• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Why do you Open Carry?

Bronson

Whaaaaattt?? But Bronson, you are my hero! Every time I think about CC'ing I just ask myself, "WWBD -- What Would Bronson Do?". Then I just OC! It makes my life so much simpler!

I have been OC'ing much more this summer because riding the bike it is much easier and more comfortable. Also, trying to OC on some normal shopping trips.

Oh I'll OC again but not until I can comfortably wear a tucked in shirt. For whatever reason I have been "blessed" with the sweat glands of four normal men so tucking in a shirt when it's hot or more than about .5% humidity just doesn't work for me. That and I'm not comfortable OCing without a recorder running but I've replaced the lost one so that's no longer an issue.

Bronson

TheQ

I liked everything about this piece except this part:

Somehow that part didn't sit well with me. Not because I'm a type 3 (I'm certainly not), but because types 1 and 2 are about as extreme and undesirable to Fudds as type 3 is to us. "You give the rest of us a bad name" is the EXACT same argument that Fudds use against those of us who legitimately open carry, and it's the same thing people here say about LGOC. It's a very bad argument to make to someone who understands that their liberty is theirs as an individual, not because they belong to a group. When I hear that argument, my libertarian rebelliousness starts showing- "I'll do whatever the hell I want to do, your name is of no concern to me and my rights!", even though I reject type 3.

Telling someone to not open carry is not our place. Telling someone their individual actions somehow gives us a bad name--- to me, it implies group rights, something I think we should all get into the habit of abandoning. We should be clear in affirming that what someone else does DOESN'T impact our good name, since they are acting as individuals. We shouldn't be acknowledging that what they do impacts our name! In fact, all open carry should be an act of individuals. Some of us choose to band together for strength and support, not for our rights to be acknowledged as a group right. Still, those people open carry as an individual act of their liberty.

Instead, our place should be to tell people what we do and what we don't do. For example, I don't open carry to seek attention from police. I don't open carry to invoke fear or discomfort in the public. I do open carry to positively desensitize the public about my right to carry. I do carry for self-defense. I do open carry as a public political statement expressing my love for my liberty.

That's a very positive message that encourages even the most defiant libertarian amongst us, without any demands for disarmament or any implications of group rights.

But again, that was just a small part of this piece that I didn't like. Everything else was spot on.

Here is an example of such a person: I once knew a man who would walk up and down downtown streets when there was a lot of police officers present and make it a point to flip off every police officer he saw.

Is this the type of person that we want representing us?

I too am a libertarian, I totally understand individualism. Unfortunately, most of the world doesn't and they still cling to stereotypes. :(

It is because of this we need to call out the undesirable behavior amongst ourselves and make it clear that that doesn't represent most of us.

Last edited:

griffin

Here is an example of such a person: I once knew a man who would walk up and down downtown streets when there was a lot of police officers present and make it a point to flip off every police officer he saw.

Is this the type of person that we want representing us?

I too am a libertarian, I totally understand individualism. Unfortunately, most of the world doesn't and they still cling to stereotypes. :(

It is because of this we need to call out the undesirable behavior amongst ourselves and make it clear that that doesn't represent most of us.

Oh, you mean like this guy? (This was taken from another OCDO thread). Warning: NSFW language.

[video=youtube;wdlIxi3J4ws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdlIxi3J4ws[/video]

TheQ

Oh, you mean like this guy? (This was taken from another OCDO thread). Warning: NSFW language.

[video=youtube;wdlIxi3J4ws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdlIxi3J4ws[/video]

Pretty much. That fellow who lives in Oregon and is frequently trolling the cops and private people for negative OC interactions comes to mind also.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
In truth I haven't OCed in quite a while. The crazy hot weather this year has made wearing a tucked in shirt a non-option for me. That coupled with losing my recorder and not having a holster with, IMO, good enough retention has left me CCing. I've replaced the recorder and the holster and was planning on OCing up at Mackinac this past weekend but again it was too bloody hot for a tucked in shirt so it was CC all weekend.

Bronson

Why not just un-tuck your shirt?

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Ummm, I do...which is why my gun is concealed. I don't like to put the tail of an untucked shirt behind the gun because, well...I think it looks doofy.

Bronson

I do agree that a "shirt tail" behind a gun looks silly, but most people under 30 think that a shirt tucked in looks silly too. I usually wear T-shirts during the warmer months, but then again my work demands are pretty low during the summer.