Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Florida Airport Carry

  1. #1
    Regular Member Jay Jacobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canton, GA
    Posts
    100

    Florida Airport Carry

    Quote from the FL statutes on places off limits: "inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport"


    While the word "any" seems to make it clear enough. Does anyone know for a fact if this was intended to apply only to airline terminals or all airports including general aviation airport terminals on airports with no airline service?

    If not I think I'll write the state AG and ask.

  2. #2
    Regular Member rvrctyrngr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SE of DiSOrDEr, ,
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jacobs View Post
    Quote from the FL statutes on places off limits: "inside the passenger terminal and sterile area of any airport"


    While the word "any" seems to make it clear enough. Does anyone know for a fact if this was intended to apply only to airline terminals or all airports including general aviation airport terminals on airports with no airline service?

    If not I think I'll write the state AG and ask.
    Means just what it says, Jay. Any airport. Folks I know that utilize general aviation facilities stay out of the passenger terminal...if there is one present.
    Director,
    Florida Carry, Inc.

    Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

  3. #3
    Regular Member Jay Jacobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canton, GA
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by rvrctyrngr View Post
    Means just what it says, Jay. Any airport. Folks I know that utilize general aviation facilities stay out of the passenger terminal...if there is one present.
    Thanks. Odd though that next door in GA one can carry inside the busiest airline terminal in the world right up to the TSA check point but in FL you can't even carry in a general aviation only terminal. I guess logic wasn't utilized by the FL state legislators while composing the statutes.

  4. #4
    Regular Member rvrctyrngr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SE of DiSOrDEr, ,
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jacobs View Post
    Thanks. Odd though that next door in GA one can carry inside the busiest airline terminal in the world right up to the TSA check point but in FL you can't even carry in a general aviation only terminal. I guess logic wasn't utilized by the FL state legislators while composing the statutes.
    It was the same here in FL, initially, Jay. Could carry in the non-sterile areas of any airport. Someone slipped a mickey into an unrelated bill when the NRA wasn't looking. We're trying to change it back. No reason for the limitation.
    Director,
    Florida Carry, Inc.

    Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran Schlitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    1,567
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jacobs View Post
    Thanks. Odd though that next door in GA one can carry inside the busiest airline terminal in the world right up to the TSA check point but in FL you can't even carry in a general aviation only terminal. I guess logic wasn't utilized by the FL state legislators while composing the statutes.
    >logic

    >florida state legislators

    > lolnope.jpg
    “The claim and exercise of a constitutional right cannot be converted into a crime.”
    [Miller vs. U.S., 230 F. Supp. 486, 489 (1956)]
    “There can be no sanction or penalty imposed upon one because of his exercise of constitutional rights.”
    [Sherar vs. Cullen, 481 F2d. 946 (1973)]

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by rvrctyrngr View Post
    It was the same here in FL, initially, Jay. Could carry in the non-sterile areas of any airport. Someone slipped a mickey into an unrelated bill when the NRA wasn't looking. We're trying to change it back.
    Do you know why some of the odder carry restrictions in FL law are there? Like sporting events, school administrative buildings that aren't on school grounds, and "vo-tech" centers (which presumably are adult instruction, not minors)?

  7. #7
    Campaign Veteran StogieC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    746
    GA airports do not have "passenger terminals". They have "Fixed Based Operators" that provide " through-the-fence" access to the flight line to qualified individuals. All well established stuff.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Jay Jacobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canton, GA
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by StogieC View Post
    GA airports do not have "passenger terminals". They have "Fixed Based Operators" that provide " through-the-fence" access to the flight line to qualified individuals. All well established stuff.
    I'm not sure I know what you're getting at. All 50 states have general aviation only airports with FBO's.

    I'm a 30+ year professional pilot BTW.

  9. #9
    Campaign Veteran StogieC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jacobs View Post
    I'm not sure I know what you're getting at. All 50 states have general aviation only airports with FBO's.

    I'm a 30+ year professional pilot BTW.
    GA = General Aviation. Not a state.

    You can carry in FL at an FBO, and even on to the ramp, just don't go in to the commercial air carrier (FAR Part 121) "passenger terminal".
    Last edited by StogieC; 09-15-2012 at 03:03 PM.

  10. #10
    Regular Member Jay Jacobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canton, GA
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by StogieC View Post
    GA = General Aviation. Not a state.

    You can carry in FL at an FBO, and even on to the ramp, just don't go in to the commercial air carrier (FAR Part 121) "passenger terminal".
    So you're in disagreement with earlier responders then? And you think it is legal to carry in an FBO in the state of FL?

  11. #11
    Campaign Veteran StogieC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    746
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Jacobs View Post
    So you're in disagreement with earlier responders then? And you think it is legal to carry in an FBO in the state of FL?
    I do it all the time. I just admitted that publicly. I am the Executive Director of Florida's largest independent Second Amendment rights organization. If I were not sure, I wouldn't do it.

    Please feel free to consult your own attorney if you are concerned. I'm happy to recommend some if you need one who knows FL firearms laws well.

    If a general aviation airport had a "passenger terminal" under the federal meaning of the term, that would be different. An FBO is not the same thing. Pt. 135 operations are also not the same as Pt. 121. As a commercial pilot, this should be no surprise to you.
    Last edited by StogieC; 09-15-2012 at 08:56 PM.

  12. #12
    Regular Member rvrctyrngr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SE of DiSOrDEr, ,
    Posts
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by randian View Post
    Do you know why some of the odder carry restrictions in FL law are there? Like sporting events, school administrative buildings that aren't on school grounds, and "vo-tech" centers (which presumably are adult instruction, not minors)?
    School administration buildings that are not on school grounds are not off limits (Florida Carry just had a case recently concerning this).

    As to the others...part of the sausage making process. I was all ready on active duty during the '87 legislative session, so am not privy as to what all happened that produced the final bill that became the Jack Hagler Self-Defense Act (790.06).
    Director,
    Florida Carry, Inc.

    Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by rvrctyrngr View Post
    School administration buildings that are not on school grounds are not off limits (Florida Carry just had a case recently concerning this).
    Is that a recent change in case law? Why do cheat sheets like the handgunlaw.us ones have school administration buildings as a separate restriction from school grounds? It would be redundant if it were limited to school grounds, since school grounds are already an off-limits area.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Jay Jacobs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Canton, GA
    Posts
    100
    Quote Originally Posted by StogieC View Post
    ...If a general aviation airport had a "passenger terminal" under the federal meaning of the term, that would be different. An FBO is not the same thing. Pt. 135 operations are also not the same as Pt. 121. As a commercial pilot, this should be no surprise to you.
    THIS is actually what I was hoping the statute meant when I started the thread. Thanks for the response. I live and am licensed in Georgia but travel to Florida frequently. (I CC at airports)
    Last edited by Jay Jacobs; 09-16-2012 at 10:31 AM.

  15. #15
    Regular Member ADulay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Punta Gorda, Florida, USA
    Posts
    466
    Hey, this thread worked out just fine for me. It even answered some nagging questions I had about private airport property!

    I wind up on the "non-commercial" side of the airport fence from time to time and wasn't quite sure of my legality in Florida.

    All those years as an FFDO and it wasn't a problem but then I retired and now I'm just like all the other "civilians" out there!

    AD
    NRA Life - AMA Life - ABATE Life
    Viet-Nam Helicopters Pilots Assn - Life
    IDPA, ICORE and USPSA carry gun shooter - Glock Armorer
    NRA Certified Instructor

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    32
    This is an old thread, but I'll add this for the benefit of anyone coming across it during a search for relevant information.
    This is the line from the statutory section on places "off-limits" to carry that applies to this question.

    10. Any elementary or secondary school facility or administration building;
    It appears that school administration buildings are included in the prohibition on carry. There is no stipulation that the building must be on a school campus to be either included in, or excluded from, the prohibition.

    Now, it appears that a school board office might actually be excluded from the prohibition because it is not the administration building to any one primary or secondary school. If I'm right about that, the one exception would be into the section of the office in which a meeting of the school board is actively taking place. See below (from the same statutory section.)

    7. Any meeting of the governing body of a county, public school district, municipality, or special district;

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •