• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry encounter in Minerva, Ohio

Humanshield

Open Carry encounter in Minerva, Ohio (Audio Added)

In my little burgh of Minerva Ohio I was quite the attention getter last night. I have been open carrying for about 6 weeks without incident. Last night while walking down the street minding my own business I was flashed and eventually confronted with 3 cruisers and 4 officers (I think the entire on duty force in this little town) I was able to record part of the confrontation (with them being aware of it) . For the most part aside from not being aware of what the law actually states 3 of them where quite cordial. One officer however was quite aggressive. Raising his voice on multiple occasions and misquoting state law on multiple occasions. They where called by a citizen who witnessed me walking down the street and responded.

Upon the initial encounter the officer got out of the vehicle and asked me what was on my belt. I told them it was my personal handgun. He told me to put my hands where he could see them. which I did. He then approached me and said he was going to remove my firearm I then told him "I do not submit to search or seizure of my personal property" he disregarded this and took the gun from it's retention holster. They asked me for my ID to which I replied am I suspected of committing a crime? The first officer said "For carrying that gun
" To which I responded that carrying a gun was not illegal in the state of Ohio. He then asked if I had a CCW I told him that I was open carrying and preferred not to comment. They continued to demand my license to which I explained they could not demand my ID without reasonable suspicion. To which they said a complaint of a man with a gun was reasonable suspicion. I explain it was not they of course said I was incorrect. Eventually I asked if I could record the rest of the conversation and I would then show them my ID.

Conversation with the officers revealed that they had no idea that open carry was legal and I was then told that not alerting them of my CCW upon the initial stop was a crime and I could be arrested for it. I informed them that I was only required by law to inform them if I had been carrying a concealed firearm. Mind you most of the negative experience was from one officer in particular and the others seemed somewhat convinced from my argument that I may be within my rights. Eventually they ran my ID,my guns serial #, and my CCW. Returned it all to me and I was free to go. I was detained approx 45 minutes.

My question is are:

Where would I find a true legal definition of when they can DEMAND my ID or information that would ID me ie name,birth-date etc... (Reasonable suspicion)

When can they seize my firearm?

My concern was now my name is on record at the MPD for not breaking any laws. Is spoke with the supervisor on duty this morning he was about as reasonable as the one officer was last night. I am drafting a letter for the City Administrator , Chief of police, and City Law Director.

I am uploading the videos now. Here are the URL's YouTube tells me they will be available at.

Part 1 is here
http://youtu.be/3GgRRistMP0

Part 2 is here
http://youtu.be/1E-ny5mm0Sg

Keep in mind I was nervous during this encounter as I was in a gestapo situation, unarmed against my will, and my first such situation.

Last edited:

Hareuhal

1) Don't ask them to record the conversation, just record it. Per Ohio law, only one member of the party needs to be aware that the conversation is being recorded, and that one member of the party is you. Don't ask, just do.

2) Don't give them your ID without them having RAS. There is no point. Also don't bargain with them (as stated above, you don't need to request permission or notify them that you are going to record the conversation). Ask to speak to their supervisor, and continue up the chain until someone who knows the laws shows up.

3) They can't seize your weapon unless they have RAS. They illegally took your weapon from you, I would file a complaint with the department and the city and continue to fight this until you get the desired results.

My concern was now my name is on record at the MPD for not breaking any laws. Is spoke with the supervisor on duty this morning he was about as reasonable as the one officer was last night. I am drafting a letter for the City Administrator , Chief of police, and City Law Director.

This is exactly why you don't provide ID when you've not broken any laws.

Good luck, and hopefully if anything I stated is wrong, someone else will correct me.

*Edit* Can you share with us the part of the conversation you got recorded?

*Double Edit* I sent an e-mail to their police chief, her e-mail is chief@minervapark.org if you'd like to do the same. Remember to be respectful.

Last edited:

Hareuhal

Also what town/city did this happen in?

This has to be dealt with. There are too many police dept. not getting any training.

You missed the title, eh? :p

Minerva, Ohio.

I sent their chief an e-mail, you can also e-mail her at chief@minervapark.org if you're interested. Hopefully enough people will do so that she takes the time to teach her officers.

Humanshield

1) Don't ask them to record the conversation, just record it. Per Ohio law, only one member of the party needs to be aware that the conversation is being recorded, and that one member of the party is you. Don't ask, just do.

I understand this, I did not want to reach into my pocket for my phone without permission.

2) Don't give them your ID without them having RAS. There is no point. Also don't bargain with them (as stated above, you don't need to request permission or notify them that you are going to record the conversation). Ask to speak to their supervisor, and continue up the chain until someone who knows the laws shows up.
RAS?

3) They can't seize your weapon unless they have RAS. They illegally took your weapon from you, I would file a complaint with the department and the city and continue to fight this until you get the desired results.
I plan on notifying the chief/city administrator/Law director.

I will get a copy of what I got recorded uploaded sometime. So the officer approached me and told me he was taking my gun. I certainly was not going to fight with him over it. Is there someplace I can cite when they can or cannot seize it? OR when they can or cannot demand my ID for that matter?

Also, it is Minerva, Minerva Park is another city in the state. We are on state route 30 just east of Canton. zip 44657.

Last edited:

Hareuhal

I understand this, I did not want to reach into my pocket for my phone without permission.

(3) If the person is stopped for a law enforcement purpose, if the person is carrying a concealed handgun, and if the person is approached by any law enforcement officer while stopped, knowingly remove or attempt to remove the loaded handgun from the holster, pocket, or other place in which the person is carrying it, knowingly grasp or hold the loaded handgun, or knowingly have contact with the loaded handgun by touching it with the person’s hands or fingers at any time after the law enforcement officer begins approaching and before the law enforcement officer leaves, unless the person removes, attempts to remove, grasps, holds, or has contact with the loaded handgun pursuant to and in accordance with directions given by the law enforcement officer;

Your pocket is not your weapon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasonable_suspicion.

As in, they cannot require ID from you unless they suspect you of a crime...

"(A) No person who is in a public place shall refuse to disclose the person’s name, address, or date of birth, when requested by a law enforcement officer who reasonably suspects either of the following:

(1) The person is committing, has committed, or is about to commit a criminal offense.

(2) The person witnessed any of the following:

(a) An offense of violence that would constitute a felony under the laws of this state;

(b) A felony offense that causes or results in, or creates a substantial risk of, serious physical harm to another person or to property;

(c) Any attempt or conspiracy to commit, or complicity in committing, any offense identified in division (A)(2)(a) or (b) of this section;

(d) Any conduct reasonably indicating that any offense identified in division (A)(2)(a) or (b) of this section or any attempt, conspiracy, or complicity described in division (A)(2)(c) of this section has been, is being, or is about to be committed.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of failure to disclose one’s personal information, a misdemeanor of the fourth degree.

(C) Nothing in this section requires a person to answer any questions beyond that person’s name, address, or date of birth. Nothing in this section authorizes a law enforcement officer to arrest a person for not providing any information beyond that person’s name, address, or date of birth or for refusing to describe the offense observed.

(D) It is not a violation of this section to refuse to answer a question that would reveal a person’s age or date of birth if age is an element of the crime that the person is suspected of committing."

So the officer approached me and told me he was taking my gun. I certainly was not going to fight with him over it. Is there someplace I can cite when they can or cannot seize it? OR when they can or cannot demand my ID for that matter?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Amendment_of_the_United_States_Constitution
followed by
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Amendment_of_the_United_States_Constitution#Consent
also
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapp_v._Ohio

Humanshield

Another argument that was made to me was "How do we know you are not a felon and are legal to carry a firearm." To which I pointed out the car passing by and asked how they know that driver is not drunk or driving under a suspended license. And can you pull him over to check?

What is the legality of there question?

Hareuhal

They pull that a lot of times. Unless they have reason to suspect it, doesn't matter. They can't just check because they want to.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Humanshield

That is what I thought.
Hareuhal thank you for all of the input. Sorry for all of the questions. This was my first encounter, I was nervous but kept my cool.

What about the claim that "Someone called in a suspicious person with a gun. We have to investigate and have the right to demand your ID."

Hareuhal

Someone calling on another person for a LEGAL action does not warrant RAS and therefore providing ID is not required.

Garystarcher

I live in canton and I'm down in Minerva a lot so if you want I will be more then willing to do a walk around town with you while open carrying. This needs to be addressed. It's the little towns who are a big problem when it comes to this.

Deanimator

That is what I thought.
Hareuhal thank you for all of the input. Sorry for all of the questions. This was my first encounter, I was nervous but kept my cool.

What about the claim that "Someone called in a suspicious person with a gun. We have to investigate and have the right to demand your ID."
"Suspicious" in what WAY? Openly carrying a gun? Not a crime.

Regarding the recording, whenever I carry, I start the recorder on my phone going BEFORE I leave the house. Hence no need for starting the recorder if something DOES happen. I use Cop Recorder II for the Android phone which runs in the background and gives no indication that it's running.

It seems that 1/3 of cops know and obey the law, 1/3 don't know the law, and 1/3 neither know nor care about the law. We need to make it painful for those 2/3 who don't take their duties seriously.

Last edited:

JSlack7851

Someone calling on another person for a LEGAL action does not warrant RAS and therefore providing ID is not required.

This is true, to the best of my knowledge. I have seen in a few cases where LEO won't take no for a answer, to the point of taking your ID out of your hand cuffed, face down on the ground, body.

Ok, what recourse does one have after that? FreedomFighter 777 filed a lawsuit, supposedly won. Harley's &Gun's, told the Waverly Police Officer, he didn't have to tell him $hit, when it came to offering up ID. He was arrested, pled to a $80 or so fine, after 18 months of fighting, with lawyers, Pro Bono, no word on any further action yet. Most recently a man in Springfield, near Dayton. MWAG call, LEO respond, refusal to offer ID, cited. ORC - 2921.31 Obstructing official business.

It is the law, it is the truth, but with out cash to burn, just how is anyone going to hold LEO accountable so it doesn't happen again? Its not like putting you in handcuffs and taking your wallet is going to light up a lawyers eyes and see a payday. What damages would you have?

Hareuhal

That is the risk we take to defend out rights. The more we fight it and refuse to give up our clearly stated rights, the less it will happen.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
RAS - Reasonable Articulable Suspicion, that you have, are, or are about to commit a crime.

IOW, the conditions for a Terry stop. (Terry v. Ohio)

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I live in canton and I'm down in Minerva a lot so if you want I will be more then willing to do a walk around town with you while open carrying. This needs to be addressed. It's the little towns who are a big problem when it comes to this.
EXCELLENT!!

We need more grassroots activity in Northern and Northeastern Ohio.

Contact MyWifeSaidYes if you like - he lives up that way.

Hareuhal

EXCELLENT!!

We need more grassroots activity in Northern and Northeastern Ohio.

Contact MyWifeSaidYes if you like - he lives up that way.

yeah, I'm in the Cleveland area and have been waiting for people to wanna get together..

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Another argument that was made to me was "How do we know you are not a felon and are legal to carry a firearm." To which I pointed out the car passing by and asked how they know that driver is not drunk or driving under a suspended license. And can you pull him over to check?

What is the legality of there question?
They can ASK you anything they want. Whether you are LEGALLY required to answer it is another matter.

Your example was on point. An officer needs to have RAS before he can stop/detain you.

Remember, you might not "win" at the scene, but over time your calm demeanor and determined approach WILL have an effect.

Deanimator

They can ASK you anything they want. Whether you are LEGALLY required to answer it is another matter.

Your example was on point. An officer needs to have RAS before he can stop/detain you.

Remember, you might not "win" at the scene, but over time your calm demeanor and determined approach WILL have an effect.
Combined with an audio recording, it'll have a much BIGGER effect.

Of course you don't want to tell them you HAVE a recording until AFTER you've FOIAed ALL records of the interaction so that they don't have the opportunity to "correct" the documentation.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Combined with an audio recording, it'll have a much BIGGER effect...
Absolutely, I consider that a given.

Bottom line - if one is going to OC, you ought to have your recorder running.

Of course you don't want to tell them you HAVE a recording until AFTER you've FOIAed ALL records of the interaction so that they don't have the opportunity to "correct" the documentation.
Yep.

Last edited: