• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What would ‘President Romney’ really mean for gun owners?

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
“Deadly assault weapons … are not made for recreation or self-defense. They are instruments of destruction with the sole purpose of hunting down and killing people.”
- Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney
As the Republican National Convention comes to a close, it is time for me to live up to the promise I made when I wrote aboutWhy gun owners should fear a second term for President Obama. That promise was to give the Republican nominee the same skeptical scrutiny that I gave to President Obama. And just as in that previous article, I am limiting my discussion to gun rights issues only.
I think it is only fair to note that, going into this article, I had some preconceived notions. Surely whoever the GOP nominated would be a sympathetic figure from a gun rights perspective wouldn’t they? After all, isn’t the GOP the gun-rights party? Well as it turns out, maybe not if you are a Massachusetts republican.
Read more at http://monachuslex.com/?p=1744

sudden valley gunner

Good article John.

I have about equal faith (zero) in Romney or Obama.

Even the ability to appoint judges. Conservative appointed Roberts, had very twisted logic to rule in favor of Federal intervention into Health Care. I remember hearing somewhere recently when he was promoting his book that he does feel that it would be constitutional to allow restriction on firearms.

John Pierce

Administrator
Staff member
I understand and share the frustration with Roberts on that ruling. But the 'conservative' justices did give us Heller and McDonald and there are other cases working their way to SCOTUS.

We need those seats!

John

Good article John.

I have about equal faith (zero) in Romney or Obama.

Even the ability to appoint judges. Conservative appointed Roberts, had very twisted logic to rule in favor of Federal intervention into Health Care. I remember hearing somewhere recently when he was promoting his book that he does feel that it would be constitutional to allow restriction on firearms.

sudden valley gunner

I understand and share the frustration with Roberts on that ruling. But the 'conservative' justices did give us Heller and McDonald and there are other cases working their way to SCOTUS.

We need those seats!

John

It is sad how narrow the decisions, on something any elementary school child could understand.

scott58dh

We need those seats!

John

+1 !!! for SCOTUS.

VERY CRITICAL & MAJOR POINT OF FOCUS FOR THIS COMING ELECTION.

F350

What would a Romney Presidency mean for gun owners? Very little. Assuming the standard coattail effect Rs will retain house and take senate, from which there will be NO gun control legislation, and Romney should be held in check by conservatives on any Executive orders. Don 't look for any pro-second ammendment action from the White House either.

The BIGGEST effect will be more conservative justices appointed to all levels of the federal judiciary than Obummer would make.

Last edited:

RetiredOC

Campaign Veteran
People seem to forget Romney is likely going to nominate people that share his views.

This

Do you guys think Romney would appoint a justice that would strike down his own gun laws signed in mass. as unconstitutional?

EDIT: Do you even think Romney is the one making the calls? Or is he just the current GOP puppet?

Last edited:

kimbercarrier

Campaign Veteran
I believe Obomney will be worse because most people think all Republocrts are pro gun. They will vote for him and be totally shocked when he passes anti-gun legislation because they only listen to sound bytes and don't look at track records.

When Obomney started running over a year ago he stood by his record in Taxachusettes and he caught a lot of flak for it. As time has gone on he has modified his statements to be more palatable to the Republican masses and they have fallen for it.

I've even heard national talk radio hosts say he has gotten his rhetoric down and now they are even swayed into supporting him even though they just basically confirmed he was just saying what Republicans want to hear.

By voting for the evil of 2 lessors we have backed ourselves into a corner and now have no real choice to vote for by the 2 parties.

Jack House

And Obama HAS appointed people who share his view.

Dont be stupid.
Exactly, what makes you think that Romney is going to be any different? He has been lying through his teeth since he started his campaign. His record is very similar to Obama's, except that Romney has actually had the opportunity to do more for gun control than Obama.

Don't be stupid. :rolleyes: