Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36

Thread: What happened to some of our stickies?

  1. #1
    Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Lansing area, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    6,446

    What happened to some of our stickies?

    Stickies?
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

  2. #2
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448

    What happened to some of our stickies?

    Like which ones?
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Ezerharden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Erie, MI
    Posts
    744
    Looks like some of the old event stickies were removed.
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

    I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

    For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

  4. #4
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845
    This is a prime reason why MOC has our own forum. The all powerful mods dumped the following useful stickies without asking anyone in MI.

    Open Carry Guide Project.

    Wash Rinse Repeat Link

    The four MSP Legal Updates that discuss OC

    I am sure there are others I am missing. I submit the reason is these stickies are not driving page views and since page views mean advertising revenue.....

    In the early days of OC in MI OCDO used to be a useful site however it is more and more becoming a joke where people rant at each other and nothing useful is posted. I have long ago stopped referring people here as the useful information to crap ratio is so out of whack. And now most of the useful information is gone in one fell swoop.
    Last edited by autosurgeon; 09-02-2012 at 09:16 AM.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  5. #5
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon View Post
    This is a prime reason why MOC has our own forum. The all powerful mods dumped the following useful stickies without asking anyone in MI.

    Open Carry Guide Project.

    Wash Rinse Repeat Link

    The four MSP Legal Updates that discuss OC

    I am sure there are others I am missing. I submit the reason is these stickies are not driving page views and since page views mean advertising revenue.....

    In the early days of OC in MI OCDO used to be a useful site however it is more and more becoming a joke where people rant at each other and nothing useful is posted. I have long ago stopped referring people here as the useful information to crap ratio is so out of whack. And now most of the useful information is gone in one fell swoop.
    If nobody is looking, what value do they have?
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Davisburg, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    8,948
    @ auto. I have personally toned it down here, Im tired of the BS too.

  7. #7
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Re: What happened to some of our stickies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    If nobody is looking, what value do they have?
    They are there to refer people to the info in one placeplace.

    Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by autosurgeon; 09-02-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  8. #8
    Regular Member dougwg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,445
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Bear View Post
    If nobody is looking, what value do they have?
    Easily accessible information is critical.

  9. #9
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448

    What happened to some of our stickies?

    Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon View Post
    This is a prime reason why MOC has our own forum. The all powerful mods dumped the following useful stickies without asking anyone in MI.

    Open Carry Guide Project.

    Wash Rinse Repeat Link

    The four MSP Legal Updates that discuss OC

    I am sure there are others I am missing. I submit the reason is these stickies are not driving page views and since page views mean advertising revenue.....

    In the early days of OC in MI OCDO used to be a useful site however it is more and more becoming a joke where people rant at each other and nothing useful is posted. I have long ago stopped referring people here as the useful information to crap ratio is so out of whack. And now most of the useful information is gone in one fell swoop.
    I've asked them to pull some stickies, but none of the ones you referenced. FWIW, WRR is still there.
    Last edited by TheQ; 09-02-2012 at 11:39 AM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  10. #10
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Re: What happened to some of our stickies?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    I've asked them to pull some stickies, but none of the ones you referenced. FWIW, WRR is still there.
    It is now... because they put it back.

    Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  11. #11
    Michigan Moderator Shadow Bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grand Rapids
    Posts
    1,018
    Quote Originally Posted by autosurgeon View Post
    They are there to refer people to the info in one placeplace.

    Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Agreed, but if no one was looking at them, why would the forum keep them?

    There was earlier discussion about page views; if low or non existent, it makes sense. Anybody got any data?
    'If the people are not ready for the exercise of the non-violence of the brave, they must be ready for the use of force in self defense. There should be no camouflage.....it must never be secret.' MK Gandhi II-146 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)-- Gandhi supports open carry!

    'There is nothing more demoralizing than the fake non-violence of the weak and impotent.' MK Gandhi II-153 (Gandhi on Non-Violence)

  12. #12
    Regular Member autosurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Lawrence, Michigan, United States
    Posts
    3,845

    Re: What happened to some of our stickies?

    The stickies that were removed were primarily to help new ocers get up to speed without having to ask the same old questions over and over. They were also a resource to be used for citation when answering a new ocers questions. They were never intended to get huge page views. In fact most people would only go there once and read the info. They are not generally exciting enough to develop a great following but that has little to do with how useful the informational is.

    Imop this site has forgotten that education is why it exists... and if it wants to be another arfcom so be it...

    Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2
    Anything I post may be my opinion and not the law... you are responsible to do your own verification.

    Blackstone (1753-1765) maintains that "the law holds that it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer."

  13. #13
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448
    Whenever I bring up that "other" OC Forum in Michigan, I get jumped, meh -- ask me if I care.

    We have lots of good information all in one thread here:

    http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/...opic,25.0.html

    As well as many other useful stickies in that same sub-forum:

    http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/...board,5.0.html
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  14. #14
    Regular Member ken243's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clio, MI
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Whenever I bring up that "other" OC Forum in Michigan, I get jumped, meh -- ask me if I care.

    We have lots of good information all in one thread here:

    http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/...opic,25.0.html

    As well as many other useful stickies in that same sub-forum:

    http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/...board,5.0.html
    Which is why today I became a paid member....
    Person in Home Depot: "Do you really think you need that?"
    Me: "I hope not. But then again, I didn't need my seatbelt on the way here either."

  15. #15
    Regular Member Raggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Wild Wild West Michigan
    Posts
    1,188

    Good links

    Thanks TheQ, those links do look good
    My reasons to OC
    1. to raise awareness of the legality of open carry in Michigan
    2. To raise awareness that good people carry guns
    3. A deterrent to people so that I won't be targeted
    4. Because it's more comfortable than CC in most situations
    5. Because I can and want to
    6. Because it's perfectly legal
    7. Self defense

  16. #16
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by ken243 View Post
    Which is why today I became a paid member....
    Where's the "like" button?

    I think you'll find the signal to noise ratio lower on the MOC Forum (despite certain posters not being routinely banned there -- but certain other posters are).
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  17. #17
    Regular Member ken243's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clio, MI
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Where's the "like" button?

    I think you'll find the signal to noise ratio lower on the MOC Forum (despite certain posters not being routinely banned there -- but certain other posters are).
    Nice choice of words.
    Person in Home Depot: "Do you really think you need that?"
    Me: "I hope not. But then again, I didn't need my seatbelt on the way here either."

  18. #18
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337

    Re: What happened to some of our stickies?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Where's the "like" button?

    I think you'll find the signal to noise ratio lower on the MOC Forum (despite certain posters not being routinely banned there -- but certain other posters are).
    Yep, because some of those banned here like to disregard the owners wishes that they not post here by lying about who they are. They come here to make as many personal attacks as they can until the mods discover their presence. Their behavior is worse than that which they wish to criticize, which further reflects poorly on everyone at both websites.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  19. #19
    Regular Member Ezerharden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Erie, MI
    Posts
    744
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Whenever I bring up that "other" OC Forum in Michigan, I get jumped, meh -- ask me if I care.

    We have lots of good information all in one thread here:

    http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/...opic,25.0.html

    As well as many other useful stickies in that same sub-forum:

    http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/...board,5.0.html
    You mean that "other" OC forum that is run by people in Michigan that understand Michigan firearms laws?
    Want to keep informed of Open Carry events in your area? Go to www.miopencarry.org/update

    I carry a gun because a Police Officer is too heavy.

    For Drama free gun rights discussion, see http://forums.michiganopencarry.org/

  20. #20
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezerharden View Post
    You mean that "other" OC forum that is run by people in Michigan that understand Michigan firearms laws?
    I wouldn't trust them to "know" Michigan's firearms laws; I'd still ask for a citation. No offense, but to take anyone's word for it is dangerous.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  21. #21
    Regular Member Bronson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Battle Creek, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    2,157
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    I wouldn't trust them to "know" Michigan's firearms laws; I'd still ask for a citation. No offense, but to take anyone's word for it is dangerous.
    And stupid.

    Bronson
    Those who expect to reap the benefits of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it. Thomas Paine

  22. #22
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448

    What happened to some of our stickies?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    I wouldn't trust them to "know" Michigan's firearms laws; I'd still ask for a citation. No offense, but to take anyone's word for it is dangerous.
    The referenced thread includes many cites
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

  23. #23
    Regular Member WilDChilD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Dewitt, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    288
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    The referenced thread includes many cites
    Forum migration?

  24. #24
    Michigan Moderator DrTodd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Hudsonville , Michigan, USA
    Posts
    3,337
    Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    The referenced thread includes many cites
    I sure hope so. In general though, because I believe that many people seem to be advocating leaving OCDO because one shouldn't need to cite that which is legal, I would hope that those who advocate such are in the minority. People spent such a large amount of time being offended at being asked for a cite, when just providing one would have taken but a few moments, and then later advocated "migrating" because they were asked for a cite... but yet still failed to provide a citation, it makes me wonder.
    Last edited by DrTodd; 09-03-2012 at 09:32 PM.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

    "Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

    Disclaimer I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

  25. #25
    Regular Member TheQ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Lansing, Michigan
    Posts
    3,448
    Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    I sure hope so. In general though, because I believe that many people seem to be advocating leaving OCDO because one shouldn't need to cite that which is legal, I would hope that those who advocate such are in the minority. People spent such a large amount of time being offended at being asked for a cite, when just providing one would have taken but a few moments, and then later advocated "migrating" because they were asked for a cite... but yet still failed to provide a citation, it makes me wonder.
    It's usually impossible to cite something that is legal. Show me the law that says OC is legal (and if you say MCL 28.422, I remind you that one is working on getting repealed and it doesn't address LGOC). Show me the law that says walking across the street is legal.

    We can cite resources that discuss a subject matter (recording in public) but we can't cite a law that says it's legal. I'm sure you know anything that isn't illegal is legal -- therefore, often things we do are legal because there is no law making it illegal. In these cases, one cannot cite what doesn't exist.

    AFA migrating, that idea was started by an individual. I have considered it myself, but hadn't state so publicly up until that point. Obviously, I've yet to succeed in regards to myself

    Many will note, I don't post here as often as I once did.

    In this thread all I did was refer to a thread on MOC where the information that is in the missing threads (that this post is about) resides.
    Last edited by TheQ; 09-03-2012 at 10:32 PM.
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

    I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

    Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •