Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 40

Thread: Visit To Claytor Lake State Park & return date 9/22/12

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Stuarts Draft, Va
    Posts
    71

    Exclamation Visit To Claytor Lake State Park & return date 9/22/12

    Went down to visit another family from our church who was staying there this weekend. When we got there we went straight to the swimming area to enjoy the day. When we met up with the other family the other father handed me a pamphlet that they were given upon checking in. Here's what I found....








    Not long after getting this I noticed a State Park Policeman walking through so I decided I pick his brain. When I approached him I noticed his badge said "Chief Officer Matthew Wright"....not sure if he's the head cheese there but I would assume so. After a few seconds of making my point known he said the pamphlet was "flat out wrong" and that "he needed to order new ones". He also made it clear that he's anti-OC by saying that he would "be my best friend" if he saw me carrying openly and never let me out of his sight. He also said that he thinks people who OC just want attention and "that's what CC is for". I expressed to Officer Wright that harassing people just because they're carrying would be a bad idea but he said he's just "exercising his own rights" by hovering over them. There was no recording because I was without my "gear"....we were planning on being in the water.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-04-2012 at 09:55 PM.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Stuarts Draft, Va
    Posts
    71
    He also made it clear that any firearm would be removed for "his safety". He said he "HAD" to remove the firearm. I replied with: "NO, you don't HAVE to..." to which to replied: "Well it's in my training..."

    --Moderator Note--
    For the planned event/response see:

    Posts #21 & #22 in this thread

    Operation Golden Trout is on for Saturday, Sept 22, 2012.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 09-04-2012 at 09:57 PM.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Riana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Fairfax County, VA
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidgeTrapper View Post
    He also made it clear that he's anti-OC by saying that he would "be my best friend" if he saw me carrying openly and never let me out of his sight.
    So if a bunch of OCers got together for a picnic, would we have to provide food for him, too? Since he'd be hovering around? After all, he'd be our best friend, right?

    Not that I'm suggesting that, of course.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Stuarts Draft, Va
    Posts
    71
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidgeTrapper View Post
    He also made it clear that any firearm would be removed for "his safety". He said he "HAD" to remove the firearm. I replied with: "NO, you don't HAVE to..." to which to replied: "Well it's in my training..."
    Let me clarify this (it's late and I'm tired). He said IF he needed to deal with someone he would remove it. With his previous comments I would imagine he would make a point to try to get pushy if given the chance.

  5. #5
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidgeTrapper View Post
    Let me clarify this (it's late and I'm tired). He said IF he needed to deal with someone he would remove it. With his previous comments I would imagine he would make a point to try to get pushy if given the chance.
    Some discussion with the Boss is in order.
    Last edited by peter nap; 09-03-2012 at 12:52 AM.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Stuarts Draft, Va
    Posts
    71
    Peter...his vehicle said "Park Police" or something along those lines. An article I found online addresses him as "Chief Ranger".

  7. #7
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidgeTrapper View Post
    Peter...his vehicle said "Park Police" or something along those lines. An article I found online addresses him as "Chief Ranger".
    Thanks! I saw that after I posted and changed it.

    I'll give him a call on Tuesday then follow up with a letter to the Director and a copy to the Governor.
    That was inexcusable.

    Do they still have Golden Trout in the lake?
    Last edited by peter nap; 09-03-2012 at 01:04 AM.

  8. #8
    Activist Member nuc65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Lynchburg, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,121
    So in effect yould be OCing a cop... hahahaha

    A picnic with number of video cameras would be in order. What's new about a LEO violating or making up the law as they go?





    ---------------
    The Second Amendment - the original homeland security.
    Last edited by nuc65; 09-03-2012 at 06:14 AM.
    When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

    excerpt By Marko Kloos (http://munchkinwrangler.wordpress.com/?s=major+caudill)

  9. #9
    Regular Member SouthernBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    5,849
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidgeTrapper View Post
    Went down to visit another family from our church who was staying there this weekend. When we got there we went straight to the swimming area to enjoy the day. When we met up with the other family the other father handed me a pamphlet that they were given upon checking in. Here's what I found....








    Not long after getting this I noticed a State Park Policeman walking through so I decided I pick his brain. When I approached him I noticed his badge said "Chief Officer Matthew Wright"....not sure if he's the head cheese there but I would assume so. After a few seconds of making my point known he said the pamphlet was "flat out wrong" and that "he needed to order new ones". He also made it clear that he's anti-OC by saying that he would "be my best friend" if he saw me carrying openly and never let me out of his sight. He also said that he thinks people who OC just want attention and "that's what CC is for". I expressed to Officer Wright that harassing people just because they're carrying would be a bad idea but he said he's just "exercising his own rights" by hovering over them. There was no recording because I was without my "gear"....we were planning on being in the water.
    So he thinks that police officers just want attention, eh? After all, they OC.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

    America First!

  10. #10
    Regular Member paramedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Waycross, GA
    Posts
    118
    Sounds like it is time for another OH YES WE CAN picnic

  11. #11
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic View Post
    Sounds like it is time for another OH YES WE CAN picnic
    I'm up for it!

  12. #12
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic View Post
    Sounds like it is time for another OH YES WE CAN picnic
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I'm up for it!
    I'll bring the potato salad.

    Oh, by the way, just where exactly is this place? (kidding, folks, just kidding)

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  13. #13
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I'll bring the potato salad.

    Oh, by the way, just where exactly is this place? (kidding, folks, just kidding)

    stay safe.
    OK...operation "Golden Trout" is in the Q. What date?

  14. #14
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580


    ...

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Stuarts Draft, Va
    Posts
    71
    Not sure if they still have the trout Nap...I love the logo though! I do know that they patrol the property heavily and any event would draw some attention (I mean, that's what he said we wanted...right?)


    I have a funny feeling he won't be ordering new pamphlets until someone puts a boot into their nether region

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    OK...operation "Golden Trout" is in the Q. What date?
    I'll call first thing tomorrow (Tuesday) and see what Saturdays are available after Sept. 15th. (Tried to look up on-line but for some reason they do not want to let anybody reserve picnic shelters on-line.)

    I'll book the first available Saturday that is 9/29 or later, unless someone says differently ASAP (as in before 8 AM Tuesday).

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  17. #17
    Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    13,580
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I'll call first thing tomorrow (Tuesday) and see what Saturdays are available after Sept. 15th. (Tried to look up on-line but for some reason they do not want to let anybody reserve picnic shelters on-line.)

    I'll book the first available Saturday that is 9/29 or later, unless someone says differently ASAP (as in before 8 AM Tuesday).

    stay safe.
    Sounds good Skid. I'm going to yank some chains in the morning.

  18. #18
    Campaign Veteran T Dubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Va, ,
    Posts
    892
    I have fished Claytor Lake. I used an orange rooster tail I bought from Dick's and caught a fish on my very first cast. Never done that before or since. They have a real nice picnic area right on topic the water right across from an excellent fishing spot if y'all were thinking about another outing. They also have some nice looking rental cabins on the other side of the lake. That wouldn't be a day trip for me. I'd want to stay the night.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

  19. #19
    Campaign Veteran T Dubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Va, ,
    Posts
    892
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I'll call first thing tomorrow (Tuesday) and see what Saturdays are available after Sept. 15th. (Tried to look up on-line but for some reason they do not want to let anybody reserve picnic shelters on-line.)

    I'll book the first available Saturday that is 9/29 or later, unless someone says differently ASAP (as in before 8 AM Tuesday).

    stay safe.
    If you could make it the weekend of September 22 I'll go, but I'm staying the night if I do. That's a wicked long drive from Richmond.
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

  20. #20
    Campaign Veteran T Dubya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Richmond, Va, ,
    Posts
    892
    Duplicate
    Last edited by T Dubya; 09-04-2012 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Duplicate post
    "These are the shock troops (opencarry.org) of the gun lobby. And, they are not going away."
    Ceasefire NJ Director Brian Miller, NJ.com, August 20, 2009

  21. #21
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682

    Oh yes we can, claytor lake state park

    It's on! Claytor Lake State Park, Shelter #4, Saturday Sept 22, 2012.

    It's ours!

    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  22. #22
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    No need to RSVP, but it would be nice to know who is bringing what.

    Being the weenie I am I will be arriving Friday night and camping in a location that provides room service. I'll charge up the gimpmobile overnight and be at SHELTER #4 at some time in the morning after I have located coffee.

    See y'all there.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  23. #23
    Regular Member papa bear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    mayberry, nc
    Posts
    2,258
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    No need to RSVP, but it would be nice to know who is bringing what.

    Being the weenie I am I will be arriving Friday night and camping in a location that provides room service. I'll charge up the gimpmobile overnight and be at SHELTER #4 at some time in the morning after I have located coffee.

    See y'all there.

    stay safe.
    thats in my backyard SKID, i sent it to some of the other VCDL in the area a heads up. is there anything i can bring?
    Last edited by papa bear; 09-04-2012 at 05:02 PM.
    Luke 22:36 ; 36Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

    "guns are like a Parachute, if you don't have one when you need it, you will not need one again"
    - unknown

    i you call a CHP a CCW then you are really stupid. period.

  24. #24
    Regular Member paramedic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Waycross, GA
    Posts
    118
    Well I guess since I was the first to suggest it, myself and my family will be there. Are doing it as pot luck, or bringing for just own family. What time are we looking at.
    Last edited by paramedic; 09-04-2012 at 05:08 PM.

  25. #25
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic View Post
    Well I guess since I was the first to suggest it, myself and my family will be there. Are doing it as pot luck, or bringing for just own family. What time are we looking at.
    Quote Originally Posted by papa bear View Post
    thats in my backyard SKID, i sent it to some of the other VCDL in the area a heads up. is there anything i can bring?
    Saturday, Sept. 22, 2012 6 AM (if anybody expects me to show up that early they are crazy) till 10 PM (if anyone wants to stay till then it's OK, but after that you have to leave).

    I'm thinking pot luck, like the other Oh Yes We Can picnics. I guess we ought to start a list, so here goes:

    burgers - 2 boxes - skidmark
    burger buns - 48* -
    hot dogs - 4 dozen* -
    hot dog buns - 4 dozen* -
    mustard -
    relish -
    catsup (or ketchup if you insist) -
    paper plates - 50
    plastic cups (not red) - 50
    plastic knives/forks/spoons - 50 ea -
    napkins - lots -
    paper towels - 2 rolls* -
    cola - 24* -
    diet cola - 24* -
    Sprite/Sierra Mist/7-Up - 24 -
    water - 48* (2 cases) -
    potato salad - skidmark (since I called dibs already)
    tomatoes -
    onions -
    watermelon -
    cookies/brownies/snickerdoodles -
    sugar-free diabetic deserts for those with diabeetus -
    ice - lots -
    coolers/clean trash cans to cool drinks -
    trash bags -
    charcoal - 40 lbs* -
    charcoal lighter -
    BBQ Utensils -
    aluminum serving pans -
    plastic tablecloths - 8* -

    * all quantities are guessing there will be 40 folks attending. We can reassess quantities during the week.

    Anything I have not listed but you want to bring is fine.

    Anybody that wants to bring frisbees, kites, badminton, horseshoes or other recreational stuff is encouraged to do so.

    Please cut & paste the list into your new post, adding your name next to what you are going to bring. The idea is to get a running estimate of whether the essentials and the frills will be covered by Friday, 9/21, so that last-minute coverage can be arranged for.

    Woo Hoo! Oh yes we can!

    stay safe.
    Last edited by skidmark; 09-04-2012 at 10:12 PM. Reason: added times
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •