be nice to live in a State where other carriers and I can get together, going about armed, and not be considered a "demonstration," where being armed would be prohibited by law. I'd love it if a bunch of us milled about such a sign, creating an ironic scene as we all OCed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Individual101

Sorry I meant that I take the class on the third and Im getting my license the next day. I have a friend who works in the sheriffs office who can get my my license the right away when I turn my class completion in. No waiting

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Sorry I meant that I take the class on the third and Im getting my license the next day. I have a friend who works in the sheriffs office who can get my my license the right away when I turn my class completion in. No waiting
What department is this? I need to talk to that guy!

JmE

That guy is DEFINITELY a criminal!
Yeah, no doubt he's been on more than a few post office walls. Look at those shifty eyes... a flout-law if I ever saw one!

BTW: You need a bigger gun.

Last edited:

eye95

Is it the "or otherwise by law" component that makes the sign invalid?

I would say it makes the sign valid, but meaningless.

The sign might as well say, "You can't carry unless the law allows you to carry, and BTW, the law does."

The purpose of the sign is to confuse law-abiding citizens into not carrying. It probably also confuses LEOs into harassing law-abiding carriers.

JSlack7851

I would say it makes the sign valid, but meaningless.

The sign might as well say, "You can't carry unless the law allows you to carry, and BTW, the law does."

The purpose of the sign is to confuse law-abiding citizens into not carrying. It probably also confuses LEOs into harassing law-abiding carriers.

Although this subject has been beat to death and back, it is the general consensus that the sign refers to LEO, being authorized by law, not CCW holders.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=48537

Last edited:

eye95

Although this subject has been beat to death and back, it is the general consensus that the sign refers to LEO, being authorized by law, not CCW holders.

http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=48537

Where in the plain-reading do we get that it applies only to LEOs. Even if the authors meant that, unless the sign says that it means LEOs, it applies to all carriers.

Isn't there a principle in law that says if a law (or a rule, a regulation, or a sign) is ambiguous, it is to be construed in the way that is least restrictive to the People?

Oh, and I don't visit that site any more for reasons I have cited earlier, so I couldn't care less if that horse was beaten to death there. I am discussing it here.

BTW, I get the distinct impression that you intensely dislike how this site is run. The logical course would be to post elsewhere. Much like me posting here and not there.

Last edited: