• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I think that theColorado Spring police have gotten the message about OC in city parks

Hamans-gallows

I rode my bike over to Memorial Park to see what was going on today, but the balloon area was pretty deserted. I watched the skateboarders for a while, chatted with a guy that was running his RC boats in the lake, and then headed back home.

I went past the infamous Acacia park where the fellow was arrested for OC in late July. There were a bunch of people in the park, so I stopped off to see what was happening. Turns out that the Israelite Church of Security was having its annual Feed the Community BBQ. I was very gratified to see that contrary to (some) stereotypes. the 90% Black crowd was orderly, not leaving trash around, having a good time, and everyone was friendly and smiling. They fed me a quite tasty meal, and encouraged me to eat as much as I liked.

There was a CSPD cop walking around, and when he saw my gun, he didn't stare or scowl at me, but did kind of hang around the general area for a bit, surreptitiously checking me out. When he walked past me, he actually smiled and greeted me.

No problems whatsoever. He saw me chatting with calm, friendly people, shaking hands with various gentlemen that I met there, and just generally peacefully enjoying myself. Well, it didn't take long before I perceived him as no longer keeping an eye on me.

I am glad that I could at least show this officer that OCers are not necessarily a bunch of troublemakers and instigators.

Gunslinger

They're not, generally. The moron cops will quickly learn, that black, so called 'sergeant' should be fired, the others strongly reprimanded or demoted. Glad your experience was what should be expected. The mayor and the chief of police will have to accept the COS taxpayers will be paying for the cops' stupidity. I think the lesson will be well learned.

since9

Campaign Veteran
There was a CSPD cop walking around, and when he saw my gun, he didn't stare or scowl at me, but did kind of hang around the general area for a bit, surreptitiously checking me out. When he walked past me, he actually smiled and greeted me.

Did you smile and greet him back?

No problems whatsoever. He saw me chatting with calm, friendly people, shaking hands with various gentlemen that I met there, and just generally peacefully enjoying myself. Well, it didn't take long before I perceived him as no longer keeping an eye on me.

I am glad that I could at least show this officer that OCers are not necessarily a bunch of troublemakers and instigators.

Well, you showed him that at least one OCer isn't a troublemaker. :)

All the rest of us have to do is follow your lead.

Hamans-gallows

Did you smile and greet him back?

Actually, I initiated the greeting with a smile and "How's it goin'" He responded with a quick smile and "OK."

When I am OCing, I make it a point to display a calm, friendly, approachable demeanor. I greet people, pet their dogs, smile and wave at their children.

Like my father always used to say: A smile will get you far, but not as far as a gun and a smile.