• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Visit To Claytor Lake State Park & return date 9/22/12

BlueRidgeTrapper

Went down to visit another family from our church who was staying there this weekend. When we got there we went straight to the swimming area to enjoy the day. When we met up with the other family the other father handed me a pamphlet that they were given upon checking in. Here's what I found....

2012-09-02225906.jpg

2012-09-02230020.jpg

Not long after getting this I noticed a State Park Policeman walking through so I decided I pick his brain. When I approached him I noticed his badge said "Chief Officer Matthew Wright"....not sure if he's the head cheese there but I would assume so. After a few seconds of making my point known he said the pamphlet was "flat out wrong" and that "he needed to order new ones". He also made it clear that he's anti-OC by saying that he would "be my best friend" if he saw me carrying openly and never let me out of his sight. He also said that he thinks people who OC just want attention and "that's what CC is for". I expressed to Officer Wright that harassing people just because they're carrying would be a bad idea but he said he's just "exercising his own rights" by hovering over them. There was no recording because I was without my "gear"....we were planning on being in the water.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueRidgeTrapper

He also made it clear that any firearm would be removed for "his safety". He said he "HAD" to remove the firearm. I replied with: "NO, you don't HAVE to..." to which to replied: "Well it's in my training..."

--Moderator Note--
For the planned event/response see:

Posts #21 & #22 in this thread

Operation Golden Trout is on for Saturday, Sept 22, 2012.

Last edited by a moderator:

Riana

He also made it clear that he's anti-OC by saying that he would "be my best friend" if he saw me carrying openly and never let me out of his sight.

So if a bunch of OCers got together for a picnic, would we have to provide food for him, too? Since he'd be hovering around? After all, he'd be our best friend, right?

Not that I'm suggesting that, of course. :dude:

BlueRidgeTrapper

He also made it clear that any firearm would be removed for "his safety". He said he "HAD" to remove the firearm. I replied with: "NO, you don't HAVE to..." to which to replied: "Well it's in my training..."

Let me clarify this (it's late and I'm tired). He said IF he needed to deal with someone he would remove it. With his previous comments I would imagine he would make a point to try to get pushy if given the chance.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Let me clarify this (it's late and I'm tired). He said IF he needed to deal with someone he would remove it. With his previous comments I would imagine he would make a point to try to get pushy if given the chance.
Some discussion with the Boss is in order.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Peter...his vehicle said "Park Police" or something along those lines. An article I found online addresses him as "Chief Ranger".

Thanks! I saw that after I posted and changed it.

I'll give him a call on Tuesday then follow up with a letter to the Director and a copy to the Governor.
That was inexcusable.

Do they still have Golden Trout in the lake?

Last edited:

nuc65

Activist Member
So in effect yould be OCing a cop... hahahaha

A picnic with number of video cameras would be in order. What's new about a LEO violating or making up the law as they go?

---------------
The Second Amendment - the original homeland security.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Went down to visit another family from our church who was staying there this weekend. When we got there we went straight to the swimming area to enjoy the day. When we met up with the other family the other father handed me a pamphlet that they were given upon checking in. Here's what I found....

2012-09-02225906.jpg

2012-09-02230020.jpg

Not long after getting this I noticed a State Park Policeman walking through so I decided I pick his brain. When I approached him I noticed his badge said "Chief Officer Matthew Wright"....not sure if he's the head cheese there but I would assume so. After a few seconds of making my point known he said the pamphlet was "flat out wrong" and that "he needed to order new ones". He also made it clear that he's anti-OC by saying that he would "be my best friend" if he saw me carrying openly and never let me out of his sight. He also said that he thinks people who OC just want attention and "that's what CC is for". I expressed to Officer Wright that harassing people just because they're carrying would be a bad idea but he said he's just "exercising his own rights" by hovering over them. There was no recording because I was without my "gear"....we were planning on being in the water.

So he thinks that police officers just want attention, eh? After all, they OC.

BlueRidgeTrapper

Not sure if they still have the trout Nap...I love the logo though! I do know that they patrol the property heavily and any event would draw some attention (I mean, that's what he said we wanted...right?) :banana:

I have a funny feeling he won't be ordering new pamphlets until someone puts a boot into their nether region :rolleyes:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
OK...operation "Golden Trout" is in the Q. What date?

I'll call first thing tomorrow (Tuesday) and see what Saturdays are available after Sept. 15th. (Tried to look up on-line but for some reason they do not want to let anybody reserve picnic shelters on-line.)

I'll book the first available Saturday that is 9/29 or later, unless someone says differently ASAP (as in before 8 AM Tuesday).

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I'll call first thing tomorrow (Tuesday) and see what Saturdays are available after Sept. 15th. (Tried to look up on-line but for some reason they do not want to let anybody reserve picnic shelters on-line.)

I'll book the first available Saturday that is 9/29 or later, unless someone says differently ASAP (as in before 8 AM Tuesday).

stay safe.

Sounds good Skid. I'm going to yank some chains in the morning.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran
I have fished Claytor Lake. I used an orange rooster tail I bought from Dick's and caught a fish on my very first cast. Never done that before or since. They have a real nice picnic area right on topic the water right across from an excellent fishing spot if y'all were thinking about another outing. They also have some nice looking rental cabins on the other side of the lake. That wouldn't be a day trip for me. I'd want to stay the night.

T Dubya

Campaign Veteran

stay safe.

If you could make it the weekend of September 22 I'll go, but I'm staying the night if I do. That's a wicked long drive from Richmond.