• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

stopped x2 handcuffed seached gun and billfold taken threatened with DC/CCW revoked

ps1mhd

Went to Riverfest today and Newport PD stopped me said I couldn't leave and that they (3cops)
wanted to talk with me. I said I didn't want to talk with them. Then the clp. made a phone call came back and gave the normal warning and said I could go. 2 hours later I went over to Bellevue Ky and had dinner
as I am walking across the parking lot two bike cops stopped me playing good cop bad cop.
Started asking want I was doing and why. I asked why I was being detained. They said they had compliants
MWAG (I will post my tape and video shortly). Part of the video I had my camera in my hand handcuffed behind my back. They searched me, took my gun and wallet, called in my gun and driver's license, and called to see if I had a CCW Then he started threating me with arrest for DC and saying I had to tell them I had a CCW. Most of the time I tried not to say anything. Hard for me:lol:. After this, he put my wallet and gun back. The other cop put my mag and the ejected round in my shirt pocket and uncuffed me hurting my wrist. They said I could go and not to load the gun untill I was far away.
I will be doing FOIA requests and letters to the chiefs and mayors.

Will post more later

Mike

KYGlockster

Activist Member
What is happening in KY that is causing all this madness? You and charley both need to sue these idiots! I find it odd that all of these arrests and illegal detainments are happening all of a sudden for OC!?!? They can't stop you for OCing, and they certainly can't detain or arrest!

ps1mhd

What is happening in KY that is causing all this madness? You and charley both need to sue these idiots! I find it odd that all of these arrests and illegal detainments are happening all of a sudden for OC!?!? They can't stop you for OCing, and they certainly can't detain or arrest!

I don't know. I will say that I passed by Newport police and Maybe 4 other departments at Riverfest after the first stop with Newport PD and no one stopped me again. The Newport PD stop was short and friendly
didn't even ask my name. The one cop said he is a 1911 fan seeing that is what I carry. (I do know they had no RAS to stop me.)
Bellevue is a different story.

Mike

Fallschirjmäger

Just look at it for what it is; a game (or contest if you will) between their will and yours. They hope you will tire of the game and stop carrying.
It's just a simple matter of who will get tired of the game fastest.

They want you to play the game by their rules; I politely suggest you make them play it according to your rules and at your convenience.

jaymack

Those videos left me speechless with my blood boiling... still am. I have watched several OC videos online (youtube is packed) mostly from CA, WA & OR. I would have NEVER guessed that harassment like this would become common at home. I rarely OC - CC is just what I'm comfortable with-have to for work anyway.

I've always wondered how the podunk PD's or SO in this county would handle either of the two. My initial thought is that they would have NO CLUE HOW TO handle it. Depressing. I am pro-LEO... but never have any negative dealings with them.

LESGTINCT

I am a LEO and it pains me to see this, POs that do not know the law. Training is woefully inadequate in this area of firearms law.

Fuller Malarkey

I am a LEO and it pains me to see this, POs that do not know the law. Training is woefully inadequate in this area of firearms law.

You don't train away this kind of disrespect, nor is the disrespect a product of lack of training.

It's an insult to suggest it is.

Fallschirmjäger sums it up:"Just look at it for what it is; a game (or contest if you will) between their will and yours. They hope you will tire of the game and stop carrying.
It's just a simple matter of who will get tired of the game fastest.

They want you to play the game by their rules; I politely suggest you make them play it according to your rules and at your convenience."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Thank you for being here and providing such input as you may.
icon14.png

MKEgal

What is wrong with these people?! :mad:
I think this is the 3rd or 4th time just today that I've posted this info. ...
Have a look at the several bits of federal Code in my blog here. There are links to read the actual laws.
42USC1983 Civil action for deprivation of rights
42USC1985 Conspiracy to interfere with civil rights
18USC241 Conspiracy against rights

The first 2 are civil actions - you file a lawsuit against the officers, departments, cities.
That last is a felony:
If two or more persons conspire to injure, oppress, threaten, or intimidate any person in any State ... in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege secured to him by the Constitution or laws of the United States, or because of his having so exercised the same
They shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ten years, or both...

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
If any of you Kentuckians (sp?) need someone to OC with you, demonstrate that your efforts will be supported by KC3 and I'll come right across the river to help you make your point.

Heck, I'll probably bring a few Ohioans with me!

(Cincinnati, OH is right across the Ohio River from Newport, KY)

Mike

Site Co-Founder
This recent spate of police harassment of open carriers in Kentucky is odd given the fact that the Kentucky supreme court has ruled that **open carry is constitutionally protected by the state constitution** - in fact the case pertained to a police chief open carrying off duty. (case cite not handy at this time).

Looks like the folks invovled need to get legal counsel and sue for damages and injunctive relief for violation of their Fourth Amendment and other rights. 42 USC 1983 provides the cause of action and 42 USC 1988 provides for attorney fee shifting if the Plaintiff prevails. Look for civil rights attornies who will take the case on a contingency basis.

hobbles

Ya know Boys, I'm from out west and used to ride horses with a lot of cops and was very close friends with a few. I was always told that if I ever had a problem with a cop, to ask to see his supervisor. (I was told this by a supervisor) I have done this twice and both times, (once out west and once here in Ky) the cop changed his attitude and got friendly real fast. Why doesn't anybody do that here? The shift supervisor should know the rules better then the cop does, that's there job. When the supervisor does show up, attitude is an important thing.