• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan Open Carry Rally for SB-59 in Monroe, MI - 9/30

TheQ

The leadership of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. is organizing a rally in Monroe Michigan (Home town of Randy Richardville, Michigan State Senate Majority Leader) to protest the lack of movement on SB-59, a bill that would allow anyone with a CPL to get an exemption from Michigan's Concealed Gun Free Zones (this would also "legitimize" the "Open carry in a PFZ" loophole).

Before our previous rally, Senator Randy Richardville called Michigan Open Carry, Inc. president, Phillip Hofmeister, to discuss the bill. Richardville said in that conversation "I'll talk to the speaker [of the House] to see if we can get it on the agenda in September." Well, we're holding this rally for one of two reasons:

1. To hold his feet to the fire, if it doesn't get passed out of the Senate by Sept. 30.
2. To thank him (maybe offer him a guest speaking role at the event) if the bill has passed out of the Senate.

Relevant Links:

Event Details:
Where:
Rally Point:
St. Mary's Park
Corner of Monroe and Elm
Monroe, MI

Restaurant:
Dena Family Restaurant
15391 Dixie Highway,
Monroe, MI

When: Sept, 30 2012 (2:00 PM - 5:00 PM):
Between 1:40 PM and 2:00 PM: Arrive at St. Mary's Park
Between 1:40 PM and 2:30 PM: Meet and Greet, Socialize, and Make signs from stencils
Between 2:30 PM and 3:15 PM: Take to the streets of downtown Monroe.
Between 3:15 PM and 3:30 PM: After arriving back in St. Mary's park, head to restaurant for early dinner

What to do to attend

What to bring
  • Like last time, bring a piece of 28" x 22" posterboard. We saved the stencils from last time and we will re-use them to remake signs again this time.
  • Bring an energized, positive, and respectable attitude.
  • Yourself wearing respectable clothing. How we present ourselves will impact the effectiveness of our message.

Last edited:

Glock9mmOldStyle

Campaign Veteran
Outstanding! The only way the folks in Lansing are going to do anything is if they understand that they may have their feet held to the political fire so to speak.

Nothing like giving our law makers the attention they deserve! :D

Giving up civil rights for security is a certain way to lose both! :eek:

Last edited:

TheQ

Bump. This is for our rights people. Would you drive to Monroe if they were selling gently used M-4's for $50?

Ken56

I attended the first one will likely attend this one, hopefully with the wife this time. Is it possible for someone from MOC to bring some tri folds to purchase? Did I miss that last time if they were offered? I did see some of us passing out a few last rally and thought that was a great idea (duh).

TheQ

I attended the first one will likely attend this one, hopefully with the wife this time. Is it possible for someone from MOC to bring some tri folds to purchase? Did I miss that last time if they were offered? I did see some of us passing out a few last rally and thought that was a great idea (duh).

We don't generally charge for tri-folds. I'll give you 10 if you promise to pass them out.

Donations always happily accepted.

Ken56

Q, thanks. I like the shiney paper that the official ones are printed on, lol. I usually print off my own when I need them but haven't been able to get my printer to co operate to print 2 sided brochure style. I did it before but now I can't seem to figure out how I did it. I will keep working on that.

onestar 50

If the weather is half way decent my wife and I will be come probably since she is oxygen and plus in a Motorize wheel chair. I will probably be oced and she might be cc.

onestar 50

If this bill get pass how will it effect the open carry with cpl in pfz. I read some where in this form it will close the loop hoop about oc in pfz.

Ruckus

Is this going to be solely an open carry event or is there an expectation that other Michigan Second Amemendment groups and supporters might be in attendance at this rally?

Last edited: