Thread: A Day Late--OC'ers shoot small birds! DOVE SEASON OPEN

A Day Late--OC'ers shoot small birds! DOVE SEASON OPEN

My annual reminder that hunting season is open once again. More armed folks out and about this time of year.

Just a little situational awareness reminder from the Riverrat!
    Remember Peter Nap and Skidmark. Do them proud. Be active. Be well informed. ALL rights matter.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when you may have to back up your acts with your life."

--Robert A. Heinlein

Hey NSA! *&$# you. Record this--- MOLON LABE!

Banned
    I just fill up my bird feeder and wait ....

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Little birds mean too much time reloading for too little meat....and a sore shoulder.

Bow season starts in a little over a month, then the fun begins

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    Little birds mean too much time reloading for too little meat....and a sore shoulder.

There's an arrow that uses shot pellets? This I want to see!

Of course, since we are talking about Peter Nap I should not be that amazed.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    There's an arrow that uses shot pellets? This I want to see!

Of course, since we are talking about Peter Nap I should not be that amazed.

stay safe.
    Well now that you mention it...there is.

The older version of the bang stick head used a 12 ga shotgun shell as is. The newer one uses a blank.
    I have both since there is a serious problem with sharks in St Johns Creek.

I also have a Shark Dart which uses compressed air.

None of the above are really necessary for Doves....but then again, they can be dangerous when wounded.

In the words of the last American Hero "Shoot em with the biggest damn thing you have".
    Last edited by peter nap; 09-02-2012 at 04:58 PM.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    --snip--

In the words of the last American Hero "Shoot em with the biggest damn thing you have".
    Would give new meaning to the term Pâté
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-04-2012 at 12:22 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Reminds me of "The Case of the Exploding Chicken". The client was asked by his sister's boyfriend, a convicted felon, to come onto the property to kill a rogue (feral) rooster. He'd asked "animal control" to get the bird, but they'd given up after a couple of tries. Apparently, someone from the DGIF told him it would be ok to just shoot the bird. So client borrows his father's lever-action .30-30, loaded with Hornady varmint killers, and shoots the chicken. Charged with "reckless handling of a firearm" after a neighbor complained about the shooting so close to his house (it was in violation of a local zoning ordinance). At trial the kid needed damage control, the father wanted his gun back, and the prosecutor didn't want to have to try the case. We found another statute that he could be charged with, so the charge was amended to "Shooting Birds for Amusement", a class-four misdemeanor. The kid paid a $250 fine with no loss of rights, and father got his gun back. The judge thought the whole thing was pretty funny.
    Daniel L. Hawes - 540 347 2430 - HTTP://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

By the way, nothing I say on this website as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice, merely personal opinion. Everyone having a question regarding the application of law to the facts of their situation should seek the advice of an attorney competent in the subject matter of the issues presented and licensed to practice in the relevant state.

Although, in most counties, URBAN Early Archery Season started 1 September. See below:

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...tions/deer.asp
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Quote Originally Posted by stickslinger View Post
    Although, in most counties, URBAN Early Archery Season started 1 September. See below:

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting...tions/deer.asp
    The key word is "Urban" which doesn't include me SS. That's fine though...the fawns still have their spots.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    The key word is "Urban" which doesn't include me SS. That's fine though...the fawns still have their spots.
    So saith the urbane and debonaire young naturalist photographer.

You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

No "Urban" hunting season for me. I get to wait for the real thing! Archery season can't come soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Bowesmobile View Post
    No "Urban" hunting season for me. I get to wait for the real thing! Archery season can't come soon enough.
    It's way too warm for me. The meat would start turning before I got through butchering it.

Yeah, that is the truth. One thing my old home afforded. In the end of September and from October to April it was very cool if not cold. So you could wait a minute to butcher your kill. My mom remembers it snowing in September. But that was the exception and not the normal. The last 70 degree day was usually the end of September. After that it steadily fell into the freezing mark. Snow also can help you track... when opposed to a red color.

It is nice to be able to feel your fingers when you shoot. Something I like here.