• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Arrested last night

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...A prosecutor would be a fool to actually attempt to prosecute this.
Yeah, but what's it going to cost the OP to get to the dismissal stage?

I've seen repeated examples of a prosecutor running someone through "the system" just to show who's boss.

And the individual's recourse? LOL!

hotrod

This is direct quotation from the uniform citation:

Above came through a traffic safety checkpoint at the Ledbetter bridge. Above had a handgun in plain view on the center console. Above was then ordered out of the vehicle to secure the weapon. Above was then directed to a secondary location to continue checking the vehicle. Above was upset with this and was speaking to Lt. White, U/100. Above squared off against him and pointed his finger in Lt. White's face placing Lt. White in reasonable apprehension of imminent physical injury. Above was then told to put his hands on the car. He continued to be argumentative and irate. Above was placed in handcuffs for safety. Above was told that he was detained and continued to argue in public in a loud manner that he was arrested. Above was creating public alarm which served no legitimate purpose.

My problem is how are they going to explain why the secondary stop AFTER they seized a legal weapon. At a DUI checkpoint it is just that, a DUI checkpoint. If the subject does not meet certain criteria, he is to be allowed to proceed. A handgun in plain view is not RAS of anything. It is legal to carry and no reason to secure, detain or arrest. When you were ordered out, you were detained, again for what? I can not wrap my head around the arrest based on the complaint. Unless you were threatening to kick Lt. Whites backside how can they determined you sqaured off. I think this was a contempt of a state police officer complaint and nothing more. It is not illegal to be argumentative and irate.

garyh9900

Also remember the custodian of KSP records is in Frankfort. That is where you request will go, then they will gather the information from the post and send it to you.

self preservation

I need to file FOIA requests, but I really have no idea how to do that stuff.

What these guys are telling you is correct...BUT I would call KSP first to see if they have their own FOIA form. I filed a FOIA with Mt. Sterling PD and Montgomery Co 911 and my self typed letter wasn't good enough for them.

I had to fill out their FOIA form before they would release the information that I was requesting. Just hate for you to have to re-do your request.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
What these guys are telling you is correct...BUT I would call KSP first to see if they have their own FOIA form. I filed a FOIA with Mt. Sterling PD and Montgomery Co 911 and my self typed letter wasn't good enough for them.

I had to fill out their FOIA form before they would release the information that I was requesting. Just hate for you to have to re-do your request.

Suspect that that requirement was extra-legal and perhaps designed to cause some to not follow through. Can find no statutory requirement for a specific format.
http://sunshinereview.org/index.php/Requesting_copies_of_public_records

self preservation

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I would dearly love to point out the many violations of statute and Constitutional right, but I am afraid for my life that others have already done so.

The big question is, did you point your finger at him or did you poke it towards him? And was your hand making a "gun shape" gesture when you did that?

I am seriously considering reverting to the things I learned as a child touring Europe - such as pointing with the longest finger.

stay safe.

Last edited:

garyh9900

Actually they cannot require to use your own form. A letter or request satisfying the parts required by KRS is sufficient to request public records and they must respond to it within 3 business days. But to save you the trouble of writing something out, KSP does have a request form on their website.

MrOverlay

Wow! There are so many rights violations here you will have no problem having this thrown out. I am curious as to why they charged you if you were in YOUR vehicle? If you would, PM me with details. This is insane! I find it odd this has now happened twice in a couple of weeks. These charges are false and numerous rights were violated; they charged you with 2 statutes that you were not violating! You will need a good lawyer that knows the law and constitutional aspects concerning firearms IF this doesn't get thrown out! PM me their reasoning for the charges and what happened and I will help any way I can.

Here is something you might want to get started, and this will help you understand what will happen: KRS 15.520 Complaints against police officers -- Manner of investigation and hearing.

KSP operate under Chapter 16. The above KRS is for other police agencies unless something has changed.

garyh9900

KSP operate under Chapter 16. The above KRS is for other police agencies unless something has changed.
If you want to complain about a trooper, you need to contact the internal affairs branch. Speak with Sgt. Donald Wilson, he is a supervisor up there. He is a good guy and a good trooper.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
DA: Is it true it was your illegal actions that made Mr._______ express his grievances concerning your actions, and without your illegal actions and detainment and search, this never would have happened?
Officer: UUUhhh OOOHhh.
DA: Tells the jury that Mr.______'s actions were not a violation of law, but rather PROTECTED actions under the First Amendment, and that it was the officers illegal and unconstitutional actions that made him redress his grievances. And I am sure he will have nothing more to ask!

Open and closed! A prosecutor would be a fool to actually attempt to prosecute this.
I don't know how the people in Kentucky are, but I'd be afraid of any jury hashing out this issue just because so many people are brainwashed in to just doing what they are told and not arguing with cops.

ZXguy

I don't know how the people in Kentucky are, but I'd be afraid of any jury hashing out this issue just because so many people are brainwashed in to just doing what they are told and not arguing with cops.

Unfortunately, I'd have to agree with you.

CharleyCherokee

Well. It's no surprise, but the KSP denied the FOIA request. All of it. Motion has been made for discovery, and the pretrial date is Sept. 27 at 9 a.m. I'm fairly certain this will be going to trial.

self preservation

Well. It's no surprise, but the KSP denied the FOIA request. All of it. Motion has been made for discovery, and the pretrial date is Sept. 27 at 9 a.m. I'm fairly certain this will be going to trial.

Did they say that they couldn't release it because "this case is still open???" I'm just curious, do you have an attorney? I assume that since a motion for discovery has been made then the answer is yes.

09jisaac

Can you post their reply or do you think that you shouldn't discuss it much on an open forum? They should, included in their reply, give you a reason (exact KRS) why they cannot/will not give you the information you requested.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
That is correct. They denied the FOIA request because of the pending case.
Just to clarify, FOIA (Freedom Of Information Act) is a request for Federal information - an open records request (Ohio) or the KY equivalent is for state or lower level governmental entity information requests.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I need to file FOIA requests, but I really have no idea how to do that stuff. I realize I should probably just do a google search and try to figure it out myself, but I would appreciate a walkthrough or being pointed to one for getting the information that I require. Currently I'm having trouble focusing on the task at hand, because even though I know the charges are bogus I'm well aware that court can be little more than a crap shoot at times. I will post the text of their complaint when I get back home for those that are curious.

You should check you state's foia laws ... if you have a pending case then it may kapoot any foia request as it may interfere with discovery ...