• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry class for my sister?

anmut

My sister recently moved down to Houston because of her husband's job. Recently someone was robbed at gun point in their "secure apartment complex." Even though my sister is a huge anti from the liberal Madison, WI, I am hoping that she is at least thinking about possibly getting a CCL if I offer to pay for it. She's never had hunters safety and does not posses any experience with firearms.

So after a google search I found about a million and one companies in the Houston area for training. I'm wondering if some locals could give me a heads up on who I could trust to send her to.

rodbender

You are putting the cart before the horse. The horse (what should come first) is talking to her to find out if she wants to do this thing. Then it would be prudent to get her enrolled in a firearm safety course. Then you should be talking about CHL classes. You can get all the info in the world about which CHL class to attend, if she is not willing to do it, waste of everyone's time and effort.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
I agree: You need to get the "preliminaries" out of the way before you move on to her actually carrying.

Especially -- right up front -- making sure she can shoot/kill someone without hesitation if need be. If she (or ANYone) can't get past that psychological issue (many people can't) then she should not carry a firearm. Period. Get her something non-lethal then -- a stun gun maybe?

But if she CAN, then you might want to look for a class taught by a woman...some women feel more comfortable (and less intimidated) with women instructors -- ask her about that.

Good luck...

Last edited:

rushcreek2

Law enforcement repeatedly has failed "to protect and to serve". It may be a noteworthy goal - but it is yet to be fulfilled- and most likely never will be. So your sister is now located in one of the highest crime metro areas in the U.S.

Ask her this - does she want to avoid being robbed, kidnapped, raped, or murdered ? This will of course be a rhetorical question.

Then when she says YESSSS - tell her that she has two options. Make the decision to protect herself with a deadly weapon - or move far, far away from Houston , Texas - or any other crime infested urban area in the U.S.

She is engaged in the same pathetic exercise of hoping, and praying that the sadistic criminals in Houston will choose another young female to assault, rob, kidnap, rape, murder other than herself.

I speak crudely about such things because that is the long & short of it all. She needs to snap out of her societal brainwashing and assume responsibility for her own safety.

YOU understand this - obviously because you are concerned about her safety in Houston - as you should be.

Unless your sister has a Houston police officer assigned to protect her 24/7 - what are her odds ?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...She is engaged in the same pathetic exercise of hoping, and praying that the sadistic criminals in Houston will choose another young female to assault, rob, kidnap, rape, murder other than herself.

I speak crudely about such things because that is the long & short of it all. She needs to snap out of her societal brainwashing and assume responsibility for her own safety...
While we don't know the mindset of the OP's sister, to your analysis of the mindset of the hardcore anti/oblivious I say:

AMEN!!

Excellent, excellent points, sir.

To the OP - please keep us posted. Godspeed.

Last edited: